• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Region - 219 - Wake Up Call on 1/26/19

Started by VU2010, January 26, 2019, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

Today - for anyone watching and reflecting - is a day that we will look back on for years to come. Not because of the loss. Not because of the injuries. Not because of the snow. No. No. No.

Because of who was there today. Did you see who was there? On the court? Three great athletes from the region. Two from Griffith. One from Merrillville. Maybe the best three players on the court tonight?

Did you see the fans? Did you see the post-game celebration? Music played. Hundreds of people were on the court and waiting for the team to come out. Not Valpo. Not the brown and gold.

No victory bell was rung tonight.

No. The blue and white team. From Iowa. Who brought out big numbers. Who made the ARC the region's team tonight.

That's what this place could look like - that's what would make Valpo great. We weren't that team tonight. We aren't that team. But, we ***could*** be THAT team.

We could be ... but we have to NOTICE the talent in the region. And not the one who is committed to Purdue - though that would be nice. But see here's what happens ...

You recruit a region guy ... his teammates come and watch him play (like you saw tonight) and say hey I want to play there ... with them ... where their families can watch ...

What will we do? Will we be that team?

win the recruits in the region.

VU2014

I don't care if we recruit kids from Puerto Rico. Just win. It would be nice if they came from the Region but just get the best players possible.

The coaching staff has tried recruiting kids from the Region but they don't pick VU for whatever reason. The Murphy twins are nice players but I'm not going to cry a river over not landing them. Wilkins appears to be a nice player but it has to be a right fit when he's eligible to offer. Drake had a nice turn out but it wasn't like it was 50-50

NativeCheesehead

Get over the region kids. This isn't about the region. It's about talent on the court. If we're healthy we send those region kids skulking back to the hole in the ground where the Star Plaza used to be.

VU2010

Moot point - you didn't address the majority of my post and are missing the big picture. Ya ... we want to win ... duh. But, it's the how part ... let's see if there's that many region folks there on 219 night as there were tonight for Drake.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2010 on January 26, 2019, 10:47:32 PM
Today - for anyone watching and reflecting - is a day that we will look back on for years to come. Not because of the loss. Not because of the injuries. Not because of the snow. No. No. No.

Because of who was there today. Did you see who was there? On the court? Three great athletes from the region. Two from Griffith. One from Merrillville. Maybe the best three players on the court tonight?

Did you see the fans? Did you see the post-game celebration? Music played. Hundreds of people were on the court and waiting for the team to come out. Not Valpo. Not the brown and gold.

No victory bell was rung tonight.

No. The blue and white team. From Iowa. Who brought out big numbers. Who made the ARC the region's team tonight.

That's what this place could look like - that's what would make Valpo great. We weren't that team tonight. We aren't that team. But, we ***could*** be THAT team.

We could be ... but we have to NOTICE the talent in the region. And not the one who is committed to Purdue - though that would be nice. But see here's what happens ...

You recruit a region guy ... his teammates come and watch him play (like you saw tonight) and say hey I want to play there ... with them ... where their families can watch ...

What will we do? Will we be that team?

win the recruits in the region.

WHO GIVES A SCHIT (sp for effect to avoid bs sensor) ABOUT WHERE THE ATHLETE IS FROM, compete and make perimeter shots....period.

Thank you to Sackey and Freeman for showing us the promising future you have with Valpo.  Two hard nosed players, check!

Oh and send Bakari to the bench when we are healthy.  He gives no consistent effort on Def and doesn't score efficiently enough to be of value...plus he complains and annoys me greatly.

Still generally happy with last nights effort and would rather have injury now than the MVC tournament.

usc4valpo

Drake has some good academic programs, better athletic facilities, and resides in Des Moines which is getting very favorable ratings for growth and quality of life.

Valpo used to recruit well internationally - what's happening there?

M

I think the international recruiting has caught on every where else.

I do wish Valpo would land or even offer (or even show interest) more of the region guys. There is a lot of D1 talent (both already offers by other schools and who will be offered soon) in this area. Shooters and wing players galore with a few younger bigs too.

mj

You're assuming those kids want to stay in the Region. And even if they did, I'm not sure you can assume all their friends and family would be out in force every game.
I believe that we will win.

M

I'm not assuming anything. Can still offer or show interest.

VUGrad1314

Aren't we doing that a lot right now? I've seen us connected to a lot of region kids and visiting  a lot of region sites.

