• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lottich's Contract

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 21, 2020, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

vU2014 - if you have a new AD who is competent (btw, this is not a gimme) and your flagship program keeps spiraling down to suck hood, you have quit saving nickels and make a change for the long term.  I also feel there has to be some kind of buyout.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 12, 2022, 08:45:19 AM
vU2014 - if you have a new AD who is competent (btw, this is not a gimme) and your flagship program keeps spiraling down to suck hood, you have quit saving nickels and make a change for the long term.  I also feel there has to be some kind of buyout.

I don't disagree it would be a wise decision, especially giving the AD a year to settle in and evaluate the program and they determine he isn't up to standards. Let him go if they don't have to pull the whole salary.

But as you know Valparaiso is pretty frugal. I just have a hard time seeing them paying.

Chairback

https://usawire.com/lubos-barton/amp/

I'd take him as an assistant coach in a heart beat.   Same thing with AP or Rowdy

Just Sayin

Quote from: Chairback on February 12, 2022, 11:43:14 AM

I'd take him as an assistant coach in a heart beat.   Same thing with AP or Rowdy

Not under Lottich. Let him get his feet wet at Davidson or elsewhere as an assistant and then take a closer look at him. But NOT at Valpo NOW.

Now that was a great Valpo player.

vu72

All this talk about how bad Matt has done led me to take a look at another Indiana coach, Lavell Jordan at the school in Indianapolis.  They are about the same age and although Jordan had one year of head coaching experience at Milwaukee, they both came in with questions.  Lavell signed a $350,000 contract in 2016 and after finishing second in the Big East, with players he inherited (sound familiar?) he was given a multiyear extension and apparently a BIG raise as it is now reported that he makes $1.7 million a year.

So what happened next?. Well, since his first season, Butler has finished 6th of 10, 8th of 10, 5th of 10, 10th of 11 and currently is sitting at 9th of 11.  Was he/is he in over his head?  He could coach at the Horizon level but can he coach/recruit at the Big East level?  Or was he not supported by his administration with facilities and money?

Sound about the same as our discussions about Matt although his results may actually be a little better.  Is it a matter of money and facilities or a matter of being in over his head when it comes to coaching at the MVC level?

Just a reminder that Evansville remains at the bottom of our conference and are coached by a guy who was the NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR in 2007.  It's complicated...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on February 12, 2022, 01:14:34 PM
All this talk about how bad Matt has done led me to take a look at another Indiana coach, Lavell Jordan at the school in Indianapolis.  They are about the same age and although Jordan had one year of head coaching experience at Milwaukee, they both came in with questions.  Lavell signed a $350,000 contract in 2016 and after finishing second in the Big East, with players he inherited (sound familiar?) he was given a multiyear extension and apparently a BIG raise as it is now reported that he makes $1.7 million a year.

So what happened next?. Well, since his first season, Butler has finished 6th of 10, 8th of 10, 5th of 10, 10th of 11 and currently is sitting at 9th of 11.  Was he/is he in over his head?  He could coach at the Horizon level but can he coach/recruit at the Big East level?  Or was he not supported by his administration with facilities and money?

Sound about the same as our discussions about Matt although his results may actually be a little better.  Is it a matter of money and facilities or a matter of being in over his head when it comes to coaching at the MVC level?

Just a reminder that Evansville remains at the bottom of our conference and are coached by a guy who was the NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR in 2007.  It's complicated...

Who said that Jordan could coach at the HL level?  He was 11-24 at UW-M...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 12, 2022, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: Chairback on February 12, 2022, 11:43:14 AM

Not under Lottich. Let him get his feet wet at Davidson or elsewhere as an assistant and then take a closer look at him. But NOT at Valpo NOW.

Now that was a great Valpo player.

Agreed. Would love Lubos to be an Assistant but I'm not sure Lottich is the long term coach for Valpo.

