• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

College Football at 150

Started by usc4valpo, August 25, 2019, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

ESPN has a excellent show on college football celebrating 150 years. Wow, football was a very vicious sport early on! Also, some great clips on Woody Hayes and Charles White.

JD24

That was really just a preview of what ESPN is going to present between now and January. There are at least 11 sub-documentaries all expounding further on some of the subjects we saw in the documentary first shown on Saturday night when the Gators and Canes attempted to send us all back to the beginnings of college football. There's also a lot more material ESPN will present this season outside the games themselves.

While ESPN gets a ton of deserved criticism for some aspects of their programming, their documentary styled programming is almost universally top notch.

usc4valpo

I look forward to seeing more of this and the history of college football. I am hoping that ESPN keep delivering material like this.
The memories of Woody Hayes are something else. I remember as a kid watching his expressions after devastating Rose Bowl losses  in 1975 and 1976 where the national title was on the line.

Just Sayin

Here's some great ND college football history. Miami/ND brawl talk by The Rocket. Love his Lou Holtz impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticAqVjKZzg

78crusader

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 27, 2019, 05:27:42 AM
I look forward to seeing more of this and the history of college football. I am hoping that ESPN keep delivering material like this.
The memories of Woody Hayes are something else. I remember as a kid watching his expressions after devastating Rose Bowl losses  in 1975 and 1976 where the national title was on the line.

Losses in the '70 and '75 Rose Bowls cost Hayes two national titles.  In '76 they finished 9-2-1 and won the Orange Bowl.

Paul

usc4valpo

I think in 1975, OSU was undefeated and a shoo-in for the NC, until the Rose Bowl a 17 point dog in UCLA, Dick Vermeil and Wendell Tyler upset them. Woody Hayes did not meet with the media after the game.

The 1975 Rose Bowl was even better.  And lets not forget about the 1974 USC-Notre Dame matchup with possibly the greatest 2nd Half performance in college football history. - and yes, Woody Hayes was in the broadcast booth and not happy with what was going on!

MarchArchPod

Is anyone else annoyed by the 50 yard line?