• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Stephen F. Austin hoops

Started by usc4valpo, November 27, 2019, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

What a phenomenal win and a nice payout for the Lumberjacks. I have been watching these guys for awhile as my wife went to school there, and I have always been impressed with how well coached they are and how they move the ball around. OK, the Southland is a weak conference and no one knows where Nacadoches is, but Valpo coaching should watch some film on these guys.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 27, 2019, 06:49:00 AM
What a phenomenal win and a nice payout for the Lumberjacks. I have been watching these guys for awhile as my wife went to school there, and I have always been impressed with how well coached they are and how they move the ball around. OK, the Southland is a weak conference and no one knows where Nacadoches is, but Valpo coaching should watch some film on these guys.

Does this help?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nacogdoches,+TX/@31.6159141,-96.8842482,7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8637895fa4158787:0x88db1616dcfba3ee!8m2!3d31.6035129!4d-94.6554874

Now spelling Nacogdoches is something else altogether.

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 27, 2019, 06:49:00 AMNacadoches

Also it should never be confused with Natchitoches, LA

Nacogdoches - the oldest town in Texas - is named for the Caddo family of Indians who once lived in the area. ... The twin who settled three days toward the setting sun was Nacogdoches. The other brother, Natchitoches, settled three days to the east in Louisiana.

111 miles apart
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Natchitoches,+LA/Nacogdoches,+TX/@31.7335771,-94.4460761,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x863087527943856d:0x4e4b2e7210be432d!2m2!1d-93.0862749!2d31.7607195!1m5!1m1!1s0x8637895fa4158787:0x88db1616dcfba3ee!2m2!1d-94.6554874!2d31.6035129!3e0

usc4valpo

My bad. It is a beautiful campus in the Piney Woods of East Texas and historically the teachers and forestry college in Texas. Also, Don Henley went there.

This is what happens in November when an experienced team of 1-stars face a team of 5-star one-and-doners. A fantastic, well deserved win.

vu84v2

This is what is great about college basketball. Experience, effort, teamwork and strategy matter much more than in most any other sport. I did not see the game, but it seems like SFA earned it. Two unranked mid-majors beating number one teams on their home court in the same season...amazing!

EddieCabot

I think I heard on SportsCenter that Duke had won something like 150 straight non-con home games.  Quite an amazing streak and more amazing that SFA broke it.  Kentucky just lost at home, so I assume UNC probably has the current longest streak.

usc4valpo

Actually, the current streak is owned by Butler

valpotx

I do, I do!  :)

We actually learned about Nacogdoches in TX history, and assume that kids still do, as well.  I will find out once my 3 boys get to Middle School, several years from now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

What happens to SFA if they lose in the Southland? Would you rank them above UNI?

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2020, 08:06:30 PM
What happens to SFA if they lose in the Southland? Would you rank them above UNI?

Pom Rank

SFA 100
UNI   48

usc4valpo

SFA beat Duke at Cameron. And in the words of Coach Ditka, "Statistics are for idiots." If I take the eye test, I take the Lumberjacks.

VUGrad1314

Man they'd make a terrific MVC team... If only they and Oral Roberts could switch locations....

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2020, 08:41:08 PM
SFA beat Duke at Cameron. And in the words of Coach Ditka, "Statistics are for idiots." If I take the eye test, I take the Lumberjacks.

Evansville beat Kentucky and they, like SFA, would lose to Northern Iowa.

usc4valpo

I think UNI would be a 3 point favorite on a neutral court. Who knows.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2020, 08:46:55 PM
I think UNI would be a 3 point favorite on a neutral court. Who knows.

I think it all depends on what kind of shooting game AJ Green has. I saw him have an unusual poor shooting evening against Drake on Thursday in St Louis.

VUGrad1314

That was horrible. I couldn't believe how bad he looked. I didn't think that was possible. I always wondered how UNI would do if Green wasn't at least decent and had a truly horrible game. Answer: Not good. That team is WAY too dependent on A.J. Green and if they want to maximize the window that Green is giving them they need to become a team that can withstand him having a bad night. They need to become a team that complements him but doesn't play totally through him. It's the same thing with Valpo and JFL and I think Valpo is well on its way to becoming a team like that that augments JFL's skill set but can pick him up when he doesn't play as well as we're used to. Panther fans seem very excited about their incoming class though so maybe Green will get the help he needs there. Next year should be fun.