• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Athletic Department should be embarrassed.

Started by valpospartan, January 26, 2020, 11:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

The absence of a pep band was not the only strange thing inside the ARC today, at the basketball game against Evansville.  No, a much stranger thing took place under the west backboard.  There were two toddlers that were assigned there to mop sweat from the floor.  I say toddlers, because I estimate that they were no older than 5 years old.  They were cute little girls, but they had no business doing that job as they were physically unable to handle the mops.  Of course it certainly was not their fault, but rather that of whoever is in charge of filling that activity.  There was a member of the ARC Event staff stationed near that backboard all game, who did absolutely nothing to help the kids and make sure that the floor was taken care of.  Young children should not be used for this activity.  It was so bad that late in the game, an Evansville team manager ran over, grabbed a mop, and dried off the floor prior to his team shooting a free throw - how bad is this?  I, and the people around me were embarrassed. 

NativeCheesehead

It was a wet floor that led to Javon's injury. Maybe it was a sweat area that didn't get mopped up or maybe just condensation, but clearly something that needs to be addressed. Doesn't really matter if you're a "Take care of the big things and the little things will handle themselves" person or not: When it comes to Gameday Experience, we do not get the little things right. From the ball kids, to the PA, to the bathrooms that stink of urine and chemicals because the university doesn't believe in urinals that flush.

And the pep band. I'm under 50 so I'm not sure I'm old enough to use "back in my day". But back in my day, a virus taking out a dozen pep band members would leave 20-25 left, which would STILL be more than we have most games now. And I'm long past assigning blame for any of this. There are so many little things around this department that could be solved with some time and ingenuity rather than money, but it seems we're short on all three.

wh

Two groups in the world seriously impacted by virus problems right now - China and the Valpo Pep Band.

valpo64

You may want to include the kids keeping the floor clean also.  As for helping the kids with the floor it looks to me like we have many "old farts" wearing the fancy VU "event" shirts that like to stand around and and do nothing.  I think that there is a lot of "dead wood" in  that group, however there are also a number of those staff people who work  hard and try to do a good job.

Valpo89

The VU "event" guys are volunteers from the Lions Club. I think their only job is to assist with seating.

4throwfan

Quote from: valpospartan on January 26, 2020, 11:05:28 PM
The absence of a pep band was not the only strange thing inside the ARC today, at the basketball game against Evansville.  No, a much stranger thing took place under the west backboard.  There were two toddlers that were assigned there to mop sweat from the floor.  I say toddlers, because I estimate that they were no older than 5 years old.  They were cute little girls, but they had no business doing that job as they were physically unable to handle the mops.  Of course it certainly was not their fault, but rather that of whoever is in charge of filling that activity.  There was a member of the ARC Event staff stationed near that backboard all game, who did absolutely nothing to help the kids and make sure that the floor was taken care of.  Young children should not be used for this activity.  It was so bad that late in the game, an Evansville team manager ran over, grabbed a mop, and dried off the floor prior to his team shooting a free throw - how bad is this?  I, and the people around me were embarrassed. 

I noticed the two girls and the Aces' "volunteer" as well.  I see this as more than an embarrassment issue.  What if one of the Aces slipped and seriously hurt themselves.  I'm sure that Evansville would have a legitimate gripe to the league.  I've never seen the league contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were obligations built in, such as must provide a locker room, shoot around time, general security and safety, and so on.  Seems that a requirement of generally and adequately staffing the sporting events would be included.  If that's correct, then it seems that VU was in violation of the agreement.  If the injury were due to a VU infraction of the agreement, then that could be a serious issue for the University.

I like it that young kids are given that job, but they need to be able to do it.  As much as I enjoyed watching the two girls fumble around with the mop, I don't think it was appropriate for Division 1 basketball, which is serious business.

NativeCheesehead

valpospartan

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 27, 2020, 06:23:11 PM
The VU "event" guys are volunteers from the Lions Club. I think their only job is to assist with seating.

