• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New International Commit to Valpo!

Started by VUGrad1314, April 06, 2019, 04:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

A good guard to go along with our other good guards. That fine , but I'd really like to get some players that can shoot that are over 6'6" or 6'7" and can defend the front court.

VUGrad1314

We'll it's not like we don't have a scholarship or two to go after that kind of player with.  ;) I think this is a signal that Micah is gone.

VULB#62

First impression — Quick. Great feet and fast change of direction.  Very quick release off a stop and pop. Accurate — Drained every shot on the tape I watched   ;D .   Shows good penetration ability but can also drain 3s ( or at least deep 2s).  That is so important for us to have at the 1 going forward. Repeat — So important. Did not watch all of the hi-lite, so can't judge his assist skills or court vision,  but if he can penetrate, he should be able to dish off as well. He is European, so if the stereotype applies he will be a team oriented player with good shooting skills (both FT and FG). This is encouraging.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 06, 2019, 05:21:09 PM
We'll it's not like we don't have a scholarship or two to go after that kind of player with.  ;) I think this is a signal that Micah is gone.

Sadly I worry this means Daniel Sackey is gone...

NativeCheesehead

Why does this mean Sackey is gone?  Just because they're similar doesn't mean they can't mesh. This kid looks skilled but a little raw. Most of the international guys need some seasoning and right now, even with all the departures he'd be the fourth guard.

Sackey wears his faith on his sleeve more than any of the other players, and talked about how important a role that played in his decision to attend Valpo. Him leaving would be a bigger canary in the coal mine than any of the other players.

tiny707

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2019, 05:54:11 PM
Why does this mean Sackey is gone?  Just because they're similar doesn't mean they can't mesh. This kid looks skilled but a little raw. Most of the international guys need some seasoning and right now, even with all the departures he'd be the fourth guard.

Sackey wears his faith on his sleeve more than any of the other players, and talked about how important a role that played in his decision to attend Valpo. Him leaving would be a bigger canary in the coal mine than any of the other players.

If what we are told is to be believed, one more player at a minimum will transfer that is not named Micah.

At this point with 5 likely transfers I don't think 6 really matters.  That being said I'd imagine Gordon and Robinson are staying for fear of losing another year, no?

So that leaves:
Sackey/Fazekas/McMillan/Kiser and Stallings

Fazekas would need to have graduated since he only has 1 more year eligibility left.

McMillan leaving is not a concern

Kiser leaving would be playing time....sooo why is that a problem now?

Stallings isn't a scholarship

That leaves Sackey in my eyes, if rumors about a 6th chip on the table not named Bradford is legit.

VUGrad1314

If any of that group goes not named Bradford it's McMillan. Lottich does nothing but pump him up in interviews but then gives him such a short leash in games. He probably feels jerked around by the coaching staff. Him leaving would not surprise me and would in fact sadden me as I still see great potential in him.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 06, 2019, 06:07:32 PM
If any of that group goes not named Bradford it's McMillan. Lottich does nothing but pump him up in interviews but then gives him such a short leash in games. He probably feels jerked around by the coaching staff. Him leaving would not surprise me and would in fact sadden me as I still see great potential in him.

He gets into foul trouble at the score table before taking the court!

VUGrad1314

If Sackey leaves Lottich has to be fired. Faith and other issues aside that would mean that Lottich lost his ENTIRE FRESHMAN CLASS IN ONE YEAR. You can't keep a coach with that on his resume.

a3uge

Looks like a fun player that can shoot. Keep the international pipeline going.

Pgmado

I don't believe anyone else is leaving.

VUGrad1314

Are we\should we be cynical enough to start the clock on how long it'll take for this player to transfer too? Lottich hasn't exactly had great luck keeping international players around very long.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on April 06, 2019, 06:23:21 PM

That sentence is a sight for sore eyes

crusader05

I'd imagine Javon leaving made Micah think more about staying.

wh

Lorange can flat out shoot - 2018-19 47% FG, 41% from International 3 (longer distance), 80% FT, while averaging 20 PPG. Shot 45% from 3 the year before.

Every offensive stat imaginable for the past 3 seasons:

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Sigurd-Lorange/Summary/98849

VU75

Am I the only one expecting a presidential tweet of approval?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU75 on April 06, 2019, 07:24:08 PM
Am I the only one expecting a presidential tweet of approval?

Will he make it past the "wall"?

vu72

Great! Another guy who can't dunk! (joking!)  It would seem some would find any new player to not be up to what we need.  I love the international kid.  They seem to value commitment and are grateful for the chance to be able to play for a school like Valpo.  Can't wait for the next name!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

This good announcement fulfills my comment yesterday: "From a public relations standpoint, it would be better if a new player were announced sooner rather than later in order to turn around the current negative direction of momentum." Let's hope this begins a tide of more positive news. 

wh

VU2014

Interesting. 3 PGs smaller PGs on one roster. There will be some serious competition at the 1 between the three of them.

Sort of love it. Could bring the best out of all of them. But we really need to add some size to this roster. We need a center or at defensive mind PF that could defend the 5.

valpopal

Found this in a Norwegian newspaper and translated it: "Lorange had several offers from different schools in the United States, but the choice fell on traditional Valparaiso. The university is located in the city by the same name, an hour's drive outside of Chicago. 'I have had good conversations with the coaching team over there, and they seem to be concerned with building up the players they take in,' he explains. But before the US waits, Lorange will get the playoff gold with Gimle. The first final against Kongsberg is Thursday, away."

covufan

In between tweets/watching/reporting from the final four games, and he has time to get on the fan board to temper the possibility of more transfers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk