• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Convocation Speaker Announced

Started by vu72, December 18, 2018, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Just saw that Eddie Glaude Jr. is going to be this year's MLK Jr. Celebration Speaker.  For those of you who might be "Morning Joe" or "11th Hour" viewers, Eddie is a regular contributor.  He is a Princeton Professor.

Last year had Cornel West as the speaker.  These guys are powerful speakers and well known throughout most of the world.  Whether or not you agree with their viewpoints, the fact is that it is very impressive that Valpo can attract these people as keynote speakers.  I wonder what their speaking fee might be!

https://www.valpo.edu/news/2018/12/11/valpo-announces-eddie-s-glaude-jr-ph-d-as-martin-luther-king-jr-celebration-convocation-speaker/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I remember when we had Maya Angelou when I was a student. It's an amazing program, very much in keeping with the university's past and great at including both students and the community.

bbtds

No right wing Trumpster backlash deriding the liberal university administration for allowing such a person to speak at Valpo? I'm surprised.

crusadermoe

MLK Jr. is simply in a class by himself so one would hope celebrating him is protected from the nonsense.

No matter where you are on the political spectrum today, no one can disrespect Martin Luther King Jr.  He was a truly dignified advocate for dialog when terrible passions flared.  Let's not speak to today's polarized and over-emotional debates.  They pale in comparison.

He also raised the universally agreed hope that one day his daughters would grow up in a country "where a person is judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."   Amen.