• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

RIP Former VU President Alan Harre

Started by valpopal, August 20, 2020, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I haven't seen any announcement yet, but I received a message today from a friend that a relative of former VU President Harre informed him Alan died this morning. Those of you who were on campus during his twenty-year term (1988-2008) will remember him and his wife at athletic events, especially basketball where his wife Diane always kept a scorebook. My favorite memory of Alan was at the famous "Miracle" home game in December of '88, where VU basketball beat a top-20 ranked Notre Dame in front of a packed ARC.  As usual, I was sitting a couple seats away from Alan, and at the final buzzer, as everyone was cheering and some were rushing the court, I reached over to shake his hand, saying that I wanted to be the first to congratulate him. Three years later Alan invited me to his office so that he would be the first to shake my hand when he informed me I had received tenure! He was a first-class gentleman.

78crusader

Alan Harre was a great President. Many people either don't know or have forgotten that he did not inherit a particularly good situation at VU when he arrived in 1988. Enrollment was down, finances were very tight, and our physical plant was aging - only 4 construction projects had been completed in the preceding 15 years (law school, ARC, business school, and a Neils addition). He was a tireless fundraiser. He once told me toward the end of his tenure that he had passed through 250 airports. He was a kind and generous man with a great spirit. He will be missed very much. Paul

valpospartan

The Harres moved in next door to us, when they came to Valpo.  More down to earth people you wouldn't find anywhere.  They were just good people.  Condolences to Diane and family and R.I.P. Alan.

valpotx

Sad to hear about this news.  Harre was a good President, and always down-to-Earth.  RIP.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Sad to hear it. I always enjoyed visiting with him.  He had been battling cancer for sometime and I had heard he entered hospice just last week. A very good President to be sure.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

My condolences to the Harre family. Alan Harre will go down in Valpo history as one of Valpo's greatest presidents. May the Lord welcome him as he joins the heavenly saints in glory.