• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornonthe

Quote from: Pgmado on June 11, 2023, 02:52:20 PM
Quote from: NotBryceDrew on June 11, 2023, 02:21:52 PM
Not a single "boom" of his has been a boom... a boom is a 4-5 star or top player in the transfer portal.

Has Valpo ever signed a 4-5 star player? Has Valpo ever gotten a top player in the transfer portal? When you get the job in April and are forced to fill out a roster after 90 percent of the country has filled out theirs, I'd say any commit would be "boom."
Kenny Harris I'm pretty sure was a 4/5, pretty sure Antonio Falu as well, though I'm not sure about Burton...

David81

Coach Powell returns to VU knowing first-hand what blend of talent and athleticism is necessary to play consistently at the NCAA tourney level. Had he become the HC after Bryce left, he wouldn't have that experience and insight. While it's very likely that this first batch of recruits isn't at that level overall, I'm betting that he sees that next-level potential in at least a few of them. And for us, if they play hard, compete, and bring VU back into respectability, we'll notice.

VULB#62

FWIW, a bit more info on Weatherspoon according to Big Shots, a BB tracking site.

Interest/Offers:  Texas A&M, Maryland, Wagner, Jacksonville State, Appalachian State, Western Illinois, Mississippi Valley State, Boise State, Towson State, Cal State-Northridge, Hawaii [and now Valpo].

From highlights,  he looks like a PG who can penetrate AND hit the 3 —- That's been missing in the Valpo offense for a long time.

Chairback

Agree with WH, speed, athleticism, and size is a common theme.  No doubt about it.

I can't wait till the season starts.  A fresh new look, style, philosophy has me beyond excited.  I just love the enthusiasm and engagement this coaching staff has shown.   

And I love the Boom posts!! Coach Q keep it up. 

vufan75

Quote from: Chairback on June 12, 2023, 01:18:05 PM
Agree with WH, speed, athleticism, and size is a common theme.  No doubt about it.

I can't wait till the season starts.  A fresh new look, style, philosophy has me beyond excited.  I just love the enthusiasm and engagement this coaching staff has shown.   

And I love the Boom posts!! Coach Q keep it up.
Yes sir! Agree with your evaluation. I'm excited for this team and potential. Trying to not get too far over my ski's though. But will be fun to watch the young guys grow and continue improving. Fun time ahead I'm hoping.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Someone previously mentioned that it seems that when Roger selectively extends an offer to a recruit, they invariably wind up signing on with Valpo. We have no way of knowing how accurate this theory is, but, if true, we soon might be seeing a Weatherspoon tweet saying Committed! and soon after that a VUBB tweet saying Signed! 

That'll leave one slot.....  and another Boom! .... to go.

vok22

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 12, 2023, 01:46:45 PM
Someone previously mentioned that it seems that when Roger selectively extends an offer to a recruit, they invariably wind up signing on with Valpo. We have no way of knowing how accurate this theory is, but, if true, we soon might be seeing a Weatherspoon tweet saying Committed! and soon after that a VUBB tweet saying Signed! 

I believe I am the one who said that. I am just basing that on the fact I can only remember one guy that I saw is publicly  offer for the class of 2023 that hasn't committed (2 including weatherspoon, which I have a feeling will change soon. Don't have any advanced knowledge, just based on trends). There was also a comment by a recruiting website owner or coach who said "when Powell wants a guy, he usually gets them" or soemthing along those lines.

VULB#62

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/22159/sepp-becomes-latest-addition-to-valpo-mens-basketball/

From the above Valpo Athletics release on Sepp's signing I zeroed in on Roger's quote at the very end.

"I'm super excited about Kaspar," Powell said. "He has a great feel for the game of basketball. He brings an international pedigree and helps us continue the longstanding international pipeline at Valpo. He fits great within my system and is going to be an awesome addition to Valpo Basketball and the way that I want to play."

First:  He has a SYSTEM!!
Second:  He has a VISION for how the pieces work together.
Third:  This clearly demonstrates that he looks for a special kind of player that FITS into all this.

