• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Drake @ Valpo: 2/6 & 2/7

Started by VU2014, February 06, 2021, 12:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Drake is Ranked in the Top 25 coming into this game. Maybe Valpo could steal a game against a Team currently on track to earn an at-large bid. Could be a 2 Bid Valley this year if Drake & Loyola keep it rolling.

Also look who is in the building! Rowdy is home!

https://twitter.com/valpo_hoops/status/1358118103662682112?s=21

VU2014

I think Drake takes game 1 and then We steal game #2 tomorrow

bbtds

We are very dependent on the three today and who has shot as many threes as any Valpo player, so far?  Daniel Sackey? OMG!!!

EDIT: Thank God Sackey stopped shooting the three and other Valpo players have.

Valpofamfan

Nice to see the underclassmen getting good playing time and people other than sackey getting a chance to play the point! Especially against a ranked team- great experience from them all

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

bbtds

Quote from: JBC1824 on February 06, 2021, 01:45:45 PM
Wheres Maleek?

Where's Goodnews?

Can Valpo sustain their first half shooting? Will they collapse like they did against Evansville. Drake has so many weapons including a deep bench. 

valpotx

Very cool that Rowdy made the trip.  Maybe it will spark a resurgence over the second half of the conference season
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

• Jacob 11 points in 7 minutes.
• Sheldon 11 points in 10 minutes.

Awesome performances, but if it takes a repeat of that in the 2nd half, we're in trouble. Hopefully, Ben and Donovan step up offensively.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on February 06, 2021, 01:47:42 PM
Quote from: JBC1824 on February 06, 2021, 01:45:45 PM
Wheres Maleek?

Where's Goodnews?

Can Valpo sustain their first half shooting? Will they collapse like they did against Evansville. Drake has so many weapons including a deep bench. 

Mileek played but we haven't seen Goodnews. Hopefully it's not a covid or an injury situation.

valpotx

Jacob is deadly accurate, but he needs to work on his release timing over the summer.  One of the announcers said that he has a quick release??  He has to be wide open, otherwise athletic defenders will block him each time, even if a few steps away.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofamfan

The only way we're going to win is if we stop making stupid quick shots. Our first half performance led me to believe we were over that but the last couple minutes suggest otherwise  :'(

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

We just leave too many points on the board in close games.

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on February 06, 2021, 02:26:54 PM
3 missed layups....WTF!!!!!!!!!
It really seems to me that we miss more layup opportunities than our opponents - just about every game. Frustrating. Really frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

wow...what a terrible shot, but it went in.  GREAT SHOT!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

What a blown opportunity.  Why would you leave Wilkins open ever?  Let him try to drive by going over the screen, don't go under, and give him a wide open 3...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

You need to foul here right away.  We are down by 3, and they can always just foul us with seconds remaining, and the game is over. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

What a stupid f'ing shot with 15 seconds left and down 4.  Seriously man, what the hell?  This is a game that we should have won.  Deeply disappointing
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofamfan

We played well - good intensity. BUT our youth showed in some poor decisions down the stretch. Still, I think our guys can hold their heads up high. I just hope we don't try to force it to much tomorrow and have our wheels come off.

On another note, if anyone has seen dexter clay's Twitter he is still not happy

AlaskaCrusader19

Close, but just not quite enough. Glad to see the team play hard after that Evansville series. I'd love to see Donovan Clay start to heat up a bit. Feels like he hasn't quite made the sophomore leap that Krikke has. Future may be bright, if Lottich can keep the roster together.

valpotx

Quote from: Valpofamfan on February 06, 2021, 02:55:01 PM
We played well - good intensity. BUT our youth showed in some poor decisions down the stretch. Still, I think our guys can hold their heads up high. I just hope we don't try to force it to much tomorrow and have our wheels come off.

On another note, if anyone has seen dexter clay's Twitter he is still not happy

Is he saying that JO should have been in?  He did get put in for defense for offense subs, when able to do so.  He is just way too slow for defensive possessions in tight games.

On the plus side, we had 19 assists to 5 turnovers.  I can't remember such a stat line for many years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

I've been really impressed by Edwards lately. Forces some shots but so do most freshmen. I think he's gonna take a huge step next season. He can really attack the basket and he always looks active on defense and focused when he's on the floor. He had a rough start to the season but he's had a really, really promising stretch that I think would've been a lot better if he was better acquainted with what his strengths are, which will come with time.

At the end of the day we have another game against a top 25 team tomorrow at 1. What bewilders me is how we come out and play like this against Purdue, Vanderbilt, and Drake; but then get swept by Evansville. This team clearly can play really good ball,  but chooses not to sometimes. It's not just shooting either. We shoot best when we are moving on offense and getting the RIGHT people the right shots. We are so stagnant most games and that is a choice. Today we were not stagnant and we played toe to toe with a top 25 team. Against Purdue we were not stagnant and we played toe to toe with a now top 25 team. But when we play lesser teams we stand around and have to force up bad shots with 5 on the shot clock. That's a choice. A defense can't force you to not move on offense. So what's the difference and how is it fixed?

valpopal

I'm with Dexter. JO had 11 points, 3 3-pointers, 2 rebounds, and a block in the first half with only 7 minutes of play, but he sits on the bench and gets no shots in the second half. I'd love to see him sometimes in the 4 slot and able to shoot from outside while Krikke is still in the game on the inside. I also don't want to hear compliments for the game being close. This game was a blown victory. Valpo did not score a point from 4:52 to 00:36, a more than 4-minute drought in the end of the game. Moral victories are for losers.