• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Women vs Missouri St. 1pm at home

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 30, 2021, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Up 10-7, would be a great win against  #25 Missouri St. 3 minutes left in 1st, lots of game to be played obvi

justducky

Down 3 at half but playing well. For the most part we are getting makable shots and maybe we can stay close and fishish stronger. MSU is a very inside talented team.

justducky

We were well prepared but execution was only average resulting in a 10 point loss. The girls are good enough to beat Missouri St but more shots have to drop and bounces come our way.

I am loving the level of this MVC competition. An at large or 2 for the Valley is a real possibility.

justducky

I think I spotted both Molley Sheehan and Katie Beyer in the group huddle and a warm welcome to both. If you missed it they are just graduated and just enrolled mid season additions. Last time they suited up was HS and this time was vs a top 25 NCAA conference foe.  :o  Hope the transition goes smoothly.

justducky

Down 29-26 at halftime. No comment because I am not watching.

justducky

50-44 Valpo lead. You may want to switch over to girls basketball.

NativeCheesehead

Going to say this before the game is over: regardless of the outcome, what Mary Evans has done in such a short time here has been outstanding. While the men's program has essentially been stuck in neutral for the last four years, these women play smart and play tough every single game.

This is the Valpo basketball I'm used to.

Valpofamfan

justducky

bbtds

What's the score difference in the WBB game against MO ST?

Valpofamfan

Sign of good coaching: Missouri State goes full court press but Valpo knows exactly what to do and gets 3 3s in a row from the same spot.

63-56 Valpo

hailcrusaders

I only have bad things to say about the "advance the ball to half court after a timeout" rule. Leave that  :-X in the NBA.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

What a devastating way to lose. Never foul a three point shooter, folks. Too many turnovers down the stretch as well.

Proud of our effort though. Lady Crusaders have two B1G wins on the season and were mere seconds away from a third B1G win, and then nearly a T25 win today.
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

That call at the end of a close game sucked bad. Why do any players try to block a 3 attempt at the end of a game?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on January 31, 2021, 05:07:47 PMJust bone-headed...
Although Dunson is a grad transfer this may only be about her 40'th college game and she wasn't playing anywhere first semester. She has eligibility for this and next year so her upside potential is still enormous.

Big picture----We played a top 25 team and came within an eyelash.

valpopal

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 31, 2021, 04:59:07 PM
I only have bad things to say about the "advance the ball to half court after a timeout" rule. Leave that  :-X in the NBA.

Absolutely! This rule often penalizes good defense and always rewards a team for simply calling a timeout. I don't see any logic to it.

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on January 31, 2021, 05:17:45 PM
Big picture----We played a top 25 team and came within an eyelash.

I have always said it with the men's team and I will say it with the women's team: I don't believe in moral victories. As H.L. Mencken said: "a moral victory is always a disaster."

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on January 31, 2021, 05:29:16 PMI don't believe in moral victories. As H.L. Mencken said: "a moral victory is always a disaster."

My memories of reading Mencken are faded but clear enough to suspect that he may have been winking when he said this.  ;)

vu72

The shot was not effected. The ball hit high off the backboard. Still a mistake and heartbreaking for the kid. 

It is a tale of two programs with the guys laying an egg and the gals playing like champions.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 31, 2021, 05:04:17 PMProud of our effort though. Lady Crusaders have two B1G wins on the season and were mere seconds away from a third B1G win, and then nearly a T25 win today.
And despite this they are only 2-5 in MVC play.  :'(  :'(

Quote from: bbtds on January 31, 2021, 05:05:13 PMWhy do any players try to block a 3 attempt at the end of a game?

Yup, clearly boneheaded as evidenced by her graduating from Loyola in 3   ??? semesters (some of the reporting is unclear). How is that even possible?

Oops it took her 5 semesters but she did not play for Loyola first semester and I couldn't find evidence of her playing second semester last year either. So a grad transfer who has played about a year and a half of college basketball.

valpotx

You can be incredibly intelligent, and still make bone-headed athletic plays.  Academic IQ and athletic IQ, two different things...
"Don't mess with Texas"

ladybbfan

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2021, 06:01:32 PMThe shot was not effected. The ball hit high off the backboard. Still a mistake and heartbreaking for the kid. 

