• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #5-Grand Canyon @ Paradise Jam in USVI Noon CST 11/22/19- "Flohoops"

Started by talksalot, November 17, 2019, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 22, 2019, 10:52:13 PM
Quote from: talksalot on November 22, 2019, 07:02:41 PMIllinois State blows a 10 point lead... Cincy wins it 66-65 despite going 1-16 from 3 point. Sorolla did not play for the bearcats. The Jam Bracket folks don't have to worry about a VU - ISU matchup...

Illinois State vs Cincinnati

Illinois State vs UCF

Evansville vs SMU

Missouri State vs Miami

Missouri State vs Xavier

All four points or less. The Valley is SO CLOSE to having just a banner year it's so frustrating.

Agreed it is frustrating to see for as you mentioned the Valley is so close.  Evansville takes down #1 Kentucky only to loose a close one to SMU and then belly up against East Carolina.  No one really impressive left on their non con schedule.

Some hope still left:
UNI: West Virginia and #23Colorado (Wichita St. or South Carolina)
Bradley: #16Memphis (Kansas St. or Pitt)
Drake: Dayton
Valpo: Arkansas (possibly Cincy)
Loyola: possibly George Mason
Ill.St.: TCU
Most.: LSU, #21VCU
SIU: Saint Louis, Missouri
Indiana St.:  - No hope.

Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2019, 03:52:47 AMIf I was an unbiased viewer, I wouldn't complain about the foul disparity in this one.  I agree that GCU took a lot of jump shots, and our guys stayed vertical in defending.  We've had games in the past where we gave up an extra 20 FTs versus what we took, and it was because we lived on the perimeter and took jump shots.  It happens.  You could see Majerle giving it to the refs as soon as the game ended.  He was a passionate player, so it doesn't surprise me at how frustrated he is, just a few minutes after the game completed.

I watched the game and most all the fouls called on both sides were fouls. There were also some non calls both sides got away with. You take away the desperation and intentional fouls in the last 4 minutes of the game, and the disparity isn't as great as it seems. Majerle was just trying to transfer blame to the refs for his teams' lose.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 23, 2019, 12:14:35 PM

Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2019, 03:52:47 AMIf I was an unbiased viewer, I wouldn't complain about the foul disparity in this one.  I agree that GCU took a lot of jump shots, and our guys stayed vertical in defending.  We've had games in the past where we gave up an extra 20 FTs versus what we took, and it was because we lived on the perimeter and took jump shots.  It happens.  You could see Majerle giving it to the refs as soon as the game ended.  He was a passionate player, so it doesn't surprise me at how frustrated he is, just a few minutes after the game completed.

I watched the game and most all the fouls called on both sides were fouls. There were also some non calls both sides got away with. You take away the desperation and intentional fouls in the last 4 minutes of the game, and the disparity isn't as great as it seems. Majerle was just trying to transfer blame to the refs for his teams' lose.

Yeah, this morning I ended up splurging and paying the $30 since listening to the radio call it sounded like a heck of a game.  I was paying attention to rebounding and fouls and cannot say that either were terrible.  GCU almost never dribble drove to the basket (pull ups and 3 pointers with some drive and dish).  In my view our team slashes a ton (Javon, Sackey, Clay, Gordon and Robinson all like to dribble drive for layups or floaters).  So while I get their coaches concern on paper, in reality it was not egregious.

Regarding rebounding it was simply a ton of movement by their front court which kept our defenders with size away from the rim and moving (unready to rebound).  In addition when we had ok position near the rim it was deep rebounds that went over their heads.  Glad to say that I thought we played solid defense once they stopped hitting banked 3 pointers and sloppy floaters off balance.  These guys are primed to have a strong year (maybe even 20 wins).

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 23, 2019, 12:14:35 PM

So it really wasn't the refs fault it was just a big hole in GCU's game!

If he tells another pun about a hole I'm going to bury him.

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 23, 2019, 04:29:43 AM
Quote from: JD24 on November 22, 2019, 10:44:35 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 07:38:01 PMAnyone else a little nervous that our players getting the most minutes at the 5 combined for 2 rebounds today?  For those that watched the game (I listened) what can you share with us regarding performance in the PF/C positions in the game?
What PF/C guys? Mileek was out most of the game and Fazekas and Krikke didn't play. Freese-Vilien is a statue and Kiser isn't exactly Mr. Hops. Yet Valpo was only outrebounded by 3.
I'm suggesting anyone guarding the 4 or 5 is "considered" a PF/C on defense.  Your point is taken, but I was inquiring (of the available players) why we were underperforming on the boards.  Sounds like it was just the way the game played (jump shots and 3's which are more commonly long rebounds when missed) combined with their PF/C stretching the floor. Kiser was quiet with Rebounds and Clay only had 4.  That means our players with any size on the inside had something like 5 or 6 reb.  That's alarming to me.
Three Guards had 6 rebounds and Clay had 4. The  players with "size" are Kiser who's listed at 6'5" and isn't a quick leaper and Freeze-Vilien who's 6'10" but isn't a quick anything.