• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Grand Canyon Coach Fired

Started by Just Sayin, March 13, 2020, 07:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Bryce Drew mentioned as possible replacement. I'm thinking he just might pass on that one.  :crazy:

usc4valpo

Actually, it is a program but lots of cash and potential. He may go for it. Will Bryce Drew get a better offer? Who knows.

valpotx

Already mentioned in the Bryce Drew thread
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 13, 2020, 02:20:25 PM
Actually, it is a program but lots of cash and potential. He may go for it. Will Bryce Drew get a better offer? Who knows.

Grand Canyon University is a complete fraud (see my post in the Bryce Drew thread).

VUGrad1314

I am quite sure that he will get a better offer than GCU if and when he is ready to go back to coaching. DePaul even in its current state would be a better offer.

usc4valpo

Disagree. GCU is growing in a dynamic city. DePaul - the other way around.

vu84v2

Nothing against Phoenix (the city). GCU is a complete fraud regardless of where it is located. Look at the CEO. Look at the CFO. Look at the faculty (if you can call it that).

Just Sayin

QuoteGrand Canyon received a lot of criticism for firing Majerle and for the timing of his dismissal amid coronavirus concerns throughout the country.
Majerle went 136-89 in his seven seasons with the Antelopes, but was just 13-17 this season.

Bryce's dream job for sure.

usc4valpo

In reality, the education being provided to Div. 1 men's basketball players is not much different than other schools. Do you really think the players at Duke are actually getting a real education?

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 15, 2020, 01:20:13 PM
In reality, the education being provided to Div. 1 men's basketball players is not much different than other schools. Do you really think the players at Duke are actually getting a real education?

First, to be an NCAA member you need to be an institution of higher learning. In my view, this means that one of your objectives cannot be providing financial returns to shareholders. That is Grand Canyon's primary reason for existence. If you do not believe that, consider that when they tried to go 'non-profit' they setup a for profit entity (Grand Canyon Enterprises) and a 'non-profit' entity (Grand Canyon University). GCU was required to purchase a huge set of services from GCE at GCE's set price. But this gets worse. GCE put much of their outstanding debt on GCU's books. If this sounds familiar, it should - that is what Enron did.  So I would add that a larger requirement for being an NCAA member is that you act in an ethical and responsible manner. I recognize that such judgements are very subjective...but Grand Canyon is way over the line. [note that I posted the detail on this, including the U.S. Dept of Education's rejection of their non-profit application, in a separate thread]

Regarding the real education comment...I know that some athletes don't seriously attend classes. But from my firsthand knowledge, when you consider all sports many more do seriously attend classes and complete degrees. Even in marquee sports (football, basketball), many more work to complete degrees than some might assume. I have a colleague that had two of the nation's best college basketball players in a management class last year and both of them attended every class (excluding absences for team travel) and were highly engaged. I have had multiple athletes from marquee sports in my own classes and in each case their work was of acceptable or better quality. So yes, I think that the vast majority of NCAA athletes are getting a real education.

usc4valpo

Yep, the Alabama and LSUs football programs are an academic bastion of excellence.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 13, 2020, 07:53:52 AM
Bryce Drew mentioned as possible replacement. I'm thinking he just might pass on that one.  :crazy: