• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

64, I believe AB was referring to the coach at Indiana State.

valpo64

VULB#62

I read Paul's article on '23 commit Cooper Schwieger.  Great capsule. 

But reading it and a number of his others, I am seeing a theme here. Every kid's quotes focus on, in no particular order, team, unselfish, whatever it takes, work harder, just winning, yaddah, yaddah — No me this or me that. Roger is finding and attracting  kids who epitomize the "I want to be coached to be the best WE can be."  He's also signing kids who possess a faith component. The combination of the two sets of values points to kids who want to stick around to finish what they are starting. This is gonna be a fun ride.

And here's another thing. A couple of kids made their first on-campus visit and almost immediately commited.  What's with that???

Something's happening.

vok22

I have to say, after reading the piece on Schweiger I am REALLY getting excited for Valpo basketball again. It is clear to me this coaching staff has a vision, a plan to execute that vision, and is following that plan. Can't wait to see the team play together.

JD24

Keep in mind that Schwieger is a prep school attendee and had received no other offers that I could find. Hopefully he's a diamond in the rough but it's not like Valpo beat out a bunch of other same level schools to get this guy.

vok22

Quote from: JD24 on May 19, 2023, 09:00:55 PM
Keep in mind that Schwieger is a prep school attendee and had received no other offers that I could find. Hopefully he's a diamond in the rough but it's not like Valpo beat out a bunch of other same level schools to get this guy.

True, but in the article it explains why. His  coach said the power 5 schools are going after transfers instead of high schoolers in todays day an age. Was also showed interest by two very very good programs and that the article details. Mid major programs have to find diamonds in the rough to build programs. If power 5 programs knew how good the Loyola players and coaches were from their run in the late 2010s before it happened, they would've recruited those players and signed those coaches too. How do you think Loyola ended up with the players they ended up with? Certainly not by beating out blue bloods recruiting them.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on May 19, 2023, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: JD24 on May 19, 2023, 09:00:55 PMKeep in mind that Schwieger is a prep school attendee and had received no other offers that I could find. Hopefully he's a diamond in the rough but it's not like Valpo beat out a bunch of other same level schools to get this guy.
True, but in the article it explains why. His  coach said the power 5 schools are going after transfers instead of high schoolers in todays day an age. Was also showed interest by two very very good programs and that the article details. Mid major programs have to find diamonds in the rough to build programs. If power 5 programs knew how good the Loyola players and coaches were from their run in the late 2010s before it happened, they would've recruited those players and signed those coaches too. How do you think Loyola ended up with the players they ended up with? Certainly not by beating out blue bloods recruiting them.
I'm not referring to beating out bluebloods. How about other MVC schools or lower? He may end up being a diamond in the rough but I'm not sure about the gee whiz for him at this point.

valporun

It looks like Powell and crew are building for the next 4 years, not the next tomorrows. He's looking along the same path of recruiting that Gonzaga has always taken. Recruiting players that will work together and build each other, not just a kid with numbers that forgets there are 5 guys on the floor that can do something with the ball, instead of just him needing his numbers for draft status a year from now. Powell isn't going to recruit for today or tomorrow, he's recruiting for kids that are coachable, will learn more, and will also graduate knowing they were the epitome of "student athlete". I'm not going to sit here and gloat about the recruiting class on a daily basis. I'm going to wait until this team is on the court playing games in November and December, developing themselves into the roster for the first 4 years of the Roger Powell Experience.

valpo64

One might remember that Bob Knight was very meticulous in his recruiting.  He often took players that were not necessarily the highest rated coming out of high school along with some top rated guys who he felt had the qualities to work together to make a good team.  He recruited players who were hard workers, of good character, played good defense, fitted to a specific position or offense, and team oriented.  He was very loyal to his players and they felt the same way towards him.  Yes, there were some exceptions but in general that was the "setting".  It is the type of player being recruited that makes the difference and it looks like Coach Powell is heading in that same direction.  Quality kids who are committed.  So far...so good.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 19, 2023, 07:52:13 PMAnd here's another thing. A couple of kids made their first on-campus visit and almost immediately commited.  What's with that???

