• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bill Walton

Started by usc4valpo, November 19, 2018, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Is a breath of fresh air. It would great to hear him announce a Valpo game.

vu84v2

Is high when he does broadcasts. Beyond that, he does no game preparation and would know nothing about Valparaiso or any of its players.

usc4valpo

He is different, that's for sure. He and Todd would work well together.

VUGrad1314

I can hear it now:
"And those quick feet and sound positioning are what makes Derrik Smits Valpo's defensive anchor"

"Micah Bradford is one of the premier shooters in the MVC if not the entire NCAA"

"Defenders know they can't stop John Kiser on offense They can only hope to contain him"

"Mileek McMillan is such a disciplined defender. He knows just where and how to position himself to avoid unnecessary fouls."

"Valpo is one of the top rebounding and perimeter shooting teams in the country"

Add in a few errant references to Coach Drew (when he means Coach Lottich) and a few mistaken references to our league affiliation (get ready to hear about how we'll surely be a team to be reckoned with in the HL or worse yet the Mid-Con) and you have exactly how that broadcast would go. Awful I have no idea how he's still employed

usc4valpo

Walton has insight and doesn't take the game so seriously. Also, he was probably the greatest college basketball star ever, this he is college basketball royalty. 21-22 shooting against Memphis State in the championship. He can bring up the beauty and grit it took to build the world's largest collegiate chapel. He can thank John Streitelmeier for all his thrilling and wonderful geographical brilliance. Walton is a treasure for college basketball.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 19, 2018, 09:53:55 PM
He is different, that's for sure. He and Todd would work well together.

Todd is too professional for Walton. I have listened to Todd for years and he focuses on delivering a detailed and articulate description of the game. Walton would drive him nuts!

usc4valpo

I think it would be a good balancing act.

EddieCabot

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 20, 2018, 04:08:13 PM

Also, Todd does radio and Walton does TV ... TV doesn't require that every pass or movement be explained to the listener/watcher as they can see it on the screen.

valpospartan

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 20, 2018, 05:51:35 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 20, 2018, 04:08:13 PM

Also, Todd does radio and Walton does TV ... TV doesn't require that every pass or movement be explained to the listener/watcher as they can see it on the screen.
Then why do 99% of the color guys talk non-stop (See dookie V, Dakich, etc, etc.)?

usc4valpo

The thing about Walton is that he goes off topic about bizarre stuff related to the schools and locations where they are playing. I find it interesting and educational. Also, if you dig into the broadcast, he knows the game well. Walton will is also a great representative of the Pac 12 which does not get much love nationwide.

valporun

You could say Bill Walton is the West Coast version of Dickie V. Billy will go bonkers about UCLA and the PAC-12 and West Coast basketball (not the conference, but the coast), while Dick Vitale will continue his poetry about the ACC and Coach K. Both are very knowledgeable about college hoops, but they bleed coastal basketball.

usc4valpo

Dick Vitale is a national basketball treasure also. The worst was Billy Packer. Al McGuire in my opinion was the best.

valpo64

Once Bill Walton gets over the love  he has of himself, he has the potential to be appreciative of college basketball around the whole Country.

usc4valpo

64 -  disagree. This man has does a lot of chatty work and was selfless as a player.  His asssing skills were unbelievable.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 25, 2018, 01:52:56 PM
64 -  disagree. This man has does a lot of chatty work and was selfless as a player.  His asssing skills were unbelievable.

Bill Walton is a weirdo and sadly nothing about his personal life can change how he interacts with the television audience.

I don't consider him "made for TV/broadcasting" for my taste.  And I don't believe I'm alone.

Though I'm glad to hear he's a good person, enough rat ______ to go around.

vu84v2

Walton may have been the greatest college basketball player ever, but that does not make him a good broadcaster. I have watched him do games with teams that are not on the west coast and it was clear he spent about five minutes learning about the teams and their players. If a broadcaster adds color outside of the game I am watching, fine - but their first job is to be prepared to broadcast the game at hand. Walton fails miserably in that respect. Say what you want about Vitale's biases, but he always seems to be well-prepared. Agree that Al McGuire was among the best - but he also prepared (I remember him doing a great job in the 1998 tournament game against Rhode Island).

usc4valpo

"sports is the toy department of life" Howard Cosell

At the end, sports need to be enjoyable, and Walton enables that. Unlike Packer.