• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

wh

Posters have repeatedly said that at the end of the day Matt's future as head coach comes down to wins and losses. That said, I think the choice is easy. Get the best players you can get and win as many games as you can win. Lose some number of dissatisfied players thereafter and recruit the portal again next year. That's how AAU and youth and adult leagues of every sport work. Play for today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

crusader05

The other thought behind bringing in another guard could be that 1. We are going to l have at least 3 of our guards for sure be gone after next year leaving us with only Edwards and Goodnews with more than one year under their belt. bringing in another experienced Guard with 2 years left could help make sure we are balancing it out in case any of our freshman guards struggle.

As far as playing time goes it's not like we haven't seen people leave after getting significant playing time or limited playing time so predicating what might make people want to leave is probably a fools errand. This Foster kid also seems to have strong leadership skills that might be beneficial to step in as we did seem to have a slight vacuum in on court leadership when we lost Kiser

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 20, 2021, 01:07:19 PM
Posters have repeatedly said that at the end of the day Matt's future as head coach comes down to wins and losses. That said, I think the choice is easy. Get the best players you can get and win as many games as you can win. Lose some number of dissatisfied players thereafter and recruit the portal again next year. That's how AAU and youth and adult leagues of every sport work. Play for today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Well argued even when or if you are just playing devil's advocate  :)

VUGrad1314

I really don't want another huge wave of transfers especially among the young guards who are showing so much promise... I would much prefer we get a big man with our last available scholarship. We could definitely use the help up front much more than another candidate at the PG position.

Pgmado

I highly doubt Loyer is in the cards. Heard the speculation myself. My guess is that Valpo aims big with final scholarship. It is the need remaining. These positions aren't definite and the players are in no particular order.

PG: Anderson, Morgan, DeAveiro
SG: Edwards, Gordon, Taylor, Palesse
SF: Barrett, Kpegeol, Young, Woodyard,
PF: Krikke,
C: Kithier, Freese-Vilien

Walk-on: Ruedinger, Pappas, Morrill, Fricke

valpotx

Do we have confirmation that Morgan is coming back?  I am still surprised that Goodnews did not enter the portal.  It seemed like he and Lottich did not gel, but maybe it was more tied to injuries (low PT at times)?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on April 20, 2021, 06:03:17 PMDo we have confirmation that Morgan is coming back?  I am still surprised that Goodnews did not enter the portal.  It seemed like he and Lottich did not gel, but maybe it was more tied to injuries (low PT at times)?

I have seen no confirmation either and have wondered about this myself but I think if Paul put him in the depth chart then it's a pretty safe bet he's coming back.

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on April 20, 2021, 05:15:08 PM
I highly doubt Loyer is in the cards. Heard the speculation myself. My guess is that Valpo aims big with final scholarship. It is the need remaining. These positions aren't definite and the players are in no particular order.

If we see Kpegeol (SF) Krikke (PF) and Kithier (C) as an inside lineup, will we call that the "Special K" unit?

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on April 20, 2021, 07:48:38 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on April 20, 2021, 05:15:08 PM

If we see Kpegeol (SF) Krikke (PF) and Kithier (C) as an inside lineup, will we call that the "Special K" unit?

Yeah...we probably don't want to be looping in those last name first letters in any special way......
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuny98

Quote from: Pgmado on April 20, 2021, 05:15:08 PMI highly doubt Loyer is in the cards. Heard the speculation myself. My guess is that Valpo aims big with final scholarship. It is the need remaining. These positions aren't definite and the players are in no particular order. PG: Anderson, Morgan, DeAveiro SG: Edwards, Gordon, Taylor, Palesse SF: Barrett, Kpegeol, Young, Woodyard, PF: Krikke, C: Kithier, Freese-Vilien Walk-on: Ruedinger, Pappas, Morrill, Fricke

In a particular order I see It more like this:

PG: Anderson, Palesse, DeAverios
SG: Edwards, Barrett, Morgan
SG: Gordon, Young, Kpegeol
F: Krikke, Taylor, Woodward
F: Kithier, Freese-Villan

I see Taylor more of a SF than a G, and think he can fill in the role kind of how Kiser did. Hopefully Woodward can as well. Morgan could maybe fill in at PG if needed, but if the Freshmen play well I see him as the odd man out. If Young is as good as we hope, I could see him moving up over Gordon in the starting lineup. Goodnews will need to fight for minutes.

Freese-Villan is the wildcard here. If the coaches feel good that he can play, maybe we don't need to use that last scholarship. But if they have doubts (which they probably should based on his health track record) then another big body would help.

vok22

Right now I think things would pan out like this:

PG: Anderson, Gordon, Palesse/DeAverio
SG: Edwards, Palesse/Morgan, Goodness
SF: Taylor, Barrett/Woodyard/Young
PF: Krikke, Young/Woodyard
C: Kithier, Krikke, Emil

I think Taylor has the capability to be a go-to double digit scorer for us, honestly. Scored 21 ppg at D-2 level and not just on volume. I do admit it has been hard to find clips of him playing so I am not completely sure, just don think he regresses THAT far from 21 ppg with the jump up. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I could see him scoring 13 a game. I know Palesse and Young will definitely get minutes, so I am not sure how that is going to be divided up among everybody. All the sudden we have a lot of people on the team, and a lot of experience. But there is also a lot of young talent that needs to get playing time so it is going to be a real juggling and and there is not doubt that we will lose some really good talent next offseason, whether it is because they didnt perform up to expectations or (in the best case), there is simply too much young talent and not enough minutes.

vok22

Quote from: vok22 on April 21, 2021, 09:07:11 AMI think Taylor has the capability to be a go-to double digit scorer for us, honestly. Scored 21 ppg at D-2 level and not just on volume. I do admit it has been hard to find clips of him playing so I am not completely sure, just don think he regresses THAT far from 21 ppg with the jump up. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I could see him scoring 13 a game.

