• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rob Jeter Rumors

Started by valpo84, April 14, 2011, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

goodmanonfox twitter is reporting:

"Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter, according to sources, meeting with new Miami AD Shawn Eichorst tonight in Wisconsin."

Not sure what Miami is trying to do with this hire as they have not looked at Miami native Frank Martin and are looking at other big names. But if Jeter goes to Miami, maybe Valpo can have a new Florida trip as Rob loves us so. (SI)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

blackpantheruwm

Rob likes Valpo.  Valpo is a great addition to the League.  Head coach?  Eh.

Very few people up here in the Panther fan base like Homer Drew.  The prevailing thought up here is that he is a two-faced shyster, the kind of guy who will take a timeout with 10 seconds left and a 10-point lead just to remind you that he won.

Personally, I don't know much about Homer, but that's what most people think of him as a coach - in our fan base.

As for Rob, he has taken a vacation to Miami.  The writing is on the wall.

rlh

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 18, 2011, 11:42:15 PM

Very few people up here in the Panther fan base like Homer Drew.  The prevailing thought up here is that he is a two-faced shyster, the kind of guy who will take a timeout with 10 seconds left and a 10-point lead just to remind you that he won.

Personally, I don't know much about Homer, but that's what most people think of him as a coach - in our fan base.

If that is the prevailing belief about Coach Drew....then you and your fans are totally off base.  Too bad you let one incident, which is nothing like you portray it cloud your view, but I'm sure he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 18, 2011, 11:42:15 PM

Checking on Homer's credentials and personality is not a difficult thing to do.  You don't win a Naismith Good Sportsmanship Award by being a jerk, nor the Mid-Con's Award of Merit.  Not sure what the issue is or was but you sound kind of dumb saying something like that about one of the world's great people.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

To me, it sounds like blackpanther is just relaying that most of UW-M's fan base doesn't like Homer because they feel he tried to upstage them. I don't know when this particular "timeout when leading by 10" happened, but if they let this one little incident happen... I would hate to see them play a team at U.S. Cellular Arena, and they are getting blown out by 30, when the opposing coach calls one of those substitution timeouts, when the time isn't taken for more than getting the walk-on in off the bench.

rlh

The timeout was actually called by an assistant as I remember, and Homer apologized afterwards.  It was overblown by the Panther fans as him trying to show them up, which was certainly not true....you can find anything you want in any situation if you look hard enough....

Pgmado

I was at the game and the Panthers were employing a full-court press in which the Crusaders were considerably struggling with. Drew called a timeout to discuss how they were going to break the press.

If you want to harp on Drew for calling a timeout with 10 seconds left and up double digits, then you have to harp on Jeter for employing a full-court press with 10 seconds left and down double digits. It was an unfortunate situation in the game and if Drew had any negative karma coming his way from it, then that karma was most certainly repaid in the officiating during the Horizon League semifinals.

valpo84

But blackpanther, what's the status on the Miami job search?

covufan

Seems like Miami is taking their time to make this decision.  Are they using Jeter to get a higher profile name to take a pay cut or are they just trying to get the right coach?

blackpantheruwm

Like I said, I don't personally know Homer, only talked to him a couple times.  Like valporun said, that's how the majority of our fans see Homer.  I don't hold grudges with people.

If Gary Parrish of CBS is correct, it seems they have moved on from Rob.  If the offer is true - that his offer was 900k total compensation, than my guess is that Rob turned them down.  Bradley's offer was 700k base salary, and with the shoe deal and camps that would bump up to about 900k.

For those wondering, Jeter's base state salary is 411k, and he makes about 625k total.  If he turned down Bradley, I think he'd turn down Miami.  The ACC thing is really the only thing they have going over Bradley, other than Jeter's familarity with UM's Chancellor and AD.

I was convinced at the beginning of the week that he was gone.  From the people I talk to, and the stuff I've learned, and time elapsed, my gut tells me he's going to be our coach next year.

We have two recruits - Paris Gulley and Larry Nance Jr. - who I believe are waiting to see if Jeter stays or goes.  If he stays, they sign, if he goes, they re-assess their recruitment.  Those are players we don't have signed, for what it's worth.  The others - Shaq Boga, JJ Panoske, and Demetrius Harris - have LOI's in the school.  Two of those I've talked to, and committed to Milwaukee for reasons other than Jeter and will likely still come if Jeter goes.

If Jeter returns and the two unsigned players commit to Milwaukee, look out - I will be picking the Panthers to win the conference, and I haven't done that since 2005-06, when we won and went to the second round, losing to national champ Florida.

valpo04

Quote from: covufan on April 20, 2011, 01:51:37 PM
Seems like Miami is taking their time to make this decision.  Are they using Jeter to get a higher profile name to take a pay cut or are they just trying to get the right coach?

Jim Larranaga to coach Hurricanes

QuoteCORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Coach Jim Larranaga is leaving George Mason to become the men's basketball coach at Miami.

George Mason athletic director Tom O'Connor told The Associated Press that Larranaga called Friday morning to say that he has accepted the job at the Atlantic Coast Conference school.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6409458

valpo84

blackpanther--Larry Nance Jr has real potential. I have had the chance to see him play many times. He wasn't sure about playing hoops til about after his sophomore year. He then dedicated himself to it. He is a sleeper.

And Jim Larranaga to Miami is an interesting hire.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: valpo84 on April 23, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
blackpanther--Larry Nance Jr has real potential. I have had the chance to see him play many times. He wasn't sure about playing hoops til about after his sophomore year. He then dedicated himself to it. He is a sleeper.

And Jim Larranaga to Miami is an interesting hire.

Everything I hear is that Larry Nance Jr. is the final piece.  We just want that final piece.

valpo84

Larry Jr. would be best to redshirt his freshman year and let him get bigger, taller and stronger. He will not contribute substantially his freshman year unless he grows another 3" this summer and then watch out.

a3uge

I wonder if he'll bring some of his recruits with him. They'll probably get busted for cocaine possession anyways.

VUfan

"Wyoming has signed a recruit with some professional basketball in his family history. Larry Nance Jr., of Richfield, Ohio, will join the Cowboys for the 2011-12 season. He is coach Larry Shyatt's fifth recruit this spring. Nance is the son of former NBA player Larry Nance, who played from 1981-94 with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns." Yahoo