• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Labarbera needs to step down

Started by valpofb16, November 20, 2019, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Sadly, the whole discounting/sticker game is an appeal to the vanity of students/parents. 

But it is a psychological reality.  A few years ago, JC Penney tried to square up their pricing for a while and just got hammered on their sales.  It went something like this. At JCP during that test period, you would buy a $3 pair of socks for $3.00

I'm not ashamed to say that I shop at Kohls.  At Kohls, you see the same pair of socks, but it has a sticker price of $12.00.  Then you can walk off with a receipt saying, "YOU JUST SAVED $9.00 !!! or 75% :)     

ksValpo01

Valpo sponsored 21 sports up until they cut MSO and MTN. I should know. The NCAA counts them as 21.

As for the Drew's, please note that they had no part in the move to the MVC. Continuing to point out the sweet 16 run from 1998 means nothing to anyone. Its a great piece of nostalgia, but the University missed a huge opportunity when they treated it like a one-off. See Gonzaga for further information, since they started becoming big in the same year.

Finally, facilities, University leadership and the support of rich donors would have an impact on one's ability to run a successful athletics program. If you don't have permission from the top administrators of the university to cultivate big money makers as athletics donors, you're dead in the water.

talksalot

Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2019, 08:30:04 AMhe is another 98,000 plus hot dog revenue 

the Football Concessions are run by the VU Guild.  They distribute the funds to Vu students and student organizations.

vu72

Quote from: ksValpo01 on December 05, 2019, 01:41:16 PM
Valpo sponsored 21 sports up until they cut MSO and MTN. I should know. The NCAA counts them as 21.

As for the Drew's, please note that they had no part in the move to the MVC. Continuing to point out the sweet 16 run from 1998 means nothing to anyone. Its a great piece of nostalgia, but the University missed a huge opportunity when they treated it like a one-off. See Gonzaga for further information, since they started becoming big in the same year.

Finally, facilities, University leadership and the support of rich donors would have an impact on one's ability to run a successful athletics program. If you don't have permission from the top administrators of the university to cultivate big money makers as athletics donors, you're dead in the water.

Men's basketball received a $2 million contribution to endow recruiting.  It isn't like there aren't any big money donors involved in sports.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

That $2M was certainly generous but a one time donation. The basketball program requires financial commitments like that annually. The basketball program has done more for Valpo than what Valpo has done for the basketball program.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 05, 2019, 06:32:07 PM
That $2M was certainly generous but a one time donation. The basketball program requires financial commitments like that annually. The basketball program has done more for Valpo than what Valpo has done for the basketball program.

Annually?  For effect or is there more about the budget some of us don't know?

usc4valpo

I am saying basketball is the Valpo flagship sport and needs to be treated and funded appropriately similar to the top half of the MVC.

vu84v2

Let's remember that the $2M donation was endowed. Without the actual numbers that the university uses or the terms of the donation, you can make the assumption that it pays about 5% of the principal (equal to a fairly conservative expected rate of return) to the athletic department/basketball program each year. Thus, it operationally functions the same as if someone was donating $100K per year in perpetuity for recruiting. Then (and I have no way of knowing whether this is true), it is possible that the university uses some or all of that $100K  to offset annual funds that it needs to provide to the athletic department. I would suggest that you not panic at that thought, because it is also possible that the donor requires that the money increase the overall athletic department and basketball program budget in the terms of the donation.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 05, 2019, 09:26:05 PM
I am saying basketball is the Valpo flagship sport and needs to be treated and funded appropriately similar to the top half of the MVC.

I do not disagree with that statement, but if you assume that revenues will remain constant what programs or activities would you target for reduced spending? Companies and good organizations (like Valpo) do not run deficits like the federal government.

usc4valpo

ok, so what programs at Valpo are stagnant with little value or no growth potential to the university? What programs are not net positive? Start with that.

Assuming we are losing money on football (perhaps a bad assumption), after all the factors are calculated, and the student/alumni apathy is consistently low, and the performance is poor, and you do not make significant changes to improve it, then why keep the program?

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 06, 2019, 09:12:19 AM
ok, so what programs at Valpo are stagnant with little value or no growth potential to the university? What programs are not net positive? Start with that.

Assuming we are losing money on football (perhaps a bad assumption), after all the factors are calculated, and the student/alumni apathy is consistently low, and the performance is poor, and you do not make significant changes to improve it, then why keep the program?

I presume you are talking athletics and if so there are almost all operating at a loss as only Football, Basketball and Volleyball are "revenue" sports.  The problem is that Title 9 won't let you eliminate women's sports. 

If, on the other hand you are talking about academic programs, that is under constant review.  In the General Valpo discussion area I posted a radio interview with President Heckler.  It is worth the time to hear it.  The biggest financial bogie for Valpo has been the Law School and this is its last year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

I think you can eliminate Wonen's sports even with Title IX, as long as you eliminate men's sports, which Valpo has done.

And yes, I am talking about all programs at Valpo, not just athletics. You dont want to run your operations too diluted.

