• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

Just a question--is Kobe King eligible to play in the 2 exhibition games before the regular season starts? And I remember hearing he would have to sit out 9 or so games to start the regular season, but also remember hearing he won't be allowed to play until the second semester. Does anybody know which one is accurate because that is a big difference in terms of amount of games.

wh

Quote from: vok22 on October 08, 2021, 10:52:19 AM
Just a question--is Kobe King eligible to play in the 2 exhibition games before the regular season starts? And I remember hearing he would have to sit out 9 or so games to start the regular season, but also remember hearing he won't be allowed to play until the second semester. Does anybody know which one is accurate because that is a big difference in terms of amount of games.

This could be one of those "2 things can be right at the same time" things. There are 9 D-1 games in the 1st semester, ending on Dec. 13th. Kobe 1st game will probably be E. MI on 12/20, followed by 2 more OOC games before the conference grind begins. Having practiced with the team all this time and 3 OOC games to shake the rust off, Kobe should be Kobe beginning with ILSU on 1/2.

wh

Received this email:

Season Ticket Holder Open Practice Event
Athletics-Recreation Center
Wednesday
October 13th - 5:30 PM

Valpo Athletics is thrilled to have you, our loyal, enthusiastic, and loud fans back in the stands this season.  The ARC was not the same without you.  As we look forward to what promises to be an exciting non-conference slate and a demanding Missouri Valley Conference season your support means more than ever. 
We want to provide you the opportunity to become reacquainted with your favorite players and be introduced to this year's new members.  You are cordially invited to the annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice event on October 13th beginning at 5:30 PM. 
You will be able to catch a glimpse of both our women's and men's basketball teams followed by introductions and words from Matt Lottich and Mary Evans.  Tickets, parking and hospitality passes will be available for pick up. 
As a thank you for supporting the teams we will have exclusive shirts for our Season Ticket Holders.  These shirts will be distributed at a special Season Ticket Holder game during the season.  The Open Practice will be your opportunity to put in your size request.  If you cannot attend, your tickets/passes will be placed in the mail and a ticket office representative will follow up for your t-shirt size(s).
Thank you again for your continued support and your commitment to Valpo Basketball.

Go Beacons!

If you still need to renew your tickets please contact the Valpo Ticket Office at 219-464-5233.

wh

Sheldon, Slim, and Darius set to For Tonight. There are several videos out there featuring these guys. I hope everyone is working this hard on their own. I remember reading last year that Sheldon was a gym rat. Hopefully, it's contagious.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUQ3L9TlWF6/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

justducky

The individual player pictures are finally up and the circle on oval emojis are finally down. Now I don't recognize anybody!  :'(.  Who are these guys?

valpotx

Where was that team picture taken?  It looks like there is a basketball court by Memorial/Guild now?
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: wh on October 08, 2021, 05:12:24 PM
Received this email:

Season Ticket Holder Open Practice Event
Athletics-Recreation Center
Wednesday
October 13th - 5:30 PM

Valpo Athletics is thrilled to have you, our loyal, enthusiastic, and loud fans back in the stands this season.  The ARC was not the same without you.  As we look forward to what promises to be an exciting non-conference slate and a demanding Missouri Valley Conference season your support means more than ever. 
We want to provide you the opportunity to become reacquainted with your favorite players and be introduced to this year's new members.  You are cordially invited to the annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice event on October 13th beginning at 5:30 PM. 
You will be able to catch a glimpse of both our women's and men's basketball teams followed by introductions and words from Matt Lottich and Mary Evans.  Tickets, parking and hospitality passes will be available for pick up. 
As a thank you for supporting the teams we will have exclusive shirts for our Season Ticket Holders.  These shirts will be distributed at a special Season Ticket Holder game during the season.  The Open Practice will be your opportunity to put in your size request.  If you cannot attend, your tickets/passes will be placed in the mail and a ticket office representative will follow up for your t-shirt size(s).
Thank you again for your continued support and your commitment to Valpo Basketball.

Go Beacons!