Read my words again.  I said "ARC Event staff".  There was a yellow shirted female Event Staff person (presumably a student) who was around that backboard all game.  She watched the girls struggle with the mops, and forget to deliver water to the refs.  I never saw her step in and take over.  Now I am not positive that she was there for that purpose, but she was there all game, mostly hiding behind the stanchion, so it is a good presumption.
I know it isn't the job of the Lion's Club volunteers, and didn't intend to give that impression.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpo64 on January 27, 2020, 10:25:17 AM
You may want to include the kids keeping the floor clean also.  As for helping the kids with the floor it looks to me like we have many "old farts" wearing the fancy VU "event" shirts that like to stand around and and do nothing.  I think that there is a lot of "dead wood" in  that group, however there are also a number of those staff people who work  hard and try to do a good job.

I think you are mixing up two different groups: One is ARC Event Staff, which I believe is made up of students. The other that you hatefully referred to as old farts and dead wood, are ushers, who are volunteers from the Lion's Club.  I presume that the biggest part of their job is standing around offering crowd control.  I submit that you owe them an apology.

NativeCheesehead

Not sure who's who in all this. If there's a group who volunteers, great. Thanks for your help.

Then I wonder how many of our conference mates have unpaid volunteers in their home arenas.

In so many ways we never really left the Mid-Con.

JD24

Quote from: valpospartan on January 26, 2020, 11:05:28 PMThe absence of a pep band was not the only strange thing inside the ARC today, at the basketball game against Evansville.  No, a much stranger thing took place under the west backboard.  There were two toddlers that were assigned there to mop sweat from the floor.  I say toddlers, because I estimate that they were no older than 5 years old.  They were cute little girls, but they had no business doing that job as they were physically unable to handle the mops.  Of course it certainly was not their fault, but rather that of whoever is in charge of filling that activity.  There was a member of the ARC Event staff stationed near that backboard all game, who did absolutely nothing to help the kids and make sure that the floor was taken care of.  Young children should not be used for this activity.  It was so bad that late in the game, an Evansville team manager ran over, grabbed a mop, and dried off the floor prior to his team shooting a free throw - how bad is this?  I, and the people around me were embarrassed.
This scenario needs to be forwarded to Mark LaBarbera with a well thought out "are you kidding me?" attached to the email.

If Mark is on the board, here is my personal "are you kidding me?"

JD24

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 27, 2020, 10:24:55 PMNot sure who's who in all this. If there's a group who volunteers, great. Thanks for your help. Then I wonder how many of our conference mates have unpaid volunteers in their home arenas. In so many ways we never really left the Mid-Con.
Whoever who is who, it ought to be figured out without somehow including single digit aged kids.

VUGrad1314

This is just ridiculous. That's just incompetence and laziness to have an oversight like that. How much thought time and effort does it take to find somebody who can reasonably be expected to know (someone of at least middle or high school age but preferably an adult) to wipe the floor during time outs and deliver water to the refs? Maybe this is why we're on the wrong end of some tough calls even at home. We don't take care of the refs then why should we expect them to take care of us? Just ridiculous and embarrassing. I don't even think that's NAIA stuff. That's not even church rec league stuff. It's not even Boys and Girls Club or YMCA kids league stuff. That's just.. I don't even know what that is... Come on Valpo Do better...

humbleopinion

This isn't a new issue. For years kids who are too young to pay attention to their duties have been chosen for the job.  I'm not sure how the kids are chosen, but if coaches of local middle school teams were contacted (or coaches of varsity teams who would relay the info down the train), I'm sure* that there would be plenty of kids who would jump at the chance to sit at courtside and be part of the game.

