• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Poll: What is wrong with this Valpo Basketball team?

Started by VU2014, December 19, 2018, 09:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the biggest issue with this Valpo Basketball team?

Talent Level of the roster
Coaching
Lack of effort from the players
Bad Luck
extensive travel schedule leading to fatigue
All of the above

crusader05

I definitely think leadership on the floor is missing. The guys seem to like each other, but they don't seem to have a team leader to push them on the court. Jubril was that guy and they lost him and then Lexus left leaving Tevonn and Max who were both soft-spoken but tough. Now we have a vacancy and two years without a good model for the younger guys. Someone needs to step up. I could see it being a freshman but it could also easily be Derrik.

I do wonder about the seeming confusion as to why good practices haven't translated to good on-court chemistry and I hope that Matt is increasing the stakes and intensity of practice to forge some toughness and new leaders.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2019, 08:31:36 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 01, 2019, 04:30:41 PMLack of on-floor leadership. Few, if any, of us have addressed this critical component of wining basketball.

Hole on!  Back on December 20 I posted:

Where is the LEADERSHIP on this team?  They all seem to just be staring at their shoes.  Somebody needs to grab some guys by the throat and make it clear that this isn't going to happen any longer.  If I were Matt, I would start benching guys.  Play Kiser and McMillan and Stalling.  What will happen?  We will lose.  Oh wait, we are doing that with them on the bench so the result may be the same but, it might not or maybe, just maybe, a fire will be lit under a few guys who seem to be sleep walking right now.   ;)

Yes, you did 72. You, and only you, commented on the leadership factor (does one poster qualify as "few"?  Unfortunately, no one jumped on your band wagon at the time. 

In effect, Matt has altered his approach, if you go by his quotes, and is doing a little bit of what you suggested.  Starting now depends on practice intensity and performance. Hope this change gets locked in and there is no backsliding to a set lineup despite reduced performance.  Every player can and will have a bad game every now an again, but it's the on-court determinination and intensity that cannot be allowed to wane.  Shots aren't falling?  Double the defensive effort.  Move faster within the offensive scheme.Yadda, yadda....

Grounds for being substituted for:
   >> Laziness at either end of the court
   >> Sulking if things aren't going well. 
   >> Looking for excuses.
   >> Complaining.   

crusader05

Not to be all "me too me too me too" but this was me after teh Texas A&M game :)

Quote from: crusader05 on December 21, 2018, 10:50:56 AM
From what i've heard is the the team does like each other. They just don't seem to know how to push each other. They play well together and they fall apart together. This team really really really needs a leader on the floor to get them through. Honestly this team really hasn't had that in a long time. Jubril was probably the best one and he missed half or more of this final season. Max and Tevonn never were vocal leaders and I've heard that last year Joe Burton didn't have a great attitude that rubbed off on the teammates.

There seems to be a confusion as to why their off campus fun and positivity when things are going well in practice isn't translating on the court. I think that there needs to be a focus on team development and healthy team building

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 02, 2019, 11:48:04 AMYes, you did 72. You, and only you, commented on the leadership factor (does one poster qualify as "few"?  Unfortunately, no one jumped on your band wagon at the time. 

Fake news! We have discussed this in detail in many different threads. If you were listening carefully then, you would have no need for us to repeat ourselves.  ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on January 02, 2019, 01:00:31 PM
We have discussed this in detail in many different threads. If you were listening carefully then, you would have no need for us to repeat ourselves.  ;)

Ducky, my point was that the poll options did not include "lack of on-floor leadership" in the first place -- a very important ingredient in winning basketball. It was not an available selection and, as a result, very few posters hit on that as a factor -- and I, along with 72 and 05 (sorry that I missed you 05; anyone else that I missed?) believe it is a big one.  This thread is where all of the "many different threads" that contained comments about program/team deficiencies was consolidated under one theme. And thanks, BTW, for starting the poll and thread. But, by your logic in the linked quote above, if all of us had been listening carefully to all those other threads, we wouldn't have needed this thread in the first place, because we would be repeating ourselves about coaching, talent level, luck, etc., etc. from those other threads.  ;)

The game tonight will be important in many ways, because the poll selections, with the addition of on-floor leadership, will be the checklist for a lot of us to measure how this team has adjusted to a disappointing OOC schedule going into MVC play.

