• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

Quote from: justducky on April 28, 2023, 07:03:55 PM
I dreamed that our first recruit could be a home run instead of a bunt single but at least we now have a baserunner.   ;)

An Ashton Williamson signing would be a two run homer to drive him in now.

Pgmado

I dreamed that our first recruit could be a home run instead of a bunt single but at least we now have a baserunner.   ;)

This might be my favorite post I've ever seen on this site.

wh

I respect your knowledge of the game, so please take this as a legitimate question, and not a criticism.

Im not following your logic. Ola is the No.1 ranked player in his class in Canada. He is ranked higher than any Canadian recruit we've ever had, including Ben and Tevonn. If he's a bunt single, wouldn't that have made Ben and Tevonn - reached base on an error? HBP? Dropped 3rd strike?

RS

wh .... Ola is not from Canada. That was David Simon who signed with San Diego. OLA IS A Chicago kid who played one year at Central Michigan

wh

Quote from: RS on April 28, 2023, 09:25:48 PM
wh .... Ola is not from Canada. That was David Simon who signed with San Diego. OLA IS A Chicago kid who played one year at Central Michigan

Well, that's embarrassing lol

David81

Re: Ola Ojiboye. A promising genuine PF with 3 years remaining is a good start, and the fact that he took VU's late-in-the-process offer over many other suitors says something about Coach Powell's recruiting pitch.

humbleopinion

Quote from: David81 on April 29, 2023, 12:02:35 AM
Re: Ola Ojiboye. A promising genuine PF with 3 years remaining is a good start, and the fact that he took VU's late-in-the-process offer over many other suitors says something about Coach Powell's recruiting pitch.

I see that other schools showed interest, but was Valpo the only school that actually offered?
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

I think it's fair to assume that the entire basketball coaching staff is out recruiting their a$$es off.  Good!

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 29, 2023, 02:41:28 PM
I think it's fair to assume that the entire basketball coaching staff is out recruiting their a$$es off.  Good!

I expect them to come back from recruiting without a bit of milk smell at all. They should all be dairy-air-less.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vok22

The more I think about it, the more I think landing Ashton Williamson would be monumental for Valpo. From Paul's article this morning about Ajiboye, it sounds like Ola was really impressed by Powell on the visit, and I hope he was just as convincing when Ashton visited.

For starters, reestablishing the region as a recruiting target would have compounding benefits. We have missed out on too much talent close to home lately. Not only are we missing out on some really good players, but also the attendance boost that would come with them. If we want to establish ourselves as the regions team and have locals come out to the games, we have to have some region players (and win games). More good local players --> more region people coming out to the games --> more money to invest back into the program.

He's also just really good. Was ranked as an ESPN top 100 recruit at one point. Still ranked as a 3 star recruit, and even 4 stars by some sites. He plays hard on defense, distributes the ball, and can score. Perfect for a faced paced and defensively intense gameplan like Powell's. The fact we got him to come on a visit really boosts my hopes of him committing.

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

Pgmado

Quote from: vok22 on April 30, 2023, 02:59:21 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think landing Ashton Williamson would be monumental for Valpo. From Paul's article this morning about Ajiboye, it sounds like Ola was really impressed by Powell on the visit, and I hope he was just as convincing when Ashton visited.

For starters, reestablishing the region as a recruiting target would have compounding benefits. We have missed out on too much talent close to home lately. Not only are we missing out on some really good players, but also the attendance boost that would come with them. If we want to establish ourselves as the regions team and have locals come out to the games, we have to have some region players (and win games). More good local players --> more region people coming out to the games --> more money to invest back into the program.

He's also just really good. Was ranked as an ESPN top 100 recruit at one point. Still ranked as a 3 star recruit, and even 4 stars by some sites. He plays hard on defense, distributes the ball, and can score. Perfect for a faced paced and defensively intense gameplan like Powell's. The fact we got him to come on a visit really boosts my hopes of him committing.

Wouldn't be shocked if Ashton ends up going prep this year. Valpo could be possibility in the future.

valpo64

Where did Scroggins go to school prior to Bosco?

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on April 30, 2023, 08:05:56 PM
Where did Scroggins go to school prior to Bosco?
Hylton High in Woodbridge, Virginia: averaged 15 pts. and 8 rebs. as a senior in 21-22.

vok22

I've been surprised at the lack of information on transfer recruiting. At first I just assumed they aren't leaking any info. Now, the past week we have offered or had visits from 3 or 4 high school seniors/juniors and that word has gotten out. I'm sure we are reaching out to some transfers but I haven't heard anything.

VU2014

Valpo has been extremely involved in the recruitment and scouting of Don Bosco Prep in recent weeks.

Wouldn't shock me if we landed another recruit from there in the near future.

https://twitter.com/donboscohoops/status/1653504454392533011?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

tiny707

Lucas Scroggins offered today by Central Michigan.

VULB#62

Don't we usually kick CMU butt?

Just Sayin

Powell gets commits from these 5 players:

vok22

Based on Paul Oren and new Valpo Staff member Quintin Garrisons Twitter feeds, I feel like we might be getting some good news soon. Could be unrelated, but seems like it could be something. 

crusader05

Yeah feel like we might have two new recruits coming down the pipeline soon.

AB

Later start in the recruiting season, but I get it, get the staff in place first. Will have better luck with the 2024 incoming freshman etc. Doubtful we land lesser talent than the last few years with the transfer portal, even though they are scrambling to make up the ground to fill the roster this year. Correct me if I am wrong, but maybe only half the college players that enter the portal go somewhere else. Anyone have a stat on that?

valpopal

Jeremiah Williams, who was at one time slotted to be the starting point guard at Iowa State and once had an offer from Valpo when he was at Simeon HS in Chicago, has entered the transfer portal after missing a year with an achilles tendon injury. He averaged 9.5 points and 4.3 assists at Temple in 21-22 before transferring to Iowa St. but never played for ISU.