• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Have you been vaccinated for COVID?

Started by wh, September 27, 2021, 09:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you been vaccinated?

Yes  (voluntary)
10 (100%)
Yes (employer-mandated)
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 04, 2021, 09:36:17 AM

wh

If you would, feel free to add some personal thoughts to help us better understand where everyone is coming from on this controversial topic.

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible in March. As a senior, I thought it was the prudent thing to do. If I were a generation younger with no health issues, it's hard to say. I really don't know.

Just Sayin

bb33

I typically agree with the its my body my choice, but I don't think that gives the right to spread a highly contagious disease.  I am low risk but I got vaccinated because I take care of my 92YO mother and more importantly to help curb the spread. 

I had to explain to my kids who thought it was people's right to decide not get it and if they die that's on them.  I said I would agree except it doesn't stop there.  Where there are low vax rates, hospitals are filled and people with treatable (non Covid) conditions are dying because it is taking too long to find them a hospital bed.  Your appendix burst and they can't find you a bed, what happens?

This should never have been a political thing.I am not a very political person so it's very frustrating to me.  I can't believe it's controversial.

wh

Quote from: bb33 on September 27, 2021, 01:10:02 PM
I typically agree with the its my body my choice, but I don't think that gives the right to spread a highly contagious disease.  I am low risk but I got vaccinated because I take care of my 92YO mother and more importantly to help curb the spread. 

I had to explain to my kids who thought it was people's right to decide not get it and if they die that's on them.  I said I would agree except it doesn't stop there.  Where there are low vax rates, hospitals are filled and people with treatable (non Covid) conditions are dying because it is taking too long to find them a hospital bed.  Your appendix burst and they can't find you a bed, what happens?

This should never have been a political thing.I am not a very political person so it's very frustrating to me.  I can't believe it's controversial.

IMO deciding whether to get vaccinated has become less political and more personal over time. I know that we must have posters who haven't been vaccinated and have no plans to do so, yet no one has voted that way yet. I'm not sure what to make of that.

valpopal

Here is an athlete who offers an excellent answer as to why he chooses not to be vaccinated, whether one agrees with it or not. My view has been just as Glenn Greenwald reports his own: "I got vaccinated the first day I could and so did everyone in my family. I also encouraged anyone who asked. But persuading people to get vaccinated requires that they stop being called stupid or evil, and that this above view be addressed."

We are a country that respects personal freedom but also desires a common good. The current situation has highlighted what happens when tension arises between those two aspects. As in various other areas of personal freedom versus common good (ie. pastor, spouse, or lawyer privilege against testifying even in an instance of murder; prohibition of physical torture to prevent a possible future terror attack; confidentiality permitted to the press even in criminal matters; religious exemption from military service; double jeopardy exclusion from prosecution, etc.), these are the complex consequences of living under a Constitution that contains a Bill of Rights. In many instances the solutions are messy and imperfect when guaranteed freedoms conflict with the common good, but I would not have it in any other way. 

[tweet]1442847972384026631[/tweet]

wh

wh

Northwest Indiana improving on state COVID-19 measures

The improving COVID-19 ratings of Northwest Indiana counties likely is due in part to the Region's higher vaccination rates compared to many other Indiana counties.

According to the Indiana Department of Health, 55% of Lake County residents age 12 and up are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, 61% of Porter County residents, and 55% of LaPorte County residents.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/northwest-indiana-improving-on-state-covid-19-measures/article_62bf546c-8b29-50c4-8075-6be0eb52d885.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

wh

Florida Reaches Lowest Coronavirus Case Rate in the Nation

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/10/27/florida-reaches-lowest-coronavirus-case-rate-nation/

So, a state government vehemently opposed to mask mandates in schools, businesses, etc. has the lowest infection rate in the country. Completely counterintuitive to what the CDC has said, yet here we are. It's starting to make more and more sense that herd immunity is the only way we're ever going to get past this.

BTW, like everyone else I'm just trying to navigate through this time the best way I know how. My wife and I got vaccinated, and I'm glad we did. At the same time, I can understand why people are hesitant, especially those with children, and young adults. The longer this goes on, the more convinced I am that a "one best approach" is yet to be determined.