AP and Rowdy have plenty left in their playing career. I don't see Rowdy getting into college coaching right away/if ever after his playing career and having a young family. AP I definitely see getting into Coaching. He has openly stated after his playing days he wants to Coach, but AP hopefully will have a long playing career. He's playing in the top league in Europe right now. Recently came back from injury.

AP's brother Austin was a grad assistant at Valpo and is currently an assistant coach at Olivet Nazarene University (where he got his BA). I think Austin has a bright future.

https://www.onutigers.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Austin_Peters

VU2014

There is no chance Valpo would pay this much to have someone walk away.

https://twitter.com/coachesdatabase/status/1493338159782023172?s=21

VU2014

If Rodger doesn't get hired this cycle, and Lottich was fired after next season, I wonder if Roger Powell would accept the job to replace his former fellow Valpo Assistant.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1498294379907330059?s=21

oklahomamick

Interested to see what you guys think on this one.   

Bryce was dismissed from Vandy around the same time Lottich extended his contract. 

What are the percentage chances Bryce would have came back if timing was perfect? 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 28, 2022, 11:02:53 AM
Interested to see what you guys think on this one.   

Bryce was dismissed from Vandy around the same time Lottich extended his contract. 

What are the percentage chances Bryce would have came back if timing was perfect? 

ZERO.  Bryce made big money at Vandy and was in zero hurry to get a new gig.  Plus, after losing something like 20 in a row, to go back to Valpo would have looked like a kid running behind his mother's skirt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Unless Grand Canyon is in big trouble for some reason, it is nearly a perfect job for Bryce right now. I am sure they are paying him well. And yes, back to Valpo is a zero.

oklahomamick

Thought that if Bryce needed to resurrect his coaching career he could come back to place where he had a lot of success and show he can win again.  So I putting it at 30%.....But if more people are saying zero I guess I'm wrong and might be a little blinded by hope. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Bryce will never come back to coach for Valparaiso. Come on.

JD24

Put me in the no further Bryce Drew coaching at Valpo.

VU2014

There is no chance of Bryce coming back.

oklahomamick

Alright I am wrong.....

At least I can admit it. 

Some of you still believe in Lottich......
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Agreed, he will never come back.  He had a taste of the P5, was stung with the results, and will likely be trying to get back to that level to provide the results wrong.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 28, 2022, 11:02:53 AM

BTW, Jerry Stackhouse is 34-51 (and 12-38 in conference) since taking over for Bryce at Vanderbilt. The team has done "much" better this year - currently Vandy is eleventh in the SEC with two games left in the regular season. Of course, it also helps to have Scotty Pippen Jr. on the team. Wonder how much longer Stackhouse has before he gets fired...

AB

Stack will get at least one more year. Enormous buyout that Vandy won't eat.  SEC is really good this year top to bottom. Pippen jr, with out him, they'd have 4, 5 total wins. Vandy has shown improvement as season has gone on. Bryce won with Stallings recruits his first year and obviously didn't get a chance to prove himself longer. Shorter leash at P5's, plus the unexpected timing of Vandy AD retiring did Bryce no favors.

tjjvalpo

If I remember correctly Scottie Pippen Jr was a Bryce recruit. Plus his top recruit at Vandy got injured and everything went hell. Don't remember his name, but he left for the NBA. Unfortunate, but the new AD was very short cited.

JD24

Quote from: tjjvalpo on March 01, 2022, 09:38:13 PMIf I remember correctly Scottie Pippen Jr was a Bryce recruit. Plus his top recruit at Vandy got injured and everything went hell. Don't remember his name, but he left for the NBA. Unfortunate, but the new AD was very short cited.
Darius Garland.

valpopal

For those who recommend Valpo buy out Lottich's contract and hire a new coach, here is the current market price in the MVC:

[tweet]1500860488997089285[/tweet]

vu84v2

As he is coming from Ohio State, you can assume that Diebler would expect close to the same deal.