I should back this up by saying he scored 25 against Loyola in an exhibition his sophomore year. I know not apples to apples as they got blown out and he was probably fed the ball, but 25 points against Loyola is 25 points...he can score at this level.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vok22 on April 21, 2021, 09:19:07 AM
Quote from: vok22 on April 21, 2021, 09:07:11 AMI think Taylor has the capability to be a go-to double digit scorer for us, honestly. Scored 21 ppg at D-2 level and not just on volume. I do admit it has been hard to find clips of him playing so I am not completely sure, just don think he regresses THAT far from 21 ppg with the jump up. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I could see him scoring 13 a game.
I should back this up by saying he scored 25 against Loyola in an exhibition his sophomore year. I know not apples to apples as they got blown out and he was probably fed the ball, but 25 points against Loyola is 25 points...he can score at this level.

I did not know this... This is good and encouraging information... Thank you...

vok22

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 21, 2021, 09:23:10 AM
Quote from: vok22 on April 21, 2021, 09:19:07 AM

I did not know this... This is good and encouraging information... Thank you...

I'll admit I didnt find this myself, think it was on POs twitter when he signed but not positive.

VUBBFan

It seems everyone is saying we have 1 scholarship open. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have 3 open and available.
Currently we have 14 committed scholarship players on the roster. Of those, I believe 4 of them (Gordon, Morgan, Anderson, and Taylor) fall under the covid 5th year exemption and don't count against the 13 player limit. If this is the case that means we have filled 10 of the allowed 13, and have 3 spots left, if we wanted to fill them. Although that would really bloat the roster beyond a reasonable management level.
I would not expect us to use all 3, but I would like to know if my assumptions are correct. Can anyone help me out?

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on April 21, 2021, 09:49:01 AM
It seems everyone is saying we have 1 scholarship open. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have 3 open and available.
Currently we have 14 committed scholarship players on the roster. Of those, I believe 4 of them (Gordon, Morgan, Anderson, and Taylor) fall under the covid 5th year exemption and don't count against the 13 player limit. If this is the case that means we have filled 10 of the allowed 13, and have 3 spots left, if we wanted to fill them. Although that would really bloat the roster beyond a reasonable management level.
I would not expect us to use all 3, but I would like to know if my assumptions are correct. Can anyone help me out?
I believe only your own count as exemptions not those from other schools.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 21, 2021, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: VUBBFan on April 21, 2021, 09:49:01 AMIt seems everyone is saying we have 1 scholarship open. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have 3 open and available. Currently we have 14 committed scholarship players on the roster. Of those, I believe 4 of them (Gordon, Morgan, Anderson, and Taylor) fall under the covid 5th year exemption and don't count against the 13 player limit. If this is the case that means we have filled 10 of the allowed 13, and have 3 spots left, if we wanted to fill them. Although that would really bloat the roster beyond a reasonable management level. I would not expect us to use all 3, but I would like to know if my assumptions are correct. Can anyone help me out?
I believe only your own count as exemptions not those from other schools.

That sounds right. I think I asked this question when I asked about whether Krutiwig and Williamson would be allowed to transfer to OU if they wanted to (I had mistakenly believed that they could ONLY play for LUC It turns out that that was wrong they CAN play for OU BUT  OU would not benefit from their scholarships not counting against the cap in the same way Loyola would. I think this is the same thing here.

crusader05

Yes as others have sad only players that stay with their team for their 5th year don't count. any new players coming in, even if they're using their fifth year of eligibility count towards the 13.

valpospartan

Quote from: crusader05 on April 20, 2021, 08:58:23 AM
People who follow Michigan State seem to believe that there's a strong chance their Guard Transfer Foster Loyer may also be heading our way.

Loyer was a great shooter in HS, and showed it only a little at State - I think that he lost confidence in his shot. He was lost when defending  Big Ten guards, which was probably the main reason for his losing PT.

justducky

Quote from: crusader05 on April 22, 2021, 03:38:01 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1385328883776606211

As long as he doesn't want to play as a guard then I am probably good with it.  ;D   Sight and statistics unseen this likely says something about Emil as well.

Speculation on minute distribution can now officially begin.

VUGrad1314

Finally! Some size! No more getting outrebounded I hope with Kithier and Hedstrom to go with Krikke and Emil! Nice to know that if Emil still isn't ready to contribute we still likely won't be hurting! So there's our roster! Not too bad hopefully the transfers can make an immediate impact!

vuny98

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 22, 2021, 03:52:10 PMFinally! Some size! No more getting outrebounded I hope with Kithier and Hedstrom to go with Krikke and Emil! Nice to know that if Emil still isn't ready to contribute we still likely won't be hurting! So there's our roster! Not too bad hopefully the transfers can make an immediate impact!
I mean, Hedstrom only played 1.7 mins a game in 9 games last year, so he may not be so ready to contribute much either. But he did shoot an amazing 100% from three last year (1 attempt).

He will be a nice big body to put into games and provide some rebounding and defense that's for sure. Any offense he provides will be a bonus. Also, he is only a sophomore, so we have him for two more years which is nice.

crusader05

Also having more big bodies at practice is helpful for all playing the 4/5. Vashil credited having a year battling Gueye in practice was really helpful for his development.

Chairback

I think this really opens up Ben and he is going be even better.