• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Softball

Started by bbtds, February 09, 2019, 10:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

VUSB lost 2 games yesterday/Friday in Starkville, MS to SF Austin 2-6 and to Middle "we decided not to take your law school" Tennessee State 1-4.

Today/Saturday VUSB takes on the hosts, Mississippi State, in a doubleheader starting at 1:30 p.m. They have a single game against Mississippi State tomorrow/Sunday with the start time listed as TBA.

Anybody see Friday's games?

VULB#62

It's really hard to think about softball when I woke  to -4 on the thermometer this morning and a solid sheet of ice for a driveway here in Wisconsin  ;)

valpotx

To be fair to Middle TN State, it wasn't the school that decided not to move forward, but their State Board of Education.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I like to think of softball as the link to spring when things warm up and life gets better.

Unfortunately the Softball Crusaders drop two more games to Mississippi State 3-8 and 0-10. In the second game the VU side gets no hit. Not much "spring" in those games. 

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on February 10, 2019, 05:08:09 AM
I like to think of softball as the link to spring when things warm up and life gets better.

Unfortunately the Softball Crusaders drop two more games to Mississippi State 3-8 and 0-10. In the second game the VU side gets no hit. Not much "spring" in those games. 

True, but this is the first weekend of actually fielding balls of dirt and not the gym floor.  The southern teams have a HUGE advantage at this point in the season.And, it was to a top 25 team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Tired excuses.

Facilities Post Warning: Isn't it time that Valpo at least has an inflatable bubble SOMEWHERE to enable spring sports to have decent practice environs?  ...........Or to help sports like soccer to practice off season?

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 10, 2019, 07:36:46 PM
Tired excuses.

Facilities Post Warning: Isn't it time that Valpo at least has an inflatable bubble SOMEWHERE to enable spring sports to have decent practice environs?  ...........Or to help sports like soccer to practice off season?

Excuses, but true.  We literally did all groundball drills on the Hilltop floor when I was playing.  You simply do not get to see any true hops until you head down south for the spring trip.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Exactly, TX.  That's my point. These are tired excuses.  Baseball and softball compete at the D-I level against some top-flight national programs every spring and we are still taking grounders off the wood floor in the ARC?  Any type of bubble over a field turf surface would be an improvement that would help these teams get ready for the real deal.  It wouldn't be a pancea, but it would give these teams more of a fighting chance in the early going.  We have the space on the Porter hospital land.  Use it.

bbtds

Nice!

Kelsie Packard blanked a NC State team 4-0. The Wolf Pack had hit 18 home runs over 5 games going into today's double header.

valpopal

Valpo Softball makes top 5 plays!

[tweet]1105575944142680064[/tweet]

bbtds

That was the final play of the 4-0 shut out by Kelsie Packard over NC State. NC ST was one of the hottest teams coming into the game having hit 18 home runs in it's previous 5 games, tops in the NCAA. Our third baseman was a defensive replacement at the beginning of the inning, a brilliant move by Coach Stake. As you could tell Kelsie was extremely excited to get out of the inning with two runners on, I believe, and one out. The whole game could have gone down the tubes if that ball had gotten down the third base line for an extra base hit. Addi Burke was the defensive replacement in the bottom of the 7th inning who made the game ending play.

valpotx

Unfortunately, what was a promising season for the softball team, turned into a really bad year.  Packard must have been injured 1 1/2 - 2 months ago, as she hasn't pitched since that time, and she is still listed on the stats sheet/roster without any type of 'left team' identifier that they usually do.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 04, 2019, 12:22:48 PM
Unfortunately, what was a promising season for the softball team, turned into a really bad year.  Packard must have been injured 1 1/2 - 2 months ago, as she hasn't pitched since that time, and she is still listed on the stats sheet/roster without any type of 'left team' identifier that they usually do.

I'm told she has been seen with a boot on her foot. Not sure what that exactly means. The offense has been sorely lacking this year.

IndyValpo

Add Richardson who pitched well last year has been a disaster all year. Pitching is the key and we have struggled big time.

vu72

Both the baseball and softball teams are terrible.  Injuries again?  What gives with the training staff.  If anybody needs to be fired it is the head trainer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Great conference for softball and baseball.  We had 2 teams make it in the NCAA tournament, with both representing the conference well.
"Don't mess with Texas"