• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #3: Valpo @ Truman State, 9/21 7:00pm

Started by VULB#62, September 15, 2019, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Bold that I don't want to cancel program, University has a lack of interest, terrible facilities for our conference, historically bad loss, or we need a new AD

Because there's evidence all of that is true

usc4valpo

Bold that you have the courage to see the reality here.

Valpo avoids the shutout. Ickow praising Seewald  during garbage time and wondering about QB changes.

valpofb16

Jimmy goes in throws touchdown first series.

Can I sign Duncan's transfer portal paperwork?

usc4valpo

how bad is Charleston? May not be the ham and egger I would presume it would be.

dcannon12

Seewald goes in first series gets TD on a 3rd string defense tell it like it is ! I was there it was Truman's 3rd string if you gonna talk football tell the facts. Hope Duncan does transfer these coaches need direction but I don't think these qb 's really care it's just fun now I mean come on not a serious program.

usc4valpo

Dcannon - I am just reporting what Todd said, the Marty Moon of Valpo sports - just kidding, he has a tough job and has to make it interesting.

dcannon12

Well the say I am quoting Todd he announces for a football at  valpo never has moved on well ya know why that is! If I knew he said it I would of laughed he never tells the whole story he probably thinks Seewald is back lol.

dcannon12

I'll end with this Valpo has no athletic talent just pure talent none.  That's just how it is these students should not take it serious go along for the ride and have fun. 

VULB#62

This was a headline on the full NCAA website. Jeez. To finish the link......... D-II  football 7 victories over "FCS" programs this season. [my quotes].  Sure doesn't make Valpo look too good. Butthen, we are FCS in name only.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-21/truman-bests-valparaiso-gives-dii-football-seven-victories-over

valpofb16

For the Record Dcannon has said ahem

Our defense doesn't defend, receivers no talent run wrong routes, oline does not block

Our program is a joke and Todd Ickow has never been able to advance in his career.

Also claims that what I presume is his relative Duncan will enter the transfer portal after this following year and that it's our program and coaches fault

No need for this negativity for an underperforming senior in year 1 in new phase of the program.  But btw I've heard on all accounts the kid is a great kid and does not represent in the slightest manner the opinions above. Sad!

dcannon12

Not negativity. It's the truth not singling out anyone ok maybe Todd but he's a side show.

JD24

So now we've taken to picking on Todd Ickow.

Amazing.

Other than being healthy, Seewald doesn't have much to prove. He's still the best QB on the roster who we've seen play.

VULB#62

My guess is that Jimmy has been getting 3rd string reps while he was recovering. It was pretty evident in his accuracy. But you could see the faster pace of his reads and decision making. As long as he remains healthy, the ball will come out quicker than our other QBs, and with more game speed reps he might regain the form that resulted in over 2k yards in the air two seasons ago. I hope his receivers can adjust and find ways to get open.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on September 20, 2019, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: bbtds on September 20, 2019, 12:53:57 AM
Quote from: JD24 on September 19, 2019, 12:59:06 PMI'm looking at a 20-17 Valpo victory.
How much of your hard earned money would you bet on that prediction? $1? $5? $10? $20? $40? $50? $75? $100? $150? $200? $250? $500? $1,000?
Look my friend, if you get your jollies shitting on the team be my guest. There's a certain number of posters here and on the basketball thread who seem to extract some level of glee in pointing out poor or potential poor performance. Maybe it helps them get through the day, I don't know.

As to whether Valpo's football team will beat Truman, I have no idea. I'd just prefer to think that this is a winable game as opposed to the first two games. If you don't, then that's ok. Just be sure to enjoy your misery.