Actually the shot being wide right and hitting high off the backboard is an indication that the shot was affected in a major way  by the foul.  When a shooter is squared up 20 feet from the basket and the ball misses the basket by several feet, well that rarely happens especially when that shooter is an experienced, clutch guard.  The replay from behind the shooter clearly shows the lower arm of the shooter being contacted and pushed to the right.  Her arm position after the shot was considerably to the right and back not in a position that is anywhere near normal for a shooter. This coincides with the shot being wide right by a couple of feet and the lack of a follow through always sends the balls long as the fingers never end up on the top side of the ball which is when a shooter regulates the distance,  So the contact was pretty significant as evidenced by the wild trajectory of the ball, the immediate reaction to the contact by the shooter, the almost immediate raising of the arm by the official to signal the foul and the reaction of the fouler.  Believe me an official does not want to blow the whistle in that situation but given how obvious it was that there was contact and that the contact prevented the shot from being anywhere near the basket the call had to be made.

One does have to feel for the kid and Valpo.  You simply have to not foul in that situation.  A player like Calip may make a clutch shot like that but she is almost certainly going to make 2 or 3 free throws if you foul her .  If Valpo would have made the 2nd free throw then it would have been in much better position and might have even considered fouling prior to the shot so that only 2 shots would have been awarded.  Valpo gave it everything they had.  Valpo is a hard team to play because of their 5 out offense.  Missouri State is a legit Top 25 team as evidenced by their resume and especially by their win over Maryland.  But they are a team which any of about the top 7 teams in the MVC can beat on a given night if most everything goes just right.  The MVC is pretty good overall. Valpo almost did it.  KUDOs to them for their effort.

vu72

Quote from: ladybbfan on February 02, 2021, 02:47:02 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2021, 06:01:32 PMThe shot was not effected. The ball hit high off the backboard. Still a mistake and heartbreaking for the kid. 

Actually the shot being wide right and hitting high off the backboard is an indication that the shot was affected in a major way  by the foul.  When a shooter is squared up 20 feet from the basket and the ball misses the basket by several feet, well that rarely happens especially when that shooter is an experienced, clutch guard.  The replay from behind the shooter clearly shows the lower arm of the shooter being contacted and pushed to the right.  Her arm position after the shot was considerably to the right and back not in a position that is anywhere near normal for a shooter. This coincides with the shot being wide right by a couple of feet and the lack of a follow through always sends the balls long as the fingers never end up on the top side of the ball which is when a shooter regulates the distance,  So the contact was pretty significant as evidenced by the wild trajectory of the ball, the immediate reaction to the contact by the shooter, the almost immediate raising of the arm by the official to signal the foul and the reaction of the fouler.  Believe me an official does not want to blow the whistle in that situation but given how obvious it was that there was contact and that the contact prevented the shot from being anywhere near the basket the call had to be made.

One does have to feel for the kid and Valpo.  You simply have to not foul in that situation.  A player like Calip may make a clutch shot like that but she is almost certainly going to make 2 or 3 free throws if you foul her .  If Valpo would have made the 2nd free throw then it would have been in much better position and might have even considered fouling prior to the shot so that only 2 shots would have been awarded.  Valpo gave it everything they had.  Valpo is a hard team to play because of their 5 out offense.  Missouri State is a legit Top 25 team as evidenced by their resume and especially by their win over Maryland.  But they are a team which any of about the top 7 teams in the MVC can beat on a given night if most everything goes just right.  The MVC is pretty good overall. Valpo almost did it.  KUDOs to them for their effort.

I stand corrected and thanks for the detailed explanation. I was watching live and of course wasn't there.  My impression was that it was more of a "heave" than a shot and that is why I thought it wasn't affected.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Heartbreaking loss at the end.

I worked with Brice Calip's (player who made all 3 free throws at the end of the game to win) father at Booker T. Washington for several years.  His classroom was next door to mine.  Brad is in the college football hall fame too.  Hate that we lost but happy to see Brice step up in the clutch. 
CRUSADERS!!!