• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Illinois State Game Thread, Sat., Feb. 15th, 2020, 6:00p CT

Started by wh, February 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2020, 06:24:24 AM
Tex - I didn't know illinois st. Was against Valpo joining the league.  How do you know this?  Illinois state seems to be the only team we have a winning record against since joining. 

Didn't we recruit a player that ended up choosing Illinois state over us?

Great win and that was fun.  Would like to enjoy it more but a big part of me is why should I be happy about beating the second to last place team.  It should be expected. 

They beat UNI. Record just does not matter when playing on the road in conference.

tiny707

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: tiny707 on February 16, 2020, 07:49:26 AM
Did Sackey play at all in second half?

I didn't see him in the 2nd half.  Should he have played?

JD24

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2020, 06:24:24 AMTex - I didn't know illinois st. Was against Valpo joining the league.  How do you know this?  Illinois state seems to be the only team we have a winning record against since joining. Didn't we recruit a player that ended up choosing Illinois state over us? Great win and that was fun.  Would like to enjoy it more but a big part of me is why should I be happy about beating the second to last place team.  It should be expected.
Taylor Bruninga is the player who ended up at Illinois St. He's battled injury nearly since he got there and looked terrible last night.

I thought the issue with ISU was their fans talking Valpo down which, considering their program, is laughable.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:10 PM
many
frustrated
noises

Getting close to losing interest in watching this trash.

Quote from: jloose128 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:36 PM
That was pathetic.

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 15, 2020, 06:51:02 PM
So frustrating.

Quote from: valpolaw on February 15, 2020, 06:51:40 PM
They look lost. That was pitiful
Quote from: VUSL98 on February 15, 2020, 06:51:50 PM
That wasn't pretty.  Poor passing leading to turnovers.  No strength to the basket.  Apparently, getting to the game site early means nothing.
Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2020, 06:52:14 PM
From down 7 with around 1 minute left, to down 17.  That was the worst stretch of basketball I have ever seen.
Quote from: nkvu on February 15, 2020, 06:55:43 PM
Correction. We stunk it up early, and we stunk it up late making the entire first half stink. Man, we just cannot play decent in consecutive games. We lose our "glue guy" and the team just falls completely apart. We don't play defense, we don't have an offense. Maybe we'll get it together and play an outstanding second half and only lose by ten. Pitiful performance, just pitiful. 

Thankfully I don't have a tv feed here so I don't have to see this performance. It was way painful listening it.

I didn't see the game I only saw the final score but I thought what a nail biter of a game this must of been to a team we probably should have beaten easily but then I read these comments and thought, wow, we really came a long way back to win this one.

GoldenCrusader87

What this team would be without Freeman ... i don't want to know. Nice to see him step up last night and take the game into his own hands.

Impressive to say the least. Put him on the payroll. Deserves it more then any coach.

nkvu

Quote from: bbtds on February 16, 2020, 10:22:20 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:10 PM
many
frustrated
noises

Getting close to losing interest in watching this trash.

Quote from: jloose128 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:36 PM
That was pathetic.

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 15, 2020, 06:51:02 PM
So frustrating.

Quote from: valpolaw on February 15, 2020, 06:51:40 PM
They look lost. That was pitiful
Quote from: VUSL98 on February 15, 2020, 06:51:50 PM
That wasn't pretty.  Poor passing leading to turnovers.  No strength to the basket.  Apparently, getting to the game site early means nothing.
Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2020, 06:52:14 PM
From down 7 with around 1 minute left, to down 17.  That was the worst stretch of basketball I have ever seen.
Quote from: nkvu on February 15, 2020, 06:55:43 PM
Correction. We stunk it up early, and we stunk it up late making the entire first half stink. Man, we just cannot play decent in consecutive games. We lose our "glue guy" and the team just falls completely apart. We don't play defense, we don't have an offense. Maybe we'll get it together and play an outstanding second half and only lose by ten. Pitiful performance, just pitiful. 

Thankfully I don't have a tv feed here so I don't have to see this performance. It was way painful listening it.

