• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VSRN

Started by KL31NY, October 15, 2011, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

At the beginning of the football game today, Ickow said that WAKE was the only station covering the game. For those of us who haven't paid attention, what's the history of the Valpo Sports Radio Network and the reasons why it's shrinking? I want to say it had 4 or 5 stations not too long ago, and now it's just WAKE on a regular basis...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vu72

I would think the total lack of interest and record may have something to do with it.  Don't worry, I'm sure there will be more coverage for the basketball team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

The other stations that carry the Valpo games on the network might also contract to cover IU or Purdue football? This could be why so few stations with VSRN are carrying our game today.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on October 15, 2011, 01:23:51 PM
The other stations that carry the Valpo games on the network might also contract to cover IU or Purdue football? This could be why so few stations with VSRN are carrying our game today.

The way IU football is going I'm not sure that is better than listening to Valpo. Evan Turner, who was the only returning non-freshman in the running game, quit the IU football team this week. One thing you can say is that Coach Wilson is making a complete change over of personel. I'm just not sure if it's for the better yet.

valporun

Quote from: historyman on October 15, 2011, 01:34:28 PM
Quote from: valporun on October 15, 2011, 01:23:51 PM

The way IU football is going I'm not sure that is better than listening to Valpo. Evan Turner, who was the only returning non-freshman in the running game, quit the IU football team this week. One thing you can say is that Coach Wilson is making a complete change over of personel. I'm just not sure if it's for the better yet.

I don't know that IU's record changes the fact that IU, or Purdue, is BiG Ten, and Valpo is Pioneer League. Listenership and local sponsorships play a bigger role, and even with IU only having one win, the conference factors bigger than the record in this case.