• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Staff Changes Announced

Started by EddieCabot, August 20, 2019, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Congrats to Peter Funk!  Great young man.  Had the pleasure of broadcasting his HS team's games on local cable.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

NativeCheesehead

The reasoning on all this makes sense, per Paul's tweets, but I'm confused as to the timing. Why now?

crusader05

My guess is that it's been in effect since the beginning of August but they just waited for the official announcements.

VUBBFan

NativeCheesehead

Yeah I'm not wondering about early vs late August I'm wondering about late August vs early April.

crusader05

It could just be as simple as Todd didn't know what he was going to do and/or the others might not have graduated from their programs to be moved up until this summer.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 20, 2019, 10:57:51 AM
I was wondering why Todd was missing on the Canada trip.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1163822959502512128

Any word on his next destination (besides being with family)?  Also, who can shed some light on what TODD brought to the program as well as what we lose with his departure?  Good person aside, is he a top tier recruiter?

GoldenCrusader87

Not to be a downer ... but looks like we settled. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that but just saying ...

NativeCheesehead

Yeah I would normally shrug this off but this off-season has made me a bit gun shy. Can't blame TT for wanting to be with his family but I still don't understand what has changed since last season ended.

And Bowen is......right where he was 18 years ago?

I'm 99.9% sure I'm overthinking this but man, the next twelve months are so crucial to this program with on court success, a new president, recruiting, and possible ARC Reno announcements that I can't help but wonder on the timing here.

EddieCabot

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 20, 2019, 08:24:19 PM
Not to be a downer ... but looks like we settled. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for that but just saying ...

When changes are made in mid-August, there aren't a lot of options.  It looks like Valpo made the best of a difficult situation by promoting people already in the program.  Very similar to what other programs have done when facing the same situation.  We'll see how it works out and things will be evaluated after the season.

wh

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 20, 2019, 08:24:19 PM

"You know, as most entrepreneurs do, that a company is only as good as its people. The hard part is actually building the team that will embody your company culture and propel you forward." ~Kathryn Minshew, The Muse

I'm sure Matt fully understands this and wouldn't "settle" for someone he didn't have full confidence in.

justducky

Matt Bowen is a competent and respected coaching veteran but our biggest need now is for a younger, hard driving, pound the pavement recruiter. I'm sure word is already out and somebody will come along but proven is always better than unproven.

VU2014

Wish coach Townsend well. I can only imagine that kind of distance from your young family for an extended period of time was super tough. He may have only been here for a short while but he could have possibly left his legacy. He was integral in the recruitment of guys like, Lavender, Clay and Siggy.

GoldenCrusader87

I was pleasantly surprised by our performance in Canada. My hope is that Matt lets these guys play like he did in Canada. If he does and these guys are all bought in with a team mentality, we'll win a lot of games.

As for the coaching situation, makes sense we made the most of it. But, I do agree we need a young gun with the emotion and such.

Here's a question: We could've had Austin Peters in that role but didn't extend an offer (to my knowledge). Still could've. Now, maybe they weren't impressed with him when he was a grad assistant earning his masters. Idk. Just a thought.

Or, why wouldn't we get Buggs back up here?????

VUBBFan

Don't know if this belongs here or not. Gonna need some else to help bring in those donations.

https://twitter.com/john_kuka/status/1166786407488266243

vu72

might want to check under General VU Discussion
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015