• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Southern Illinois 2/22 6 pm cst

Started by humbleopinion, February 22, 2021, 10:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

A one point victory yesterday with JO getting more minutes (and points) and Sackey out with injury.

Any changes for today's starting five?
Beamin' Beacons

M

wh

As others have mentioned, generally speaking we haven't performed well in the 2nd game of a back-to-back. In the UNI series specifically, they outworked us for 35 minutes. Let's hope we learned from that. This game is hugely important relative to tournament seeding. We can't give in to mental fatigue, or whatever is driving the game-2 swoons.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 22, 2021, 12:16:12 PMThis game is hugely important relative to tournament seeding.

If winning tonight helps us avoid playing 3 straight games with Indiana St then we should play like it is a matter of life or death! Unfortunately a win makes it more likely that this 3 game series happens.  :'(.   :'(  I know that we match up poorly with Missouri St but I don't care! I even think I'd prefer the 7 seed over 120 minutes against ISUb.  :o

vu84v2

Quote from: justducky on February 22, 2021, 02:27:40 PM
Quote from: wh on February 22, 2021, 12:16:12 PMThis game is hugely important relative to tournament seeding.

If winning tonight helps us avoid playing 3 straight games with Indiana St then we should play like it is a matter of life or death! Unfortunately a win makes it more likely that this 3 game series happens.  :'(.   :'(  I know that we match up poorly with Missouri St but I don't care! I even think I'd prefer the 7 seed over 120 minutes against ISUb.  :o

I would rather not play in the first round, despite the weird oddity of playing the same team three times in a row (that would be another first for Valpo basketball this season).

valpotx

I don't care about playing Missouri State again.  We were right there for much of both games, and our guys seem to understand their roles better now.  Prim and Mosely are awesome, however.
"Don't mess with Texas"

AlaskaCrusader19

Really need this one! I think this could be a great sweep for Valpo. Let's see if we can get it done. Hail Crusaders!

valpotx

The last 5 minutes of the first half, was the worst shooting by both teams, that I have seen in a long time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

9 points in the last 14 minutes. Zero points from Donovan, Eron and Zion. Zion did all his damage in the lane yesterday with short turnarounds. Tonight he's settling for jump shots. Donovan isn't getting in the lane, not even trying. Eron seems out of position. It's hard to understand why we can't correct anything in 14 minutes. Jacob who stepped up big last night 1 point.

We are at risk of getting blown out again.

Valpower

Loved Donovan's unselfish assist to Mileek from the perimeter. Not many players would pass up a wide open shot like that to pass to his teammates.  ;)

VUGrad1314

Looking like another egg in a gotta have it game which is unfortunately all too typical. Just gotta hope Drake beats Evansville which is dicey at the moment. Hope the Bulldogs can go on a run and pull away but it'll be hard without Penn going forward who was hurt last game and is apparently done for the season.

bbtds

Sorry guys, we aren't doing enough to win this game. It could possibly come down to the last few possessions but the Crusaders Valpo MBB team will not win this game.

Unless of course Krikke Clay Morgan & the Sheboygan Sharpshooter can keep teaming up inside.

AlaskaCrusader19

Valpo is just taking some really bad shots... Felt like once Sheldon took a 30 footer in the first half, the team just started putting up bad shots. SIU's dribble penetration is killing the defense.

valpotx

I try not to complain about refs, but SIU has 0 fouls through the first 14 minutes of the second half?  That is complete BS, with the amount of contact and pushing going on.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Every time I try to soften my stance on Lottich and start believing in him and his direction for the program the team comes out and does this... When does it end? When do we get back to winning again?

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 22, 2021, 07:30:00 PM
Every time I try to soften my stance on Lottich and start believing in him and his direction for the program the team comes out and does this... When does it end? When do we get back to winning again?

Take a walk around the block, it helps.  You need to remember that not only did we lose a bunch of folks heading into this year, but Barrett, Robinson, and now Sackey are out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Wow, the announcer really just said, 'triple k' for Krikke
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

The more things change the more they stay the same as another furious late rally falls short... At least Evansville lost too so our chances probably didn't change much of avoiding Thursday which is still good... We need Drake to sweep Bradley though and winning at least one against Indiana State would sure help a lot too...

nkvu

Don't know how we made the score as close as we did because we were seriously outplayed for most of the game. We played good for the first ten minutes and then not. I don't look for a run in the tournament this year because we can't seem to bring it two games in a row.

valpotx

We looked tired near the end of the first half, and for much of the second half.  Led to some shots we would rather not take in key situations, such as Zion taking shots just inside the 3 point line.  His mandate should be shots around the FT line or further in.  He basically throws a knuckleball at the basket from further away. 

If we sweep ISUb at home, I will be happy with the season, in having to play without Robinson and Barrett for a significant chunk of conference play.  I don't care if we get a 5 or 6 seed, as long as we avoid Thursday.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Krikke had 13 points and 5 field goals in the first 7:57 of the game, and Valpo had a 5-point lead, but he went the final 32:03 with 0 field goals! How does the offensive strategy go away from him for the last 80% of the game?  :crazy:

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on February 22, 2021, 07:57:45 PM
Krikke had 13 points and 5 field goals in the first 7:57 of the game, and Valpo had a 5-point lead, but he went the final 32:03 with 0 field goals! How does the offensive strategy go away from him for the last 80% of the game?  :crazy:

They started double-teaming him at that point, any time he touched it near the paint, with a third guy waiting down low, if needed.  They were daring us to shoot 3s, which is the right strategy against Valpo, as we are at the basketball version of the Mendoza line on the year
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

For defense and depth Sackey could have been an asset. Lorange looks 8 lbs heavier and when he took the floor I wasn't even certain who he was!  A healthy Mileek would also be a nice thing to have.

wh

I hope we finish the season  strong, but regardless I think the foundation is in place for a highly successful future for Valpo basketball. Next year's recruiting class includes 2 overpowering D-1 major-sized shooting guards and a great floor director PG. just what the doctor ordered to keep defenses honest and avoid the big scoring droughts. The future looks bright.