If you still need to renew your tickets please contact the Valpo Ticket Office at 219-464-5233.

I was not able to attend the open practice event this evening. Did anyone else attend? What were your impressions? Paul, I know you must have gone. Chairback? Anyone?

Chairback

Couldn't make it tonight. But I do have video someone sent to me.  How can I upload? 

wh

Quote from: Chairback on October 13, 2021, 10:24:16 PM
Couldn't make it tonight. But I do have video someone sent to me.  How can I upload? 

Uploading video (other than you tube stuff) is beyond my pay grade. Can someone help Chairback so we can see some video?

humbleopinion

I attended.  On the men's half of the court after warm-up layups, we saw a three point contest and a dunking contest.

It was hard to make much of a judgement about the players, but Preston Ruedinger's shooting ability was on display -- I wonder if he'll be getting playing time.  He may be another Seth Colclasure, but would Seth have been given plying time in the MVC?

I was sad to see Emil in a boot.  We'll see how long that lasts and if he can stay healthy.

Other than that there wasn't much.  We were out of there in forty-five minutes.
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on October 13, 2021, 06:13:03 PM
The individual player pictures are finally up and the circle on oval emojis are finally down. Now I don't recognize anybody!  :'(. Who are these guys?

As in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid?

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 14, 2021, 10:26:59 AM
Quote from: justducky on October 13, 2021, 06:13:03 PM
The individual player pictures are finally up and the circle on oval emojis are finally down. Now I don't recognize anybody!  :'(. Who are these guys?

As in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid?

Thats it!  :o  We must have hired them from Pinkerton with shoot and kill, hit orders for all of our usual bad guy Valley opponents. This sounds dangerous! No wonder Lottich wanted an 18 man roster, posse.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on October 13, 2021, 09:52:25 PM
Where was that team picture taken?  It looks like there is a basketball court by Memorial/Guild now?

The court is next to the tennis courts kinda behind left field fence for the softball field.  Google map it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tjjvalpo

Coach Lottich at the open practice described Hedstrom as a 4th year Freshman implying that he still has four years of eligibility left. I know Anderson and Taylor only have one year left, but does Kithier and King both have two years left? Based on their profiles, I think so.

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on October 15, 2021, 06:32:51 AM
Coach Lottich at the open practice described Hedstrom as a 4th year Freshman implying that he still has four years of eligibility left. I know Anderson and Taylor only have one year left, but does Kithier and King both have two years left? Based on their profiles, I think so.

After rereading PO's article about Kobe King coming to Valpo, I'm thoroughly confused. From the article:

"King believes that he'll have to miss "nine or 10 games" at the start of the 2021-22 season and that he'll also have a medical redshirt year to use following a knee injury that cut his freshman season short in 2017-18. All told, King should have two years of eligibility for Valparaiso."

If it's as simple as he can't play until the 1st semester is over, why wouldn't he say it that way? Instead, he references a specific number of games. And yet, at the time he made this comment Valpo's schedule was nowhere close to being finished, so he couldn't have been counting games that he couldn't play in. So, what is he referencing? When exactly is he eligible?

PO, you talked to him. You've had months to follow up if you weren't sure what he meant. Exactly when is he eligible and what was the basis for deciding his eligibility date?

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-lands-former-wisconsin-starter-kobe-king-who-received-ncaa-waiver-to-play/article_9edf1b23-ef67-5202-9dc9-9bad53686b52.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

wh

Quote from: wh on October 15, 2021, 07:52:46 AM
Quote from: tjjvalpo on October 15, 2021, 06:32:51 AM

After rereading PO's article about Kobe King coming to Valpo, I'm thoroughly confused. From the article:

"King believes that he'll have to miss "nine or 10 games" at the start of the 2021-22 season and that he'll also have a medical redshirt year to use following a knee injury that cut his freshman season short in 2017-18. All told, King should have two years of eligibility for Valparaiso."

If it's as simple as he can't play until the 1st semester is over, why wouldn't he say it that way? Instead, he references a specific number of games. And yet, at the time he made this comment Valpo's schedule was nowhere close to being finished, so he couldn't have been counting games that he couldn't play in. So, what is he referencing? When exactly is he eligible?

