• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

As a betting man I would wager that his change of heart has far less to do with Matt than with the heightened interest that his senior season success has brought. He and we should keep looking forward.

AB

Roster will be influx until July. This is going to be a rollercoaster off season.

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 28, 2023, 04:21:35 PM
As a betting man I would wager that his change of heart has far less to do with Matt than with the heightened interest that his senior season success has brought. He and we should keep looking forward.

And let me add...if I were a betting man I would wager that his success has slick talking recruiters promoting NIL opportunities that Valpo could never compete with.

tiny707

First offer to Zane is Southern Indiana? Not power five and I assume limited NIL money.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on March 28, 2023, 07:32:44 PM
First offer to Zane is Southern Indiana? Not power five and I assume limited NIL money.

I loved him when he was one of us, but he turned his back and walked away. Can't say I blame him. Give me another day and I won't be able to remember his name.

valpopal

The apparent loss of Zane Doughty reminded me of another big center recruit and Indiana Mister Basketball runner-up who unfortunately never got a chance to show what he could do for the Crusaders, Kenny Harris, known as "Baby Shaq." He was an athletic 6'10" and 350 pounds with a surprisingly good mid-range shot in high school, and he was ranked nationally at #76. However, injury prone and because of a foot injury in his high school senior year, he entered VU as a freshman at over 400 pounds and played off the bench on a team that had Greg Tonagel as the point guard and a number of unusual characters as teammates.

Then he played a sophomore season during which he seemed to be getting back toward peak form, and everyone was looking forward to his junior and senior seasons. Homer had him work with trainers and a nutritionist to slowly make his way down to 310 pounds. Predictions were that he was going to be a Valpo legend but, as many may remember, in April of 2005 Kenny unfortunately collapsed during a supervised workout in the weight room and nearly died. In fact, at times his heart stopped and while in an almost month-long coma using a ventilator it was thought he might not live. But he had a miraculous recovery, and I remember seeing him attend a couple VU games afterwards.

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2023, 08:46:02 PM
The apparent loss of Zane Doughty reminded me of another big center recruit and Indiana Mister Basketball runner-up who unfortunately never got a chance to show what he could do for the Crusaders, Kenny Harris, known as "Baby Shaq." He was an athletic 6'10" and 350 pounds with a surprisingly good mid-range shot in high school, and he was ranked nationally at #76. However, injury prone and because of a foot injury in his high school senior year, he entered VU as a freshman at over 400 pounds and played off the bench on a team that had Greg Tonagel as the point guard and a number of unusual characters as teammates.

Then he played a sophomore season during which he seemed to be getting back toward peak form, and everyone was looking forward to his junior and senior seasons. Homer had him work with trainers and a nutritionist to slowly make his way down to 310 pounds. Predictions were that he was going to be a Valpo legend but, as many may remember, in April of 2005 Kenny unfortunately collapsed during a supervised workout in the weight room and nearly died. In fact, at times his heart stopped and while in an almost month-long coma using a ventilator it was thought he might not live. But he had a miraculous recovery, and I remember seeing him attend a couple VU games afterwards.

Kenny was great to interact with during workouts.  Bob Brooks had him doing running activities with us/the Baseball team many mornings.  It was sad to see what happened to him, as he did have a ton of potential.  Even Brad Daugherty commented on his soft touch during one of the televised games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: wh on March 28, 2023, 08:28:04 PM

I loved him when he was one of us, but he turned his back and walked away. Can't say I blame him. Give me another day and I won't be able to remember his name.

Remember who's name?   ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on March 29, 2023, 12:03:38 PM.  Even Brad Daugherty commented on his soft touch during one of the televised games.
Yeah but what would a NASCAR guy know about NCAA basketball?

tiny707

Bronny James is down to USC and Ohio State. Wonder if this recruitment is slowing down the Valpo hiring process with Jake Diebler?

David81

Quote from: tiny707 on April 05, 2023, 08:18:45 PM
Bronny James is down to USC and Ohio State. Wonder if this recruitment is slowing down the Valpo hiring process with Jake Diebler?

