• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Bowling 2011

Started by valpotx, November 13, 2011, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Looks like we just picked up our second tournament win of the season today in our own tourney, beating a few more top 10 teams!  Congrats ladies!
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

Bowling could easily be our first national championship. Hopefully we will move up a few spots in the rankings after this tournament win.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

We have to be ranked in the top 8 to make the championship tournament.  I think we will be close if not in the top 8 after these two tourneys!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Interesting that we won the tournament but did not get a single player on the all-tournament team. Oh well, their record stands at 22-3 now, quite impressive!

valpotx

Definition of a team effort maybe? ;-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I heard Monday evening that Valpo's Women's Bowling team will be ranked #1 in the nation in the new poll to be released this week!

valpotx

Well that would be an awesome accomplishment, and I would have to imagine our first #1 ranking ever in any sport.
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

It is true.....#1 in the nation! Congrats ladies! It is an amazing accomplishment.  :thumbsup:

valpo04

Valpo89

They went from 18 in the prior poll to No. 1? That's an impressive leap.

vu72

How exciting and I hate bowling!  Congrats indeed.  Being in the top 8 gives us a chance to be in the tourney to determine a national champ.  How cool would that be!!!

Can only imagine the excitment down in South Carolina at setshot's house!  Expect there will be a new banner hanging from their house proclaiming "We're Number 1"   :cheers:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

An awesome accomplishment, our ladies should be very proud of themselves.  ;D

First Valpo sport ranked 1st in the nation: http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbowling/news/2011-12/11281/1-valpo-bowling-ascends-to-top-of-national-poll/

78crusader

In retrospect, the decision to add bowling was very wise since it seems the sport is very big in northwest Indiana and the Chicago area.  Paul

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on December 13, 2011, 09:06:21 AM
How exciting and I hate bowling! 

Can you really muster up enough emotion to HATE bowling?
I used to love watching the PBA Tour on TV when I was a kid. I'd watch it on Saturday afternoon with my mom. Remember the names like Johnny Petraglia, Mark Roth, Earl Anthony? Petraglia actually visited Inman's when I was in high school and competing in the Saturday morning youth league.
I'd bowl more often now, if it wasn't so darn expensive.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 13, 2011, 01:38:24 PMI'd bowl more often now, if it wasn't so darn expensive.

Huh.  It's not free, for sure.  But, I never put it in the category with e.g. golf.

What's ten frames set you back, these days?  How about a league?

agibson

But, I should have first said:

Fantastic!  Number one!  Congratulations!

They play a long season!  October 28 through March 18.  With the bowling championships already listed on Valpo's schedule: April 12-14.

agibson

And, for the triple post:

How often do these polls come out?  We've not been in action since... November 20?

Valpo89

I know at most lanes they have special deals, especially during non-peak hours. But I know at Inman's, if you want to take your family to bowl and you rent a lane for one hour (maybe 2), it's about $40. Shoes included. :)

valpotx

I don't know if Inman's does it anymore, but when I was in school they had $1 bowling nights.  I think it was on Thursdays?  As far as the polls, they only do a total of 10 throughout their season of 5-6 months.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2011, 04:20:05 PM
I don't know if Inman's does it anymore, but when I was in school they had $1 bowling nights.  I think it was on Thursdays?  As far as the polls, they only do a total of 10 throughout their season of 5-6 months.

they were still doing that as of last fall. it was $1 per game and like $1.50 for shoes. booze sold separately. definitely cheaper than going to a movie, and it can often last longer and more stupid/funny stories can come of it.

valpopal

Maybe we could honor the women's bowling team for being the first #1 ranked Valpo team by temporarily placing their picture at the Victory Bell (below) in the forum banner?

http://i42.tinypic.com/jagufb.jpg

valpo04

Quote from: valpopal on December 15, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
Maybe we could honor the women's bowling team for being the first #1 ranked Valpo team by temporarily placing their picture at the Victory Bell (below) in the forum banner?

:cheers:

valpopal

Thanks, Valpo 04: Well Done!

grad66

Excellent Ladies!!  Congratulations all your hard work has paid off!   :)  I know of the struggles having been in
leagues for some 30+ years, this is fantastic for you and the University.  Keep up the good work.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rlh

Quote from: valpopal on December 15, 2011, 03:43:11 PM

While I congratulate the women too, remember they are not the first number #1 ranked team we've had.....believe it or not the football team was ranked number one back in the early 2000's.  Not sure what year, I'd have to look it up, but they were there, so they probably were actually the first.