It's the basketball facilities and arena! Or maybe, the food at the Union!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

Quote from: JD24 on May 19, 2023, 11:57:49 PM
Quote from: vok22 on May 19, 2023, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: JD24 on May 19, 2023, 09:00:55 PMKeep in mind that Schwieger is a prep school attendee and had received no other offers that I could find. Hopefully he's a diamond in the rough but it's not like Valpo beat out a bunch of other same level schools to get this guy.
I'm not referring to beating out bluebloods. How about other MVC schools or lower? He may end up being a diamond in the rough but I'm not sure about the gee whiz for him at this point.

I am not sure if you are a subscriber to the Victory Bell, but the teams listed in the article as showing interest in him are some very good mid major programs. Hadn't offered him yet, and maybe they weren't going to, but I have to imagine if schools like that were showing interest then there must be something there. I do agree, however, that it is hard to judge a lot of these guys due to lack of info.

vu72

Quote from: vok22 on May 20, 2023, 08:06:52 AMI am not sure if you are a subscriber to the Victory Bell, but the teams listed in the article as showing interest in him are some very good mid major programs. Hadn't offered him yet, and maybe they weren't going to, but I have to imagine if schools like that were showing interest then there must be something there. I do agree, however, that it is hard to judge a lot of these guys due to lack of info.

I found the quote from his coach very interesting when he said that in the past he has had 11 or 12 kids on his team who all ended up with D1 scholarships.  further he said that this team was one of his best yet only 5 D1 offers.  The reason he offered was that high school kids are getting overlooked because coaches are filling their rosters with transfers.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: vu72 on May 20, 2023, 08:19:33 AM
Quote from: vok22 on May 20, 2023, 08:06:52 AMI am not sure if you are a subscriber to the Victory Bell, but the teams listed in the article as showing interest in him are some very good mid major programs. Hadn't offered him yet, and maybe they weren't going to, but I have to imagine if schools like that were showing interest then there must be something there. I do agree, however, that it is hard to judge a lot of these guys due to lack of info.

I found the quote from his coach very interesting when he said that in the past he has had 11 or 12 kids on his team who all ended up with D1 scholarships.  further he said that this team was one of his best yet only 5 D1 offers.  The reason he offered was that high school kids are getting overlooked because coaches are filling their rosters with transfers.

Unfortunately I think this attitude makes a certain amount of sense. Five and even four star high school kids will always be recruited.  But why should a P5 school  chase three and lower star high school kids when all they have to do is wait a year or two for the ones who break out a bit to be available to transfer. Let the non-P5 schools get them through the transition from high school to college, get coached up, and let their bodies mature.  Then they can pick up a more seasoned player for a couple of years. Rinse and repeat.  Makes it tough on fans who enjoy watching a kid or a group of kids grow through their college experience, but this is the world we live in now. I'm afraid that in many cases the only kids that will stay at one school for their entire college career will be the one's who recognize that this is their level of ability and are satisfied with it. Kind of limits a non- P5 school's potential to excel. I hope Valpo can be the exception.

valpopal

Quote from: nkvu on May 20, 2023, 10:52:10 AM
I'm afraid that in many cases the only kids that will stay at one school for their entire college career will be the one's who recognize that this is their level of ability and are satisfied with it. Kind of limits a non- P5 school's potential to excel. I hope Valpo can be the exception.
True. This is even more apparent in a system with immediate eligibility upon transfer and competition for NIL money. The exception would be Gonzaga, a mid-major that is no longer regarded as a mid-major by most because of their track record of success it created over time. This school should be the role model for Valparaiso, and if anyone can do it, here is hoping Coach Powell will be the right person for the job with his knowledge and experience in the Gonzaga program.

SanityLost17

My thoughts on recruiting........