Really, you call it sh!tting on the teams. I call it being realistic. I know I can be silly, exhausting and a lot of other adjectives but I have been following Valpo teams for longer than you have been alive, since I was five, and I didn't do it to "sh!t" on the teams.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on September 21, 2019, 08:56:27 PM
Quote from: JD24 on September 20, 2019, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: bbtds on September 20, 2019, 12:53:57 AM
Quote from: JD24 on September 19, 2019, 12:59:06 PMI'm looking at a 20-17 Valpo victory.
How much of your hard earned money would you bet on that prediction? $1? $5? $10? $20? $40? $50? $75? $100? $150? $200? $250? $500? $1,000?
Look my friend, if you get your jollies shitting on the team be my guest. There's a certain number of posters here and on the basketball thread who seem to extract some level of glee in pointing out poor or potential poor performance. Maybe it helps them get through the day, I don't know. As to whether Valpo's football team will beat Truman, I have no idea. I'd just prefer to think that this is a winable game as opposed to the first two games. If you don't, then that's ok. Just be sure to enjoy your misery.
Really, you call it sh!tting on the teams. I call it being realistic. I know I can be silly, exhausting and a lot of other adjectives but I have been following Valpo teams for longer than you have been alive, since I was five, and I didn't do it to "sh!t" on the teams.
Well then you must be pretty old. Therefore enjoy your misery.

usc4valpo

JD24 - bless your heart, but when you predict a win for Valpo and they get wasted, you are going to take grief. No need to act millennial.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 21, 2019, 09:37:48 PMJD24 - bless your heart, but when you predict a win for Valpo and they get wasted, you are going to take grief. No need to act millennial.
Grief for a prediction which didn't happen I have no problem with and it's obvious that I'll have to adjust my thinking on the rest of the season. This saddens me and doesn't fill me with the glee it appears to with other posters.

Let me ask everyone....how can Davidson turn it around from a spot lower than Valpo to where they were last year and they appear to be better this season with very little in the way of change in personnel, facilities or any other concerns expressed by Valpo fans as to where this program is?

usc4valpo

What I meant in this post was that the Saders would win the fourth game of the season, and not win 4 games. I was thinking more like a 2-9 season

usc4valpo

JD24 - I cannot answer that other than the other Pioneer teams are more dedicated to athletics than Valparaiso. Davidson also has more money and greater athletic success over the past few decades, particularly in basketball.

valpofb16

Well JD24 to put things bluntly

1) Hired Scott Abel who was a proven non scholarship Head Coach

2) Hired him on Jan. 2 as opposed to week before spring break

3) He brought his staff with him

4) much nicer football facility

5) much better recruiting geographic, closer to south, better weather

6) much improved brand name of school due to Stephen Curry, think 2012,2013 butler championship teams

7) brought in a full first recruiting class of players that fit their system

8) we have Mark Labarbera, overall lack of interest in University , Cecchini left on signing day, forced to live in dorms from 50s for three years, no alcohol on campus, tuition prices raising , HS football field

Not beating a dead horse

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 22, 2019, 09:07:13 AMWell JD24 to put things bluntly 1) Hired Scott Abel who was a proven non scholarship Head Coach 2) Hired him on Jan. 2 as opposed to week before spring break 3) He brought his staff with him 
The hiring date is likely at least a somewhat significant factor in current play but it is also the remnants of the previous regime of which I think too many think too highly of even if that in itself is not too high. Better than the previous regime for sure however I just don't think they were as good as certainly they thought....particularly in the recruiting game. So whether anyone wants to hear it or not and that includes me, we're going to have to wait on Coach Fox and his staff to give them a full opportunity.

What Coach Abell brought was "different" and it's possible that "different" is what will work. MLB unfortunately was put in a tough spot in hiring Fox. I don't think there was a long list of seasoned coaches willing to leave a program to come to Valpo in February. So he probably did as well as he could. However Fox and his staff just do the same thing that hundreds of other coaches do and they are challenged with doing it better than other staffs in possibly more advantageous situations.