...I gotta think that salary is the biggest issue with Diebler. According to figures shared here, he's making a lot more than most MVC head coaches.

NativeCheesehead

If Diebler is a point of contact with Bronny I can promise you they will not let him leave.

IndyValpo

I honestly thought that he played his way to a bigger offer but so far it is USI, EKU, Ball State, Nicholas State and St Bonnie

David81

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 10, 2023, 08:51:50 AM
I honestly thought that he played his way to a bigger offer but so far it is USI, EKU, Ball State, Nicholas State and St Bonnie

I wonder how often kids change their mind because of a promising coaching hire like Powell. I don't know who approaches whom first, but VU suddenly looks like a pretty good option. Plus, Valpo has an overall track record of developing bigs who work hard and stay.

historyman

Quote from: David81 on April 10, 2023, 10:23:44 AM

I wonder how often kids change their mind because of a promising coaching hire like Powell. I don't know who approaches whom first, but VU suddenly looks like a pretty good option. Plus, Valpo has an overall track record of developing bigs who work hard and stay.

The honest truth is that someone like Krikke doesn't know Coach Powell from Adam and it is only through starting the whole recruiting process, other than facilities, over again that introduces the Powell style and credentials to Krikke. Remember there is some resentment on Krikke's part due to the firing of a coach he liked.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

You may be correct, historyman.  However if he chose, Ben would have many sources from which to pick that are currently in the Valpo "family" from which to glean info on our current/or potential staff situation and specifically on Roger  I find it hard to explain and understand that he at least would give an ear to the School that paid for his undergraduate education(and a good one too) and prepared him for as 5th season of playing college basketball.  But I guess that is today's college athlete.

chgovalpofan

Ben gave Valpo four great years to Valpo.  I have no issue with him wanting to try a different experience, especially when it is at a much higher level. It is Big Ten after all.   He is anything but the typical college athlete today.

David81

Quote from: historyman on April 10, 2023, 02:30:26 PM
Quote from: David81 on April 10, 2023, 10:23:44 AM

The honest truth is that someone like Krikke doesn't know Coach Powell from Adam and it is only through starting the whole recruiting process, other than facilities, over again that introduces the Powell style and credentials to Krikke. Remember there is some resentment on Krikke's part due to the firing of a coach he liked.

I was referring to Zane Doughty, not Ben Krikke, though when it comes to Zane knowing Coach Powell, the same thing could be said, too. However, unlike Ben with Iowa, Zane does not appear to be attracting interest from major programs. Hence a possible opportunity? I wonder if some within Zane's braintrust are looking at Valpo differently now.

wh

Good school. I wish him well.

valpo64

I'm disappointed that Zane didn't change his mind and return to VU.  I wonder if Roger had the chance to talk to him.  Perhaps Roger's game plan wasn't appealing to Zane.  In any event, let's move on!

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on April 16, 2023, 01:00:04 PM
I'm disappointed that Zane didn't change his mind and return to VU.  I wonder if Roger had the chance to talk to him.  Perhaps Roger's game plan wasn't appealing to Zane.  In any event, let's move on!

Based on the fast paced style of offense Roger described, I'm not sure he'd be a perfect fit. But there is always room for good players on the roster.

vu72

"Back to the basket" isn't shooting in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.  I understand that Joe is retiring because of medical issues and am also guessing that Emil moves on for playing style reasons as well. Lot's of spots to fill...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2023, 02:10:22 PM"Back to the basket" isn't shooting in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.  I understand that Joe is retiring because of medical issues and am also guessing that Emil moves on for playing style reasons as well. Lot's of spots to fill...
Gonzaga scored a lot of points with Timme in the lineup and playing back to basket but that's because he would get down the court and set up before the defense was set. Timme is unique in the first place and I have no idea how Doughty would fit in to that style of offense but it is a solid point that the skillset and stated offensive philosophy don't appear to be a match. I'm not sure Ben would be a fit as well.