• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I understand Valpo has offered Kaspar Sepp:

valpo64

Who is Kaspar Sepp?  From where?  Size?  Position?  Transfer?

VUBBFan

The kid (Kaspar) looks good on tape and has decent size 6'7". Seems to be flying under the radar as he has no profile or mention on Verbal Commits.

valpopal

Sepp's coach, Rod Wilmont, was a teammate of AJ Moye at Indiana.

wh

Somewhere along the way, I've lost track of player count. Does anyone know? Returning? 2023 freshman commits? JC and portal commits? Players offered but yet to commit? Thx!

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 07, 2023, 02:57:36 PM
Somewhere along the way, I've lost track of player count. Does anyone know? Returning? 2023 freshman commits? JC and portal commits? Players offered but yet to commit? Thx!

Four returning scholarship players, two signed and committed incoming freshman and two new committed transfers, leaving five scholarships to fill.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 07, 2023, 09:27:23 AMThe kid (Kaspar) looks good on tape and has decent size 6'7". Seems to be flying under the radar as he has no profile or mention on Verbal Commits.
Also doesn't seem to have gotten a whole lot of playing time.

David81

Quote from: vu72 on May 07, 2023, 03:20:23 PM
Quote from: wh on May 07, 2023, 02:57:36 PM

Four returning scholarship players, two signed and committed incoming freshman and two new committed transfers, leaving five scholarships to fill.

I would love for VU to hit a surprise jackpot with a few of these players for 2023-24, but hopefully they'll have a lot of available scholarship positions to fill for 2024-25 -- as in 4-5 spots -- when this coaching staff will have a fuller recruiting cycle and a real chance to show its stuff.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 06, 2023, 06:16:46 PM
Quick reaction, nothing more:  We need to get past this. Everything being alluded to in the last few posts was a direct product of a failed coaching approach, system and some players all of which have been completely replaced. That was then. This is now. Like Roger, we gotta focus forward, not in the past. Go Beacons. See the Light. Woof, woof!  ;D

Here's one more knock on the past regime that I'm not willing to let go unnoticed. Valpo's most current Academic Progress Rate (APR) is the 3rd worst in the MVC:

2021-2022
1000 Belmont
1000 Drake
990 Bradley
986 N. Iowa
984 SIU
976 MO State
972 IL State
969 Murray State
958 IN State
952 Valpo (just as bad the year before)
949 UIC
918 Evansville

Obviously, players have not been held to account in the classroom. I can just imagine Luke Gore's response, "Academics is hard."

By the way, Valpo was tops in the MVC in total sports APR (despite the crap men's bb number). Not a Valpo problem, just another Lottich/Gore failure.

valpo64

Please, can we forget the Lottich/Gore thiing and move on...it's over, it's done just like the Drew era.

wh

I think it's important to understand the full extent of the mess that Lottich and Gore left, not just on the court, but in the classroom. Let me share another, while I'm at it. Re-establishing the electric game time atmosphere at the ARC that Roger was accustomed as an assistant under Bryce is going to take more than winning. It's going to take a reenergized, fully engaged athletic department. Hopefully, the recent personnel changes made by the AD weeded out the slugs and the Peter Principle poster children.

I'm getting closer to moving on, but there may still be other sleepy-eyed stage hands that need a wake-up call.

valpo64

OK wh, I understand.  I'm with you.  I think we all can relax a bit because I believe the new Coaching staff, optomistic outlook and an attitude change supported by the University will bring a whole new  MBB game experience.  I think that will also include what happens on the floor, regardless of our won/loss record.

David81

Quote from: wh on May 07, 2023, 05:22:19 PM
Quick reaction, nothing more:  We need to get past this. Everything being alluded to in the last few posts was a direct product of a failed coaching approach, system and some players all of which have been completely replaced. That was then. This is now. Like Roger, we gotta focus forward, not in the past. Go Beacons. See the Light. Woof, woof!  ;D

Here's one more knock on the past regime that I'm not willing to let go unnoticed. Valpo's most current Academic Progress Rate (APR) is the 3rd worst in the MVC:

2021-2022
1000 Belmont
1000 Drake
990 Bradley
986 N. Iowa
984 SIU
976 MO State
972 IL State
969 Murray State
958 IN State
949 UIC
918 Evansville

Obviously, players have not been held to account in the classroom. I can just imagine Luke Gore's response, "Academics is hard."

By the way, Valpo was tops in the MVC in total sports APR (despite the crap men's bb number). Not a Valpo problem, just another Lottich/Gore failure.

Yes, this is worth noting, especially the contrast to VU's overall academic performance. I know that with the football team, even with the not-so-great W-L records, the team's academic performance has often been a positive one. Obviously I'd rather VU be on top on both measures, but given the long-term goals for these young folks, I'm happiest when the academics are strong.

There's a lot to improve on here, and I think VU now has the pieces in place to reverse direction.

valpopal

Valpo has offered junior college guard Nasir Mann:

wh

Gainesville Native and Standout Santa Fe Guard, Nasir Mann, Is Next Up

https://www.wruf.com/headlines/2022/12/08/gainesville-native-and-standout-santa-fe-guard-nasir-mann-is-next-up/

Another big, athletic guard that can shoot the 3. Perfect for the Gonzaga 10-second offense. If Roger lands everybody with offers, this could be a dangerous team from day-1. I'm loving JC, BTW. An abundance of talented players.