VU2010

My biggest questions going into game time tonight:

1. Do we see a team that's fired up to represent their home court in year 2 of Valpo in the Valley?

2. Do we see a coaching staff equipped to make timely in-game adjustments?

3. Do we see a fan base willing to help create a game day feeling for the Crusaders?

4. Do we improve on rebounding? 3 pt shooting? Cut the turnovers down some?

Brandon

I know there were questions a few weeks back on this thread about ordering team gear - the women's online team store is currently open through Friday offering Valpo basketball gear.

https://www.bsnteamsports.com/v3/shop/team_shop/VUWBBGEAR#/

bbtds

The record of this team in the first four games in the Valley as contrasted with the issues discussed in this thread shows what a complete u-turn this team made at the end of the Illinois State game. It simply is incredible! Nobody I know would have predicted this kind of complete turn around.

4throwfan

Given the turnaround, it seems that this thread is outdated.  Maybe we should move these discussions to MBB 2018-19.

I'm not sure what caused the turnaround.  But, I'm glad that it happened. 

If the team once again regresses, maybe we can return to this thread.  In the meantime, maybe we should boycott it.

VU2014

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 15, 2019, 03:47:26 PM
Given the turnaround, it seems that this thread is outdated.  Maybe we should move these discussions to MBB 2018-19.

I'm not sure what caused the turnaround.  But, I'm glad that it happened. 

If the team once again regresses, maybe we can return to this thread.  In the meantime, maybe we should boycott it.

Are you sold on Valpo's offense yet? I'm personally not. The defense & energy/effort is what has carried this team. This team still has a lot to improve on. Things have been great the last few weeks though. We're on a good streak right now.

But things aren't as doom and gloom as when this thread was created a few weeks ago.

4throwfan

2014, I'm not sold on anything yet, my suggestion to boycott was simply karma.

Midwest is Best

I just joined this forum today. I had to see if anyone is wondering what happened to VU BB this year. Glad to be part of this, hoping for better.
Mid-February, four conference games to go and sadly, I can't see this Team winning again the way they are playing. While there are flashes of greatness, the overall effort from this Team has failed, IMO, to reach it's potential. We have good players with D-1 MVC talent to compete with all the Teams. We can beat any of these Teams in the MVC! Compete for 40 minutes! Win or lose give it 100% - it's what these guys are on that court to do. Right?
I'm a season ticket holder, I see each Team's coaching and player efforts - live - right in front of me. Fans - Something is missing from the top down here at VU. Coach is a good guy, but the play calling and match ups during the game make me wonder if anyone knows what's going on out on the court.
I see Coach Matt calling out, walking back and forth, frustrated like he's a player in the game that can't get the ball. Coach: Start coaching, teaching, and talking through the game with your players when they are on the bench. Give them something to take to the game. You have talent on that bench, coach them up!
QuestionS - Why is our smallest guy the one driving to the basket game in and game out? Daniel Sackey - Most heart - Most Competitive - Get It Done attitude.
Why is it not the game plan to have fearless Marcus Golder driving the lane - Banging the boards - Kicking it out or putting it in the hoop from the paint?
Am I the only one seeing open shots that are not taken by this team? Why pass if the shot is open? Shoot it and have our 7 foot tall guys rebound if you miss. Come on Valpo!!!  Win or Lose - Send me home knowing you played your hearts out! Give it everything you got! Played the best game you can from start to finish! Hustle! If you're down a couple points in the last couple minutes- speed up the play - drive to the basket!  Score!!! Defend full court. Come On! LET'S GO VU!