PO, you talked to him. You've had months to follow up if you weren't sure what he meant. Exactly when is he eligible and what was the basis for deciding his eligibility date?

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-lands-former-wisconsin-starter-kobe-king-who-received-ncaa-waiver-to-play/article_9edf1b23-ef67-5202-9dc9-9bad53686b52.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

As engaged and plugged in to Valpo basketball as we all are, it never ceases to amaze me what a weak connection there is between the team and the fans when it comes knowing important facts. Why  should there be confusion around when what may well be our star player is going to be eligible to play? They obviously know. Why don't we know? Did anyone know that Emil is wearing a boot? And if you did, do you know the back story or his condition currently or if he's improving or when he's projected to be able to play? Days? Weeks? Never? Anything?

Where's Todd? For years he was a regular poster who regularly filled in the blanks about things like this without violating any rules. Now the only time he says anything about Valpo basketball is 15 minutes before game time. Where's Brandon? He's another guy who no longer adds any value to the board. Do we even have a Post Tribune reporter anymore? What happened to our conduit???

valpopal

Quote from: wh on October 15, 2021, 10:40:22 AM
As engaged and plugged in to Valpo basketball as we all are, it never ceases to amaze me what a weak connection there is between the team and the fans when it comes knowing important facts. Why  should there be confusion around when what may well be our star player is going to be eligible to play? They obviously know. Why don't we know? Did anyone know that Emil is wearing a boot? And if you did, do you know the back story or his condition currently or if he's improving or when he's projected to be able to play? Days? Weeks? Never? Anything?

Where's Todd? For years he was a regular poster who regularly filled in the blanks about things like this without violating any rules. Now the only time he says anything about Valpo basketball is 15 minutes before game time. Where's Brandon? He's another guy who no longer adds any value to the board. Do we even have a Post Tribune reporter anymore? What happened to our conduit???

This is a good point, wh. I attended a meeting with VU admissions administrators this week to discuss strategies for outreach to crucial communities, especially those already engaged with Valparaiso University in various ways, for recruiting prospective students. A priority is placed upon personal interaction whenever possible to enhance community relations. I would imagine this applies here as well. The members on this board are as engaged, supportive, and loyal to the university as any group. Though I wouldn't want the coaches or players involved on the board, I don't understand why a couple representatives of Athletics do not participate a bit more, at the very least to build goodwill with those here who are potential donors. As you note, MLB and Brandon have contributed in the past, as has Todd. However, in recent weeks with basketball season approaching, I have seen nothing here. A brief occasional update would probably suffice. Considering the unusual circumstances with Covid and the limitations on personal connections nowadays, I would think the possibility of communication with avid fans and donors on this board would be an even more valuable asset.   

wh

I should have mentioned that this has nothing to do with Paul Oren. In fact, as everyone else has slacked off, Paul has elevated his coverage of Valpo basketball, as well as his presence on the board. He is all over transfer in stories, podcasts with players and former players, group Skype interviews ripe for disaster pulled off without a hitch, connections to other program's best reporters. He is at the top of his game, best-of-the-best. I'm also guessing (hopefully I'm wrong) that he's drastically underpaid for his efforts, yet he just keeps giving.

Brandon

Quote from: valpopal on October 15, 2021, 11:25:59 AM
Quote from: wh on October 15, 2021, 10:40:22 AM

This is a good point, wh. I attended a meeting with VU admissions administrators this week to discuss strategies for outreach to crucial communities, especially those already engaged with Valparaiso University in various ways, for recruiting prospective students. A priority is placed upon personal interaction whenever possible to enhance community relations. I would imagine this applies here as well. The members on this board are as engaged, supportive, and loyal to the university as any group. Though I wouldn't want the coaches or players involved on the board, I don't understand why a couple representatives of Athletics do not participate a bit more, at the very least to build goodwill with those here who are potential donors. As you note, MLB and Brandon have contributed in the past, as has Todd. However, in recent weeks with basketball season approaching, I have seen nothing here. A brief occasional update would probably suffice. Considering the unusual circumstances with Covid and the limitations on personal connections nowadays, I would think the possibility of communication with avid fans and donors on this board would be an even more valuable asset.   