I didn't see the game I only saw the final score but I thought what a nail biter of a game this must of been to a team we probably should have beaten easily but then I read these comments and thought, wow, we really came a long way back to win this one.

I was only off by thirteen points and the win. That's why I don't bet on sports.

valpotx

Yes, it was the Illinois State fans that really trashed Valpo joining the MVC.  There were a few UNI fans (not many), but ISUr fans were pretty outspoken about our joining.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Missouri State and Drake win to create a 4 way tie for 5th in the conference with VU and Indiana State. Evansville gave Drake a pretty tough game, we need to go in there and just have a complete game. Winning on Wednesday would go a long way to keeping us out of the Thursday games.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2020, 04:19:43 PM
Yes, it was the Illinois State fans that really trashed Valpo joining the MVC.  There were a few UNI fans (not many), but ISUr fans were pretty outspoken about our joining.

I've gotten to know a few ISUr fans at Arch Madness over the last several years. Spent some time with them last night. The people I've met love having Valpo in the league.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Quote from: Pgmado on February 16, 2020, 06:05:00 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2020, 04:19:43 PM

I've gotten to know a few ISUr fans at Arch Madness over the last several years. Spent some time with them last night. The people I've met love having Valpo in the league.
Fan message boards should never be taken as the voice of all fans, but at least one person on redbirds.net acknowledged the less-than-appreciative stance of ISU fans towards the addition of Valpo and Loyola.

Let's not forget how upset most were where the Valley added those pathetic underachieving Valparaiso and Loyola programs; two programs that have consistently beat us like a drum since they began MVC play.
We are now the dregs of the MVC.

wh

I will be departing NWI in a few hours and won't be back before the college bb season is over. I will be following when I can and as internet service permits. That said, would someone kindly start game threads from here forward? Go Crusaders!

valpo64

Regarding IL St fans being upset...it all started when Alec Peters chose VU over the Redbirds.  They were quite upset when they lost him to dear old Valpo    :)

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: bbtds on February 16, 2020, 10:22:20 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:10 PMmany frustrated noises Getting close to losing interest in watching this trash.
Quote from: jloose128 on February 15, 2020, 06:50:36 PMThat was pathetic.
Quote from: usc4valpo on February 15, 2020, 06:51:02 PMSo frustrating.
Quote from: valpolaw on February 15, 2020, 06:51:40 PMThey look lost. That was pitiful
Quote from: VUSL98 on February 15, 2020, 06:51:50 PMThat wasn't pretty.  Poor passing leading to turnovers.  No strength to the basket.  Apparently, getting to the game site early means nothing.
Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2020, 06:52:14 PMFrom down 7 with around 1 minute left, to down 17.  That was the worst stretch of basketball I have ever seen.
Quote from: nkvu on February 15, 2020, 06:55:43 PMCorrection. We stunk it up early, and we stunk it up late making the entire first half stink. Man, we just cannot play decent in consecutive games. We lose our "glue guy" and the team just falls completely apart. We don't play defense, we don't have an offense. Maybe we'll get it together and play an outstanding second half and only lose by ten. Pitiful performance, just pitiful. Thankfully I don't have a tv feed here so I don't have to see this performance. It was way painful listening it.

These are the reason I've been trying to not comment until after games, and even then for an hour or so. This team is unpredictable from half to half and it's useful to just, you know... have a scotch and not get too high or low.

Though I will admit to a fist pump after the Freeman dunk  ;D

valpo64

Has Matt's post game presser been posted?  It would be interesting to see both Matt's and  the IL ST portion of post game comments.

4throwfan

Quote from: valpo64 on February 17, 2020, 03:32:18 PM
Regarding IL St fans being upset...it all started when Alec Peters chose VU over the Redbirds.  They were quite upset when they lost him to dear old Valpo    :)

The highlight from the game below is when the Redbirds defeated VU in 2018.  They were so proud of themselves for dunking on a then-freshman Mileek.

Good thing that their fans were so proud of them then, because since then, Mileek and his friends have reeled off 5 straight wins, culminating the humiliation on Saturday night on their home court.

Gotta love Karma.  I hope IL St fans are upset and seething about VU's entry into the MVC for a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo08A_WPfdM