NativeCheesehead

First of all, welcome to the board! Second of all, I would assess the caffeine intake a bit.

bbtds

Quote from: Midwest is Best on February 19, 2019, 01:07:34 PM
I just joined this forum today. I had to see if anyone is wondering what happened to VU BB this year. Glad to be part of this, hoping for better.
Mid-February, four conference games to go and sadly, I can't see this Team winning again the way they are playing. While there are flashes of greatness, the overall effort from this Team has failed, IMO, to reach it's potential. We have good players with D-1 MVC talent to compete with all the Teams. We can beat any of these Teams in the MVC! Compete for 40 minutes! Win or lose give it 100% - it's what these guys are on that court to do. Right?
I'm a season ticket holder, I see each Team's coaching and player efforts - live - right in front of me. Fans - Something is missing from the top down here at VU. Coach is a good guy, but the play calling and match ups during the game make me wonder if anyone knows what's going on out on the court.
I see Coach Matt calling out, walking back and forth, frustrated like he's a player in the game that can't get the ball. Coach: Start coaching, teaching, and talking through the game with your players when they are on the bench. Give them something to take to the game. You have talent on that bench, coach them up!
QuestionS - Why is our smallest guy the one driving to the basket game in and game out? Daniel Sackey - Most heart - Most Competitive - Get It Done attitude.
Why is it not the game plan to have fearless **Marcus Markus Golder driving the lane - Banging the boards - Kicking it out or putting it in the hoop from the paint?
Am I the only one seeing open shots that are not taken by this team? Why pass if the shot is open? ***Shoot it and have our 7 foot tall guys rebound if you miss. Come on Valpo!!!  Win or Lose - Send me home knowing you played your hearts out! Give it everything you got! Played the best game you can from start to finish! Hustle! If you're down a couple points in the last couple minutes- speed up the play - drive to the basket!  Score!!! Defend full court. Come On! LET'S GO VU!

** See Markus correction (I believe we agreed to spell the players' names correctly)

*** Our 7 footers don't rebound that particularly well.

tiny707

No one will like this but unfortunately injuries across the board have affected the team this year. It is what it is. Have to still find a way to beat SIU at home and take it from there. Bigs need to show up.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on February 19, 2019, 02:41:26 PMOur 7 footers don't rebound that particularly well.

I think our bigs don't get nearly the credit they deserve.  Derrik has made great strides forward and Jay, of late, has as well. Last year the averaged a combined 12.4 points and 7.0 boards.  This year  they average a combined 16.5 points and 9.4 boards.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 19, 2019, 03:57:33 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 19, 2019, 02:41:26 PMOur 7 footers don't rebound that particularly well.

I think our bigs don't get nearly the credit they deserve.  Derrik has made great strides forward and Jay, of late, has as well. Last year the averaged a combined 12.4 points and 7.0 boards.  This year  they average a combined 16.5 points and 9.4 boards.

There is no reason in the world other than positioning and desire that Lavender should be out rebounding Sorolla almost 2 to 1. Smits and Sorolla should be out rebounding every other player 2 to 1 individually.

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/DA235CEE-16F6-4C06-9D3E-0DD94421566A/2019_MBB_Stats_0216.pdf

valpospartan

[/quote]

Good to see ML engaging in the forum discussion!  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

He used to do it a fair amount.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on February 19, 2019, 11:04:32 PM

Good to see ML engaging in the forum discussion!  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

He used to do it a fair amount.
[/quote]

There is actually a sub-board to the Valpo basketball board called the Director's Corner that was built for ml, the AD. It was initiated by Dick Harlan, rlh, a few years back. Because of Dick's relationship with Mark he would get questions submitted by the posters then edit them a bit and get Mark to answer them. Unfortunately our dear friend, Dick Harlan, passed away from cancer. May RLH rest in peace. Since that time the Director's Corner has been pretty much unanswered. Posters have submitted questions but ml generally just answers what he wants on the other boards.