VU2014

List of Region Kids that were offered:
-Ryan Fazekas - Providence - transferred to Valpo
-Matt Holba - Lehigh - transferred to IPFW
-Davon Dillard - Oklahoma State - transferred to Shaw (non-d1)
-Sasha Stefanovic - Purdue
-Brandon Newman - Purdue
-Robbie Hummell - Purdue
-Scott Martin - Purdue - transferred to Notre Dame
-Mileek McMillan - Valpo
-Langston Stalling - Valpo (not a athletics scholarship)
-Steven Helm - Caroll College - transfer to Valpo (not on athletics scholarship) - Currently on his Mission
-Spike Albrecht - Michigan - transferred Purdue as a grad transfer (I believe Valpo tried to recruit him again as a grad transfer but chose Purdue)
-Zach Novak - Michigan
-Nick Davidson - Valpo

I know I'm forgetting a lot of guys. But this just illustrates that the staff has tried in the recent past to recruit Region guys but they don't pick Valpo for whatever reason. I know that the staff is in on the recruitment of a few Region guys right now.

M

Not sure I'd count Helm and Stalling as I dont believe they were ever recruited by VU in high school.

Maybe they're doing more then I thought. Hope they continue recruiting Indiana hard and land a few more.

VU2010

Ya you guys are right. Things are going well as-is. What we saw last night - with busses full of high school players from the region - isn't what we want or need. My mistake.

Never mind.

And no - clearly we don't want or need EVERY kid from the region to come to Valpo. Because we only have a few scholarship spots available each year.

VU2010

Oh and I forgot we're secretive about EVERYTHING.

Is Micah our for the season? If so, why? Back? Ok but then officially say it. Does Ryan have an ankle sprain? Say it. What's golder's diagnosis? Say it.

Oh wait we're being strategic and keeping people on their toes guessing. That's cool. My mistake. Fans pay to watch. Should at least be kept in the loop. We're not Duke! Not going for a national championship every year. Just be honest and upfront and transparent.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2010 on January 27, 2019, 12:18:50 PM
Ya you guys are right. Things are going well as-is. What we saw last night - with busses full of high school players from table region - isn't what we want or need. My mistake.

Never mind.

And no - clearly we don't want or need EVERY kid from the region to come to Valpo. Because we only have a few scholarship spots available each year.

I'm sorry. The three region kids played well brought fans and contributed to their victory but give both teams full health and Valpo wins this game. Injuries poor shooting and bad officiating were far bigger factors.

VU2014

Quote from: VU2010 on January 27, 2019, 12:22:38 PM
Oh and I forgot we're secretive about EVERYTHING.

Is Micah our for the season? If so, why? Back? Ok but then officially say it. Does Ryan have an ankle sprain? Say it. What's golder's diagnosis? Say it.

Oh wait we're being strategic and keeping people on their toes guessing. That's cool. My mistake. Fans pay to watch. Should at least be kept in the loop. We're not Duke! Not going for a national championship every year. Just be honest and upfront and transparent.

VU2010, nobody is saying that we shouldn't recruit Region kids. I want us to land Region kids but not every recruit is the right fit or the timing isn't right with our roster construction. Another very important thing to factor in is academics when offering kids out of high school.

The Athletics Dept and Coaching staff has made a conscious effort the last few years. They definitely see the benefit of having kids from the Region. There are a few kids who are on their radar and their recruiting at some level: Christopher Mantis (high major potential), Davion Davis (getting under-recruited because of size concerns), and Kyle Ross (he's going to probably go high major. He's already getting Big10 interest as a sophomore).

valporun

A lot of you feel that Drake only had about 150 fans...how many of those fans were from Merrilville or Griffith? I would expect more than 150, actually. A big way to get some of the region kids to Valpo starts with a winning tradition in the MVC. Once we get to this point, we might get more of the kids from the region to look at Valpo. Also, we need to recruit coachable kids. Too often, I feel like we're just looking at stats and rating stars, not how coachable the kid is, or what his fundamentals and intangibles are. It's too much of the "trying to find the diamond that can play now", instead of the "diamond in the rough" that needs some development and seasoning. I'm also losing interest in having 9 or 10 scholarship guys, and a walk-on, with 2-3 transfers that can't play until next season. We need to be recruiting kids that are MVC players, but don't need their egos rubbed.

VU2014

Quote from: valporun on January 27, 2019, 01:16:37 PM
A lot of you feel that Drake only had about 150 fans...how many of those fans were from Merrilville or Griffith? I would expect more than 150, actually. A big way to get some of the region kids to Valpo starts with a winning tradition in the MVC. Once we get to this point, we might get more of the kids from the region to look at Valpo. Also, we need to recruit coachable kids. Too often, I feel like we're just looking at stats and rating stars, not how coachable the kid is, or what his fundamentals and intangibles are. It's too much of the "trying to find the diamond that can play now", instead of the "diamond in the rough" that needs some development and seasoning. I'm also losing interest in having 9 or 10 scholarship guys, and a walk-on, with 2-3 transfers that can't play until next season. We need to be recruiting kids that are MVC players, but don't need their egos rubbed.