Right now it's hard to even critique the defense. The first two games were against clearly superior talent which I always find tells us nothing. Yesterday with 3 non-offensive TD's for Truman, it takes away 3 offensive possessions from them and we don't get to see how the defense truly looks. The offense really has me wondering as it shouldn't be this bad although I thought the passing game would suffer. That was not a confident looking bunch yesterday.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 22, 2019, 09:07:13 AM
Well JD24 to put things bluntly

1) Hired Scott Abel who was a proven non scholarship Head Coach
2) Hired him on Jan. 2 as opposed to week before spring break
3) He brought his staff with him
4) much nicer football facility
5) much better recruiting geographic, closer to south, better weather
6) much improved brand name of school due to Stephen Curry, think 2012,2013 butler championship teams
7) brought in a full first recruiting class of players that fit their system
8) we have Mark Labarbera, overall lack of interest in University , Cecchini left on signing day, forced to live in dorms from 50s for three years, no alcohol on campus, tuition prices raising , HS football field
Not beating a dead horse

Add a #9.  Abel brought with him a proven offensive system that leverages undersized and less than super-jock players ala, Navy, Army and Georgia Tech in the FBS to be competitive against teams with greater talent.  Case in point yesterday. Davidson lost on a 50 yard FG with 0.06 on the clock to fully FCS scholarshipped Campbell. DC out gained Campbell 513 - 333 (413 on the ground) and had 28 first downs to Campbell's 18. And it was at Campbell in front of 5,300 fans. Two seasons ago many of those same Davidson kids couldn't win their way out of a paper bag.

And a comment. A small nit here, but the new playing surface and its surroundings (i.e., track and visitor grandstands) are first class now. It's the home side stadium and press box that are HS.

VULB#62

24, your points on the late hire also spill into the subsequent assembling of the staff which also stole valuable time away from developing the team in Fox's image. It is a cobbled-together staff. I wouldn't be surprised that Fox will adjust his staff after the season to improve on areas of weakness like overall special teams not just place kicking (mainly the punt/KO return defenses and Valpo return components), finding the right offensive scheme that leverages Valpo talent levels, etc.

And to your point about Dave Cecchini:  so far Bucknell is 0-3 having lost to FBS Temple (12-55), Villanova (10-45), and, just yesterday, Sacred Heart (10-30)  :o. Combined scores = 126 to 32. Dave (1) brought in his own staff, (2) has beau coup financial resources, (3) FB scholarships and  (4) great facilities, yet, so far he has not turned around the Bison the way Abel turned around Davidson.

usc4valpo

Fox is in a very tough situation this year to enable success, and I feel bad for him as he seems genuine and not a flake.
Regarding Duncan, he may be a great kid, but nothing personal about him was brought up. He is struggling out there, and It is quite certain a healthy Seewald would be best at QB. I am not even sure Seewald can even play a full game. Todd Ickow proposing a QB controversy after a TD drive against Truman's third string defense was a little bizarre.

This football team in a state of disarray, which is nothing unique for those on the board.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 22, 2019, 10:37:14 AM
Fox is in a very tough situation this year to enable success, and I feel bad for him as he seems genuine and not a flake.
Regarding Duncan, he may be a great kid, but nothing personal about him was brought up. He is struggling out there, and It is quite certain a healthy Seewald would be best at QB. I am not even sure Seewald can even play a full game. Todd Ickow proposing a QB controversy after a TD drive against Truman's third string defense was a little bizarre.

This football team in a state of disarray, which is nothing unique for those on the board.

If, and it is a huge if, Seewald is healthy enough to grab and keep the QB1 position, I suspect the offensive unit's overall confidence will grow significantly. Unit play reflects its leader (i.e., the QB).  If the QB is confident and leads with cool authority and execution, the unit as a whole plays better. The converse is also true. A nervous, less than confident QB who has trouble making quick decisions or executing will cause the whole unit to play tentatively as well. The kids know Jimmy's capabilities and need only go back to the 2017 campaign to validate his leadership and skills.