There is a SURPLUS of basketball talent (athletes) in the world.   Athletic ability and basketball potential is abundant.   Now more than ever.   

Coaches who are smart in enough to recruit the talent, fit the talent together in a meaningful way, motivate the talent, develop the talent, and have a basketball mind capable of running and effective offense and defense with the talent.......... RARE..... 

There are lots of kids in the world that can play ball.    Coaches who can legitimately coach are at a premium.

Let's hope we have one of those coaches.   

AlaskaCrusader19

Valpo needs bodies at this point. This early in Powell's tenure, it's absolutely worth it to take a flyer on a guy like Schweiger who isn't highly recruited. In the long run, though, acquiring talent to compete with the top schools in the Valley is going to be a "must"

VUGrad1314

We'll get there. I really believe in the talent of this roster. I also believe that Powell knows what he's looking for and knows when he's got it when he sees it. Then again I may be so beaten down by how awful Lottich's tenure was I'm willing to believe anything at this point just because Matt is no longer at the helm.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2023, 11:11:07 AM
We'll get there. I really believe in the talent of this roster. I also believe that Powell knows what he's looking for and knows when he's got it when he sees it. Then again I may be so beaten down by how awful Lottich's tenure was I'm willing to believe anything at this point just because Matt is no longer at the helm.

I'm finding myself asking this same question. I never was the greatest judge of incoming talent so sensing how 23-24 and 24-25 play out is more a leap of faith that Roger is in and Matt is out.

JD24

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on May 22, 2023, 08:18:49 AMValpo needs bodies at this point. This early in Powell's tenure, it's absolutely worth it to take a flyer on a guy like Schweiger who isn't highly recruited. In the long run, though, acquiring talent to compete with the top schools in the Valley is going to be a "must"
It absolutely is worth the shot. Its the oohing and ahhing about him and perhaps some others I find a bit much. I understand the faith (or hope) in Roger Powell being able to pick out 15 guys for a roster but we know little about any of these guys and nothing that's been shown has been overwhelmingly good to the point that the commitments deserve a ton of praise.

I still like the Canadian guy the most and he's not a Powell guy.

mj

I think we'll really see the value of good coaching this year. Remember Ray McCallum's Detroit teams? Ton of talent but no teamwork. So they never lived up to their expectations.

I think Roger and his staff can build a cohesive unit that will play above their talent level. He's bringing hope back to the program, which is all we can ask for at this point.
I believe that we will win.

vu72

What we do know, via video, is that the players coming in are very athletic.  That plays well into Roger's stated objective of playing fast.  We will see a lot of fast breaks and quick shots, so at a minimum it will be exciting.  Beats the heck out of the last few years.

vufan75

Quote from: vu72 on May 22, 2023, 01:34:50 PM
What we do know, via video, is that the players coming in are very athletic.  That plays well into Roger's stated objective of playing fast.  We will see a lot of fast breaks and quick shots, so at a minimum it will be exciting.  Beats the heck out of the last few years.
Agreed. In recent past we seemed to recruit players who we then tried to fit in some type of system. Now we have a system Coach talked about, and are recruiting players hopefully with skillsets to play in that system. This approach makes sense, and hoping we can have the similar quick success as say the Sycamores have recently had in the MVC after a coaching and philosophy change.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tiny707

We had one first team MVC player and still finished in 10th place and got blown out by Murray State at Arch Madness with a coach in his 7th year. I think we will see improvement, player development and a system in place. Nice to get players from other places besides the state of Wisconsin.

Pgmado

Quote from: tiny707 on May 22, 2023, 02:11:48 PM
We had one first team MVC player and still finished in 10th place and got blown out by Murray State at Arch Madness with a coach in his 7th year. I think we will see improvement, player development and a system in place. Nice to get players from other places besides the state of Wisconsin.

I will not stand for any slander concerning Wisconsin.

All you need is (Jordan) Love.

Chairback

I'm sure there are European bigs out there that are available. Historically we've seen some show up in the summer at Valpo.