• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Realignment Theory

Started by VUGrad1314, December 13, 2018, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

A few months ago in a seemingly headscratching move Merrimack College was admitted to the NEC for all sports giving the conference 11 members. Many wondered why a perennial one and done one bid league would take on an 11th member. Here's my theory:

1. Robert Morris has either already informed the NEC informally that they are gone or

2. The NEC strongly suspects that the Colonials will leave soon taking their football team with them and Merrimack is the replacement.

Now this could be as simple as trying to get the teams an extra conference game but that doesn't explain why they were added for all sports making a small tournament money pie even smaller nor does it explain all of the renovations going on at RMU. They're building a very nice new 4000+ seat basketball arena and upgrading other areas as well. I think Robert Morris has its eyes set on a new conference. They're not doing this so that they can play Wagner Sacred Heart and Central Connecticut State in a nicer environment.

Where will they go?

It's possible that the CAA could be a candidate but the fit feels a bit clunky unless they're losing a member especially if football comes along. Another option would be the MAAC full of northeastern private schools.It's a very strong institutional and geographic  fit as the MAAC's footprint isn't much larger than the NEC's though it is increased travel. They can follow the example of former NEC member Monmouth who recently departed for the MAAC and parked their football in the Big South but that is a heavy travel commitment. The MAAC also seems happy with 11 members but could add a 12th

The third possibility is the Horizon League. LeCrone isn't shy about expansion and Robert Morris has been an expansion candidate in the past and the travel is good for affiliated sports. They could move LAX to the MAAC like Cleveland State but finding a football home would prove difficult. I would guess that the Big South would be an option but perhaps the Patriot League? RMU to the HL would also dovetail nicely with FWAlum's report that Fort Wayne to the HL talks were warming up. This could also be related to MVC realignment as well as Fort Wayne would be a needed baseball school if the HL loses a member. Even if the MVC is not acting yet it might be a good idea to bring Fort Wayne aboard and protect two likely MVC targets  (NKU and Wright State) by adding two solid closeby programs  and making their travel situation better. By acting now you may force the MVC into making a less desirable choice like UIC or Milwaukee  or even force them to go after another league entirely.

My guess is that RMU will either become the  12th member of the MAAC or to the HL with Fort Wayne. Football to the Big South or Pioneer.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 13, 2018, 08:29:08 AMMy guess is that RMU will either become the  12th member of the MAAC or to the HL with Fort Wayne.

I have heard rumblings that Robert Morris and PFW are going to the HL.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on December 13, 2018, 02:23:11 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 13, 2018, 08:29:08 AMMy guess is that RMU will either become the  12th member of the MAAC or to the HL with Fort Wayne.

Is this in response to the MVC doing anything or is this a way to get the Horizon League  league to 12? You have to assume that UMKC is the Summit's first call while the WAC takes one (or both) of Dixie State or Metro State.

Other possibilities: Augustana (SD) to Summit Chicago State to Summit or dropping down Maybe WIU goes somewhere (most likely OVC).

VUGrad1314

Sounds like Augustana's going to the Summit League  which is even worse for PFW than UMKC getting that call as it only isolates them further. I think PFW to the Horizon may have serious legs. Can't imagine WIU is too happy either. They may try to seek membership in the OVC. I would imagine their proximity to the western schools of that conference would appeal to them and they'd probably be more competitive in other sports.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on December 13, 2018, 02:23:11 PM

Is there a timetable for when this could be announced\finalized? Are we talking as soon as next year or is it 2-3 years off?

FWalum

With some of the potential happenings in the Summit League I would think sooner rather than later but I have no concrete information regarding the certainty of the move by either school. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Some realignment thoughts (no sources just speculation) :

I could see schools like Belmont Lipscomb Liberty Winthrop Radford Jacksonville State and UNC-Asheville (a historically good program that is having a bad year) make bids to join the SOCON which is looking to up its hoops profile. Obviously not all schools would be admitted.

The CAA could look at some AEC schools with historical success like Albany Stony Brook UMBC and Vermont

I could see the WCC going after GCU and Seattle U if they can get Gonzaga's blessing as well as Denver and Cal Baptist if they show promise.

I can see the MWC relenting and allowing NMSU in for basketball reasons.

If NDSU gets its act together in basketball and there's enough instability in the Summit (I don't think the rumored Augustana addition has made anybody very happy) I could potentially see mutual interest between NDSU\SDSU and the MVC if the current member school can get over the added travel (no small feat).
That said if Belmont and SLU are still unwilling I think NKU will be the choice to go to the MVC alongside Murray State.
If NKU leaves the HL I still expect them to move forward with possible additions of PFW and RMU then perhaps look west with SIUE being a likely candidate to give LeCrone a piece of the St Louis market which could set up discussions with rumored candidates UMKC Omaha Denver and possibly Oral Roberts. They could also explore potential D2 moveups like Southern Indiana and Bellarmine.

VUGrad1314

PFW starts off 3-0 in SL play including a victory over South Dakota State. If LeCrone is smart he'll add this team quickly.

oklahomamick

Yes, he needs to add Ft. Wayne.  But it has to come with a travel partner.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

GB\Milwaukee
UIC\IUPUI
PFW\CSU
UDM\Oakland
WSU\NKU
YSU\RMU

How's that look?

VUGrad1314

If they do add RMU I wonder if Pittsburgh would make sense as a tournament location. It might upset the other league members especially the western ones but I think the ship has sailed on that.

oklahomamick

I like this one better:

Loyola
Valpo

Drake
Bradley

SLU
Evansville

Belmont
Lipscomb

Detroit-Mercy
Dayton

I know I'm dreaming

CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 07, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
I like this one better:

Loyola
Valpo

Drake
Bradley

SLU
Evansville

Belmont
Lipscomb

Detroit-Mercy
Dayton

I know I'm dreaming

If you're going to dream why not make the travel easier.

Loyola/Valpo

Butler/Ball State

Evansville/Indiana State

Illinois State/Bradley

Southern IL/SLU

oklahomamick

I was trying for all private mid-west bus league. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 07, 2019, 01:29:02 PM
I was trying for all private mid-west bus league. 

Well, that would pretty much be the ICC, other than Ball State and Indiana State.  Valpo. St. Joes, Butler, Evansville. DePauw, Indianapolis and Wabash.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Ok....trying for D1 universities that are private and midwest
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

We're ALREADY in a dream conference. We've never had such a high competition level alongside so many regional private schools and other great basketball schools. A bad year for the MVC is about as good as a great year in the HL with Butler.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 07, 2019, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 07, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
I like this one better:

Loyola
Valpo

Drake
Bradley

SLU
Evansville

Belmont
Lipscomb

Detroit-Mercy
Dayton

I know I'm dreaming

If you're going to dream why not make the travel easier.

Loyola/Valpo

Butler/Ball State

Evansville/Indiana State

Illinois State/Bradley

Southern IL/SLU

How about Marquette/Loyola, Valpo/Butler, Dayton/Xavier, Michigan/Michigan St

oklahomamick

lol, ok you guys have taken it too far.....

Yes, we are in our dream league right now.  I was thinking of a smaller big east league that would consist of all private schools in the midwest with similar academics, admissions, endowment and athletics (all sports, not just men's basketball).  And that was somewhat realistic.   
CRUSADERS!!!