• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Drake financial woes

Started by wh, October 09, 2021, 09:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Drake administration announces major budget cuts
by GRACE ALTENHOFEN
October 8, 2021 

https://timesdelphic.com/2021/10/33057/

crusadermoe

Sadly, its another indication that the business model of middle sized university with multiple professional programs is a tough balancing act. VU's challenges are symptomatic and may be very much the norm in their category.  Bradley would be another peer. I wonder how they are doing? 

crusadermoe

I just googled "Bradley cutbacks" on a hunch. i didn't think to do it before my post. 

You can google an April 6, 2020 news release.  This makes VU and Drake sound solid as a rock.  They forecasted a 2020-2021 budget cutback of $40 million which is 25% of budget.

crusader05

I'd imagine that you're going to see a lot of "resizing" of these universities. Mid-size just seems to be a bit to precarious right now. Better to go smaller, focus on the best programs and tighten up the ship while we look at slow and reasonable growth if possible.

I've also heard from friends who know people there that Butler is experiencing enrollment difficulties too. 

historyman

Quote from: crusader05 on June 01, 2022, 09:24:39 AM
I'd imagine that you're going to see a lot of "resizing" of these universities. Mid-size just seems to be a bit to precarious right now. Better to go smaller, focus on the best programs and tighten up the ship while we look at slow and reasonable growth if possible.

I've also heard from friends who know people there that Butler is experiencing enrollment difficulties too. 

Sutler Bucks.

It kind of sounds like the guy from Watership Down with his face on a 50 cent bill.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann