• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Way to Fix the Tournament

Started by VUGrad1314, April 29, 2020, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

I think this would be a great way to give the mids a fair shake. There are always 4-8 mids on the bubble each year but they are far more likely to be left out than the 7th or 8th or more team from one of the privileged conferences. Fans always gripe and debate as to whether they would have been better than them on a neutral floor. I think we should have a way to settle it: I propose a mini tournament before the tournament, basically taking the first four and expanding it. Here's how it works: We open up the Last 4 Byes\Last 4 in etc. by opening up the final 8 spots of the tournament. 16 bubble teams gather at a neutral site. They are paired off so that eight games are played. The math is simple: You win, you get in. You lose, you're out and off to the NIT as one of the top 2 seeds (so you still get to host at least two NIT games). Imagine teams like Murray State Belmont UNCG Furman UNI Loyola Illinois St et al. playing the likes of Rutgers Indiana Oklahoma Syracuse etc. in a one off for a shot at the dance? It would be incredible TV and would settle every argument and gripe mid major fans might have. Because they can at least say they had a fair shot to get in and a spot in the at large pool was legitimately open to them. I think this would be an amazing thing for the tournament to do if we could get the NCAA to agree. I bet the networks would pick this up too and pay money just for the mini tournament as well. It's a total win win. How could more March Madness (and a legitimately fair shot for the little guy) be a bad thing?

bbtds

The controversy would just switch over to the next 4 teams or so that didn't get in to the play-in games. Also some would say that by having to beat a mid-major team in a play-in game that they shouldn't have had to play the major team was disadvantaged in the tournament. The majors want the power.

NotBryceDrew

I have had this idea for a while now and have yet to hear it brought up anywhere.

It's time for Scott Drew's 96 team expansion. You win conference tournament you are in the field of 64 everyone else gets an at large play-in in the round of 96.

As a way to help alleviate this year's cancellation every team that won their conference tournament last year gets and at large in next year's tournament guaranteed. Should you win again then you just take auto leaving at large for the next best team.