• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Mvc facilities

Started by oklahomamick, January 19, 2019, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

We looked up UNI basketball and football facilities.  Very impressive. 

In the mvc I've only seen Missouri state facilities. 

Seems like the state schools have good facilities and an advantage.

Among our conference foes, who has top 5 facilities?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I believe that Missouri State has had financial troubles, as well as a lot of other state schools
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

While we may have the worst facility in the MVC by far, when we fill  it, including a great student body turnout, the ARC is a most difficult place for a visiting team to play and a great home court advantage for us.  That being said it does need some things done to improve it(more restrooms and concession stands and improved chairback seating along with a northside upper deck addition) but let's still keep the ARC home court advantage.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on January 20, 2019, 12:37:57 PMbut let's still keep the ARC home court advantage.

This is paramount. Any renovation that significantly detracts from this is and should be a non-starter.

oklahomamick

agree with keeping the homecourt advantage. 

But where do other MVC schools rank in facilities.  Not just the gym but the locker rooms, training room and practice space.  Its difficult for me to make a vote because the only one I have seen in person in Missouri St. 

I would say, top 5
1.  Northern Iowa
2.  Missouri St.
3.  Evansville
4.  Bradley
5.  Loyola
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2010

Northern Iowa's facilities are gorgeous - I had no idea. Their b-ball facility is beautiful. And, they have a dome for a football field lol. Unreal... just unreal. Given how large power 5 schools' athletic programs are so heavily funded by their football programs, I wonder if that's an added disadvantage for Valpo since men's b-ball is clearly our biggest money maker.

Tough when you're competing with schools who can draw tens of thousands of fans to a home football game. Our football program being non-scholarship ... no way we could justify building a facility like that at this point. But, seriously brown field is a borderline sub-par high school football stadium, not to mention a collegiate one. Sad. We couldn't even afford to do a decorate end zone lol. It's slashed lines. So embarrassing. Do have turf, a track, and an OK score board. Feel bad for them. We've got a good coach and a lot of players who really do care and who are solid football players. I give them credit for not letting those distractions get in their way.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: VU2010 on January 22, 2019, 08:00:40 PMWe couldn't even afford to do a decorate end zone lol. It's slashed lines. So embarrassing.

The end zones are not decorated because the field is also used for soccer.

VU2010

What's that matter? Is that a rule? I've seen plenty of others that are multipurpose fields without such ugly slashed lines across the end zone??

ValpoHoops

Quote from: VU2010 on February 15, 2019, 11:01:45 AM
What's that matter? Is that a rule? I've seen plenty of others that are multipurpose fields without such ugly slashed lines across the end zone??

The lines I can't speak to. I agree they are not particularly attractive.

But from a practicality standpoint, if we had VALPO printed in the end zone, it would be very difficult to discern soccer lines. Thus, no decoration. (Again, I would be fine getting rid of the slashes...)

VULB#62

I also think it's to make the soccer lines more visible. Both end zones are brown, so that gives them at least a distinctive contrast. The Valpo graphic is, instead, painted at mid-field at the 50 where it does not mask any lines  Having graphics in both endzones and midfield would IMO be a bit over the top. When Valpo builds the soccer-specific turf field on the Porter property with a removeable bubble, then the Brown Field endzones will be changed to VALPO in one end zone and ___ (whatever our new mascot replacing the Crusader)__ in the other  ;)