That sounds like Mileek McMillan and what they're trying to do with him. Valpo hardly ever lands kids that are finished products and who can start right away. The last two freshman who could legit be impactful and reliable freshman starters were Alec Peters and Javon Freeman. Maybe throw in Tevonn, Adekoya, Skara, and Lexus because we relied on them very early on in their college careers. All of our bigs are projects and needed time to develop.

I don't mind the 2 red-shirt transfer strategy as long as the juice is worth the squeeze in the end. You can't have an overreaction to last nights game because we had 3 starters and the leading scorers out with injury. I don't care if we had a full roster of scholarship guys. You aren't going to win many games when the rosters is like that.

As for "We need to be recruiting kids that are MVC players, but don't need their egos rubbed." The coaching staff is already pretty conscious of adding guys who are coachable and the right "culture fit". The coaches have only had one recruiting class of players they've intended to be MVC players. Mileek, Parker, Marty, Fazekas and Golder were all intended to play in the Horizon. Obviously Golder and Fazekas have transitioned well and Mileek is still a work-in-progess/TBD. Freeman, Sackey, Gordon, and Robinson are the only group of players who were recruited while Valpo was in the Valley already. Freeman is already a hit. Sackey has shown glimpses of being pretty good. I have little doubts that Gordon and Robinson can't be big contributors in the future.

Valpo2013

Quote from: VU2014 on January 27, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
-Brandon Newman - Purdue
-Robbie Hummell - Purdue
-Mileek McMillan - Valpo
-Steven Helm - Caroll College - transfer to Valpo (not on athletics scholarship) - Currently on his Mission
-Spike Albrecht - Michigan - transferred Purdue as a grad transfer (I believe Valpo tried to recruit him again as a grad transfer but chose Purdue)
-Zach Novak - Michigan
-Nick Davidson - Valpo

I know I'm forgetting a lot of guys. But this just illustrates that the staff has tried in the recent past to recruit Region guys but they don't pick Valpo for whatever reason. I know that the staff is in on the recruitment of a few Region guys right now.

What about all those we didn't offer?
And have or are currently playing Division 1 somewhere

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo2013 on January 27, 2019, 01:57:44 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 27, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
-Brandon Newman - Purdue
-Robbie Hummell - Purdue
-Mileek McMillan - Valpo
-Zach Novak - Michigan
-Nick Davidson - Valpo

What about all those we didn't offer?
And have or are currently playing Division 1 somewhere

Yeah there are a lot of guys like Eugene German NIU (I heard there were character and academic concerns) and Ryan Taylor went to Evansville (now northwestern), Valpo showed interest but the roster wasn't in a place where we needed where we need him. Colin Kenney is going to Kent State. I know that Valpo showed interest but never offered.

I don't want to make excuses for the staff. Of course they're going to miss out on guys but most of the impact players that come out the region they're in on at some level. (Minus the kids that come out of the prep schools, but there are all kinds of politics that go into that as many know).

VU2014

I've said this before but if we want to recruit the Region well, I'd hire Bo Patton on the staff in some capacity. He's a young rising coaching prospect and he's getting great experience now with Don Bosco Prep right now. I know that we don't have as big of a staff as many of the bigger schools but I'd bring him in as a video coordinator, recruiting coordinator or quality control coordinator. eventually promote him to assistant if he impresses, which I think he would.

M

Agree a million percent on Bo. I can tell you he did have a conversation with Lottich who told him he thinks he'd make a good college coach, but they went with someone else.

Also, Kenney is going to Furman not Kent State (this is where Nelly Davis I believe holds an offer to).

valpo64

I am always amazed at some people who look back and suddenly find all the answers to our recruiting problems.  We can't recruit everybody.  Everybody wins some and loses some.  In the face of changing conferences, tougher academics, size of school and it's accompanying problems, I think that for the most part our staff has done a fine job.  Sure, we have missed some prospects but we also have picked off a few.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteI've said this before but if we want to recruit the Region well, I'd hire Bo Patton on the staff in some capacity. He's a young rising coaching prospect and he's getting great experience now with Don Bosco Prep right now. I know that we don't have as big of a staff as many of the bigger schools but I'd bring him in as a video coordinator, recruiting coordinator or quality control coordinator. eventually promote him to assistant if he impresses, which I think he would.

No, no, a million times no. I don't want anyone from that amoral diploma mill associated with our program, ever since they forced Skara to transfer because VU wouldn't hire the guy they wanted as an assistant coach.

M

Bo just started there this school year. Before that he was at Merrillville. He was still at Merrillville when the position was open he was discussed.