FieldGoodie05

Does anyone else feel in awe at the fact that our tiny 3,000 student University is playing in a Top 10 basketball conference?  Sometimes we don't look back at the journey the program has taken since many of us were walking around the campus.  Sometimes I lose track of the fact that our biggest conference hurdles to clear 15-years ago were ORU, WIU and SUU.

I plan on attending the game this weekend where we are hosting CMU.  This game and that of our Non-Conference schedule has remained sort of the same over those years but my excitement is now in the conference games we are slated to play.  I cannot say that was the case for much of my time watching the program.

For me anyways, I am appreciative of what Mark LaBarbera has done for our program and look forward to the growth we can display in the near future. 

crusadermoe

Agree strongly.    Two conference changes have upgraded our stature.  With ESPN crawls across the screen, we are now identified in the public mind.  it also helps to locate us in the national mind with Iowa/Illinois/Missouri/Indiana and some good brands like Loyola, Drake, Bradley, and Evansville.

That is much better than Southern Utah, Youngstown, Oral Roberts, Centenary, UMKC, Oakland (California?) Detroit/RoboCop of yesteryears.   We forget how far we have climbed!   This message board was once satured with pleas to leave the Mid-Continent(Summit) to join a new conference   I was one of the loudest.

We also compete in a conference tourney that is well branded and attended.  Arch Madness!!   (icold, cavernous, and dangerous Detroit anyone?) 

usc4valpo

MLB, given limited resources and lack of empathy from the Valpo board, has done a decent job. However, if you want to grow, you usually have to change how activities are carried out. Sometimes different ideas and strategies are good.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 07, 2019, 08:11:01 AMMLB, given limited resources and lack of empathy from the Valpo board, has done a decent job. However, if you want to grow, you usually have to change how activities are carried out. Sometimes different ideas and strategies are good.

Yeah, Mark's a good guy and has done a good job.

usc4valpo

Agreed - he is a good guy and has done a good Job, although being a "good guy"  and a doing a good job as of today may not be the solution for the future. This is a difficult situation. MLB was in a tough situation reducing sports but my feeling is that it has to be done.

I think Valpo should continue reducing athletic programs and academic programs that do not contribute to mission success. Yes it is painful but these are decisions that well-paid employees have to make.

Like it or not, running a university has many similarities to running a corporation, especially in 2019.

valpopal

To put everything in perspective, I decided to look back at where Valpo basketball was ten years ago. The Horizon League in the 2009-2010 season consisted of Butler, Cleveland State, Detroit, Green Bay, Loyola, Milwaukee, UIC, Valparaiso, Wright State, Youngstown State. In the decade since then, three teams have progressed significantly: Butler, Loyola, and Valparaiso. If we contrast these programs, we would have to agree Butler made the biggest leap forward to the Big East and had the most success on the court and in national exposure. Loyola received a great deal of national exposure with its tournament run to the Final Four and the celebrity of Sister Jean, plus they have done an excellent job updating their facilities. Valparaiso has joined Loyola at the higher tier MVC, but is yet to see the success or national exposure (and financial rewards) experienced by Butler and Loyola.

Consequently, we can be pleased Valparaiso is one of the three programs to rise from the Horizon League; however, we must acknowledge thus far Valpo has not stepped up in its on court performance or in its profile as a team in an upper-tier conference. I don't place all the blame on LaBarbera because he is limited by what appears to be a lack of support; nevertheless, he is the public figure representing Valpo Athletics. The VU administration (from Heckler to the Athletics Department) can be credited with the step up, but it must also be criticized for lacking a display of knowledge or action in more sophisticated publicity, promotion, and physical appearance of facilities.

It almost seems as if Valpo advanced to the MVC when given the opportunity, as fans hoped they would, but the administration was unprepared for everything that accompanies such an upward move. Unfortunately, it must be noted as well that Valpo's move to the MVC coincidentally coincided with the closing of the Law School and other recent economic concerns for universities like Valpo, resulting in conditions that likely hamper fuller support for athletics and leading to consequences such as the end of men's tennis and soccer.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on December 07, 2019, 12:09:28 PMUnfortunately, it must be noted as well that Valpo's move to the MVC coincidentally coincided with the closing of the Law School and other recent economic concerns for universities like Valpo, resulting in conditions that likely hamper fuller support for athletics and leading to consequences such as the end of men's tennis and soccer.

Finally, at the end of a long post, you acknowledge the reality.

valpo64

I agree that Mark LaBarbera has done a fine job with limited resources.  A lot of new money has gone into our "major" athletic programs to upgrade facilities, etc. including I believe around $500,00 for TV facilities and equipment to meet MVC standards.  Perhaps the Administration got caught off guard when we made the move to the MVC and then the Law School thing.  However remember that you have to make the move to the MVC when the opportunity arises.  If we hadn't, we might not have had the chance to make that move until who knows when.  I commend Mark L and the Administration for making the move when we did even though it may take a little longer to meet all of the upgrading needed.  It is evident that they are working toward meeting those goals and hopefully then will come sooner rather than later.

usc4valpo

64 - good response, but Valpo needs to expedite the transformance to becoming a true committed MVC member.