• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lunardi Bracketology Update

Started by Just Sayin, March 11, 2020, 09:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 09:48:30 AM
https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1237738064056922113/photo/1

I did a quick look and couldn't find UNI listed on any projected NCAA Tournament lists.  Am I missing something, do they even have a chance?

VUGrad1314

They're in the second tier The next 4 out of Lundardi's bracket. They need A LOT of help and even then I don't know...

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 11, 2020, 01:04:12 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 09:48:30 AMhttps://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1237738064056922113/photo/1
I did a quick look and couldn't find UNI listed on any projected NCAA Tournament lists.  Am I missing something, do they even have a chance?

I doubt it.

Was listening to Dicky V. yesterday calling a game and he specifically referred to Northern Iowa this year. He called for all mid-major teams around the country to get together and make a change to the way they decide who gets to make the dance. He essentially said that he thinks that the season champion in each conference should get an auto bid to the dance, not the winner of the conference tournament, who could get an auto bid to the NIT. He said it's shame that NI with 25 wins probably won't  make it this year. Look to the entire season and whole body of work of a team, not just one game they lost in the tournament. Makes good sense to me.

VUGrad1314

Let's be real though UNI didn't do themselves any favors.

They blew the West Virginia game.

They were average away from the McLeod Center

They could have played 13 games They chose to only play 12 OOC. You couldn't have taken an extra buy game with this team?

They wasted TWO OOC slots on non-D1s. They couldn't have started a series with an upper tier SOCON team or Murray\Belmont or NKU\Wright State or went out west to play a MWC\WCC school or take a buy game if necessary?

UNI underscheduled like St Mary's often did before and it cost them just as it's going to cost UNI. I hope they take this year as a lesson and come after it hard next year by scheduling better. St Mary's didn't win their auto bid but they're going to be fine NOT because they play Gonzaga but because they did what they needed to do to put together a challenging non conference slate and won most of those games.

We don't have the luxury of scheduling some BS in the non conference like non D1s and perennially bad teams and then relying on a couple of games and our conference schedule to save us. We need to get aggressive and fight for our existence as a multibid conference if that is what we want to be. It's not going to be handed to us as should be totally evident by now. St Mary's got the message and St Mary's got it done. UNI or any MVC team can too. They just have to do it. There are several venues in the area where you can play a P5 opponent on a neutral floor. Do it. Whatever it takes to put together an at large worthy schedule. UNI has an at large caliber team coming next year. Loyola has an at large caliber team next year. I would argue that Valpo and Indiana State have at large caliber teams next year. Bradley and Missouri State too. We just have to go get it done in the non-conference so that whoever wins in St Louis won't hurt somebody else who is in position.

covufan

Right now bracketmatrix.com is tracking 150 bracketologists. UNI is one of the first five out, with 11 bracketologists having UNI in their field. Not very likely for UNI unless Xavier, Stanford, Richmond, and Cincinnati all lose to lesser opponents in their conference tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Losing to Drake by 21 on a neutral court does not help your cause. And Dickie V has an interesting point but I like the final chance to make it opportunity.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2020, 08:12:58 PM
Losing to Drake by 21 on a neutral court does not help your cause. And Dickie V has an interesting point but I like the final chance to make it opportunity.

Kentucky lost to Evansville.
Duke lost to SFA.

usc4valpo

I would take SFA over UNI if the Jacks don't win the Southland.

VUGrad1314

I wouldn't. their schedule is all Q4.

UNI could have prevented this by winning more in St Louis yes but they could have further safeguarded themselves by scheduling better. To a fairly large degree it's on them, especially since they know it's already an uphill climb. Like I said I hope they learn from this and schedule better so that they can leave no doubt in the future regardless of what happens in St Louis.

usc4valpo

Ok, but 28-3 and a win at Duke has to count for something. Plus they have had tournament success and should've beat ND to reach the Sweet 16. They are very much an under appreciated program.

VUGrad1314

I agree but there is such a thing as a conference being too bad or a schedule being too soft and unfortunately I think SFA certainly qualifies.