*As I type I have become less "sure." I would like to think that kids haven't changed that much.
Beamin' Beacons

VUGrad1314

Like seriously though? How does an athletic department that has accomplished as much as this one has amid difficult circumstances less than stellar administrative support a small alumni base and tough sledding for fan support miss stuff like this? Like I said how much time thought and effort does it take to ensure that stuff like this is taken care of? It's ridiculous and upsetting because it's a bad look for the school and unbecoming and not befitting the status this department has achieved. They deserve recognition for all the good they've done but good God this kind of stuff SEVERELY undermines all of the gains that have been made and are being made.

elephtheria47

3 recent alums were disappointed when they returned on Sunday and couldnt find a pep band or any replays, and where the community dance team that was brought in for halftime was better than the Valpo dance team who performed right before them, despite being much younger. 

vuny98

Maybe it's just me, but I believe I have seen kids doing the mop duty at NBA games, let alone mid major D1 Basketball . So I would imagine it's not uncommon. Also I'm sure we have all seen situations in high profile games where the "Mop Boy" just can't seem to figure out how to clean the wet spot on the floor and the ref has to keep redirecting him to clean it up. That being said, if the people chosen are not able to do the job, whether it be they are not paying attention, too young, can't handle the mop... yes it is a problem and should have been addressed. But to act like this is some huge scandal and embarrassment that we had kids handling mop duty is a bit of an over reach. There are plenty of other things we as a fan base should be embarrassed about as it pertains to the ARC and the gameday experience before we get to kids and mops.

oklahomamick

Athletic department blemishes go beyond using kids as mop up duty.   

We know this. 

So when things don't change and we hear excuse after excuse, then us as consumers and fans pick any and everything to complain about including kids mopping up moisture on the floor, no parking, bad lights, bad sound system, no beer, bad non conference home schedule, concessions, bathrooms, halftime shows, people working at the game and season ticket prices. 

I guess I should have just stopped with the kids working mop duty. 

Come on athletic department.  Just give us one of these.  Just one to convince us you are trying.  Just one.
CRUSADERS!!!

4throwfan

Quote from: vuny98 on January 28, 2020, 02:24:10 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I believe I have seen kids doing the mop duty at NBA games, let alone mid major D1 Basketball . So I would imagine it's not uncommon. Also I'm sure we have all seen situations in high profile games where the "Mop Boy" just can't seem to figure out how to clean the wet spot on the floor and the ref has to keep redirecting him to clean it up. That being said, if the people chosen are not able to do the job, whether it be they are not paying attention, too young, can't handle the mop... yes it is a problem and should have been addressed. But to act like this is some huge scandal and embarrassment that we had kids handling mop duty is a bit of an over reach. There are plenty of other things we as a fan base should be embarrassed about as it pertains to the ARC and the gameday experience before we get to kids and mops.

I agree with you to an extent.  I think that Mick was simply noting the cumulative number of things, which I think is where some of the frustration is.

One thing that would make a lot of these complaints go away would be more wins.  If VU were 17-3 (or better) right now rather than 10-10 (or 11-10 depending on how you count), then we'd be talking about a lot of other things like bracketology, polling, etc., and not about mopping and bathrooms.  I think most of us prefer those other conversations.

M

I bet the department will be thrilled when they get your emails offering to volunteer to do mop duty.

oklahomamick

M - I may not volunteer to mop from 1,000 miles away but I do donate and give.   :thumbsup: 

You got next? 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

4throwfan, spot on.  Yes, it's a long laundry list of things too.  These shortcomings were happening the last 10 years, but we were winning so we didn't bother. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpospartan

Quote from: vuny98 on January 28, 2020, 02:24:10 PM

But you haven't seen 5 year old's mopping.  The school hires students, as do must schools, to do various jobs at athletic events, so why not use them for mop duty.  Heck Volleyball games have students cleaning the floor, and mopping sweat.  No one is calling this a scandal, but it is just another embarrassment that takes place at the ARC. 

M

I'm not finding any little thing to complain about...so no I won't be volunteering (I may ask my 8th and 4th graders if they're interested though).

Go Valpo

NativeCheesehead

But hey, at least we're getting lights on the baseball field......