• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coping with the Coronavirus - stories from the isolated

Started by valpo04, March 24, 2020, 06:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

I wanted to create a thread where we can share ideas, memes, stories, etc. to help us get through these isolating times. Let's keep it light; leave the politics, policies, and statistics out. As Jimmy Buffett once said "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

I'll start...

I've been teleworking since Thursday, March 12. My company was proactive and ran a test to ensure our infrastructure could support it. We are on mandatory telework until April 10th (at least) and schools have been closed since March 16 and will be until the end of this week (at least).

My family and I have been isolating as best as we can. There's lots of Disney+ streaming, and online educational games, but we try to get the girls outside each day to play and get some exercise since sports are canceled as well. It is a challenge to keep them 6 feet away from their friends, but we do our best. Me and my wife have been binging Schitt's Creek on Netflix, and attending "virtual happy hours" with the extended family via Zoom.  :cheers:

We've been eating every meal at home, but last night to break the monotony (and to support a local business), we did order delivery - I'm starting to feel bad for my dishwasher!

All in all, we are getting by and doing fine. We certainly know others have it a lot worse than us. To amuse myself, and since I am not going into the office, I decided to grow a beard. It also amuses my girls, but my wife hates it :-)

Between that and needing a haircut, it's going to be interesting look  ;)

Speaking of haircuts, here's a funny tweet I saw yesterday...

vu72

I would start by teaching the kids the Valpo Alma Mater followed by the Valpo fight song followed by learning the top 10 scorers in Valpo basketball history!  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015