Fair points all around. When you all and other members of our fan base ask for and desire more coverage and content, that is certainly a good thing and helps me in advocating for more coverage both internally (content produced by Valpo Athletics) and externally (media coverage). Last year, one bright spot of the unfortunate circumstances of our fall seasons being cancelled is that it gave me more time to produce stories on each member of the basketball program and focus on content building into basketball season during the fall. Obviously, this year we're back to normal so we have to keep up with coverage of our fall sports, and Aaron & I do a lot that happens behind the scenes that goes beyond maintaining our website. Another factor at play is the changing newspaper landscape. In years past, much of the coverage you desire would come from the local newspapers, but newspapers across the country are facing budget and resource challenges. They have decreased staffing and decreased space in the papers. That is not a reflection on the quality of the editors and reporters who work in the area -- we're lucky to have great people working at The Times and Post-Tribune. All of you know what an incredible job Paul does and he is a huge advocate for Valpo Athletics coverage. And his full-time job is teaching classes, he is a freelance reporter for the newspaper. We're also so lucky to have a strong ambassador for Valpo in Todd Ickow, who has added some women's soccer and volleyball play-by-play on ESPN3/+ to his workload that already includes home & road football in the fall.

As far as Kobe, I believe he will miss the first nine regular-season games as stated in Paul's story. His is a very unique eligibility situation and our compliance office did a great job in helping making sure he will be eligible to play despite having signed with an agent previously. His eligibility is not connected to the completion of the first semester or the start of the second semester. Matt and the other MVC head coaches will be on a media day zoom call next Wednesday, Oct. 20, and I'm sure Matt will be asked many of your other questions at that time.

I'll also say that I think the Valpo fan base, campus and community will love this team. It's a very mature, likeable group between the veteran transfers who have joined the program and the returning players. The players are very engaged across campus and within the athletic department. For example, Thomas Kithier works for me in media relations and also in our ticket office and has done an excellent job for us. He'll be one of our marquee players, and having one of our marquee players in men's basketball working on campus, getting to know support staff and supporting our other sports sets the tone for the whole team and athletic department. I think our fans will find this group relatable and likable.

I try to follow along on the message board, but feel free to email me at brandon.vickrey@valpo.edu with any suggestions or questions going forward.

VUGrad1314

Finally the mature talented team we have yearned for since joining the MVC! These qualities will be essential if we are to compete in this conference! Even despite the very tough landscape given the talent on other rosters I think this might finally be the year we break through and make our mark. If not this year then certainly next year! I've been hoping for this for a long time and am getting excited! The adjustment period is (or should be) over. It's time to start pulling our weight in this conference and I believe we are on our way to doing that! Go Valpo!

valpopal

Quote from: Brandon on October 15, 2021, 01:22:11 PM
As far as Kobe, I believe he will miss the first nine regular-season games as stated in Paul's story. His is a very unique eligibility situation and our compliance office did a great job in helping making sure he will be eligible to play despite having signed with an agent previously. His eligibility is not connected to the completion of the first semester or the start of the second semester.
Thanks, Brandon! Assuming exhibition games do not count as "regular season," it appears Kobe would be eligible for the Dec. 7 home game against East-West University, which means he would miss only one conference game. Also, this contest would be a good opportunity to get him into the flow of action with his teammates. I appreciate the update, and I look forward to more such info from you as the season progresses.

vu72

Thank you Brandon for your normal, complete and well written response.  I have always admired the writings of both Aaron and Brandon and certainly hope they are well compensated and decide to stay around.  It has already been an exciting fall (and certainly hope football begins to live up to the pre-season expectations) and hope our basketball teams put us "on the map"!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

I will look to post more frequently in upcoming weeks. For a full preview on every Beacon player listen to the latest episode of Union Street Hoops. Looking forward to an extremely exciting season.