To me, this means roles will be clearly spelled out. There will be a single mindedness of purpose. And that the players and coaches will all be on the same page together. I think that's called coaching.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 12, 2023, 04:15:19 PM
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/22159/sepp-becomes-latest-addition-to-valpo-mens-basketball/

From the above Valpo Athletics release on Sepp's signing I zeroed in on Roger's quote at the very end.

"I'm super excited about Kaspar," Powell said. "He has a great feel for the game of basketball. He brings an international pedigree and helps us continue the longstanding international pipeline at Valpo. He fits great within my system and is going to be an awesome addition to Valpo Basketball and the way that I want to play."

Third:  This clearly demonstrates that he looks for a special kind of player that FITS into all this.

To me, this means roles will be clearly spelled out. There will be a single mindedness of purpose. And that the players and coaches will all be on the same page together. I think that's called coaching.

And all the players like playing defense!

"Defense is also important to me; I'm a guy who will do the dirty work."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 12, 2023, 04:15:19 PM

System + vision + fit + defined roles + singlemindedness = consistency, as opposed to this:

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1365467455561363461?s=20

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on June 12, 2023, 06:43:36 PMAnd all the players like playing defense!

I just realized that I don't know what the Roger Powell defense is? How will he assemble his underplayed transfers, rookie freshman and underwhelming holdovers into a team that can stop points from being scored? Come to think of it, I don't know what his offense will look like either.  ??? Could I be the dumbest guy on this board?  :o.  DON'T ANSWER!

VULB#62

Ducky, I will ignore your last appeal. 😀

Here is my take. Roger wants skilled, athletic and unselfish players.  If a kid says he likes D, that means he is a bruiser, a guy with a chip who gets upset if his man scores. Being a former college coach (not BB), that tells me that their drive to win anyway possible is greater than the drive to personally score. In other words, I see Roger assembling, at various positions, 12-13 much more skilled John Kisers as his team. How could anyone not love that concept and a team like that?

Hey, I'm  sitting 4 hours away, never met the guy, but vibes tell me that I should be confident that Roger can pull this all together in the very first year and make Valpo a respectable opponent in every game. 

To borrow from Ted Lasso:  BELIEVE.

valpo64

As I have already stated awhile ago, Powell's approach in recruiting is similar to that of Bobby Knight.  Knight wanted guys who were basketball smart, liked  to and wanted to play defense, and the player was recruited to fit roles that Knight had in his system.  Some of Knight's recruits were not always the most highly recruited, the highest scorers, or well known.  I too am anxious to see the season start and watch Roger's team progress and blend together.

vu72

Harry Schroeder of Valley Hoops, interviews Cooper Schwieger (you guys will love this!)

https://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/link-to-valpo/

Go to Valley Hoops Insider to hear the entire interview.  He and Edwards and others are already on campus!  Getting exciting!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

All of what we see as players or coaches saying this or that means a whole lot of nothing.

No kid who wants to be recruited is going to say anything remotely along the lines of they don't like playing defense. Every kid who's a potential recruit at any level is going to be instructed as to what to say and how to say it. "I love defense" is going to be amongst the first thoughts to include.

RS

Check out Coach Powell's twitter account ... new commitment ... Sherman Weatherspoon IV

chgovalpofan

I hope that Powell  saying his recruits like playing defense is backed by evidence and not just a player saying so.  You can tell the difference between the kids who know how to defend and those who are just shooters. 

I am really looking forward to watching this team come together.  I have heard that it is already night and day different than from before (in a good way).  Let's hope that translates to quality basketball this season.

vu72

valpopal

When I think of Coach Powell the past two months gradually recruiting players mostly with few other significant offers to come to the small program of Valparaiso with poor facilities and no real NIL money to present them, I imagine Yul Brynner giving a pitch as he assembles men in The Magnificent Seven.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 12, 2023, 01:46:45 PM

And only yesterday we were talking and.....................  just sayin  ::)

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on June 13, 2023, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on June 13, 2023, 05:41:31 PMhttps://twitter.com/spoon4x_/status/1668728215676788742
I think this kid may be the "boom" some of you were looking for!

This is the one signee that I see upside with a move to the next level. Kudos to Coach Powell on this signing. That doesn't mean I don't think the other guys can play just that what I see out of them I have no idea if they can play.