JD24

Nasir Mann is Tre Mann's brother. Former Florida Gator and I think he's with the NBA Thunder.

VUGrad1314

I'm sorry but the APR thing is a huge indictment of Lottich. Not only were they not getting it done on the court they weren't getting it done in the classroom either and that is absolutely not acceptable at a school like Valpo. Hopefully Powell gets Valpo back up to the standards we are used to seeing both on the court and off.

wh

Quote from: David81 on May 07, 2023, 09:59:32 PM
Quote from: wh on May 07, 2023, 05:22:19 PM

2021-2022
1000 Belmont
1000 Drake
990 Bradley
986 N. Iowa
984 SIU
976 MO State
972 IL State
969 Murray State
958 IN State
949 UIC
918 Evansville

Yes, this is worth noting, especially the contrast to VU's overall academic performance. I know that with the football team, even with the not-so-great W-L records, the team's academic performance has often been a positive one. Obviously I'd rather VU be on top on both measures, but given the long-term goals for these young folks, I'm happiest when the academics are strong.

There's a lot to improve on here, and I think VU now has the pieces in place to reverse direction.

I absolutely agree. I should have taken the time to commend all the other athletic programs for outstanding academic achievement. Tops in the MVC!

VU2014

Just a gut feeling, but I like our chance to land a commitment from Kasper. A very under the radar player.

https://twitter.com/kasparsepp21/status/1652265086453440512?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 07, 2023, 11:10:17 PM
I'm sorry but the APR thing is a huge indictment of Lottich. Not only were they not getting it done on the court they weren't getting it done in the classroom either and that is absolutely not acceptable at a school like Valpo. Hopefully Powell gets Valpo back up to the standards we are used to seeing both on the court and off.

I agree that it doesn't reflect well on Lottich, but it can't be easy to maintain a strong APR when your roster turns over as much as Valpo's did over the last few years. A big part of APR is progress towards a degree, and if not all credits transfer from previous institutions, then the APR will take a negative hit.

wh

Isaiah Stafford #24 G John A. Logan

GP 35
PTS/G 12.5
FG % 50.6
3PT % 45.7
FT % 73.5
REB/G 4.0

• 45.7% is better than anyone in the MVC this year.
• Valpo's best 3-pt shooters:
Barrett 26th
Nelson 35th

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on May 08, 2023, 08:42:00 AM

GP 35
PTS/G 12.5
FG % 50.6
3PT % 45.7
FT % 73.5
REB/G 4.0

Barrett 26th
Nelson 35th

Probably drops at least 10% at the D1 level, but 35% is better than 25%

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 08, 2023, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: wh on May 08, 2023, 08:42:00 AM

GP 35
PTS/G 12.5
FG % 50.6
3PT % 45.7
FT % 73.5
REB/G 4.0

Barrett 26th
Nelson 35th

I'm trying to understand your point. I completely get the falloff from high school to college. The 3-point arc is a foot farther out, opposing players are faster, stronger and more physical, there are fewer uncontested 3's, players need to work off of picks and screens to get open, quicker release times are paramount, etc. Other than possibly more defensive intensity at D-1 than JC (if that's even true), I can't think of any other significant differences. The premier JC programs are well coached in every aspect of the game. Unlike generally less athletic D-2/D-3/NAIA players, generally JC players have D-1-level athleticism, speed, and physicality.

I'm not trying to understate the difference, but it shouldn't be overstated either. What am I missing?

JD24

Quote from: wh on May 08, 2023, 12:15:34 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 08, 2023, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: wh on May 08, 2023, 08:42:00 AMIsaiah Stafford #24 G John A. Logan GP 35 PTS/G 12.5 FG % 50.6 3PT % 45.7 FT % 73.5 REB/G 4.0 • 45.7% is better than anyone in the MVC this year. • Valpo's best 3-pt shooters: Barrett 26th Nelson 35th
I'm trying to understand your point. I completely get the falloff from high school to college. The 3-point arc is a foot farther out, opposing players are faster, stronger and more physical, there are fewer uncontested 3's, players need to work off of picks and screens to get open, quicker release times are paramount, etc. Other than possibly more defensive intensity at D-1 than JC (if that's even true), I can't think of any other significant differences. The premier JC programs are well coached in every aspect of the game. Unlike generally less athletic D-2/D-3/NAIA players, generally JC players have D-1-level athleticism, speed, and physicality. I'm not trying to understate the difference, but it shouldn't be overstated either. What am I missing?
I think 10% is probably too high of a difference but there is a difference. There were 40 Div I players who had a 3pt shooting pct of 40% or higher. Three times that many at NJCAA but the cluster was closer to 40%. Those at or around the 40th player at the NJCAA level were at about 43%. So I'd expect that it's possible that Stafford could still be in the area of 40% for Valpo and, of course, that all depends on his usage. Scary thing is he wasn't the best shooter on the team.