• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Pomeroy goes pay

Started by agibson, November 14, 2011, 06:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Replying to my own off comment post on the GA State Thread:

Quote from: agibson on November 10, 2011, 08:06:28 PM
I've forgotten, does Pomeroy mean much of anything at this point?  I think he does pre-populate with something, but is it last season's results?  Or something else?

(Detroit's #2, so maybe it is something a bit meaningful.)

Anyhow, I think they'll mean a lot _more_ in three-four weeks.  And more yet when conference play gets going.

Also, I notice he's going pay!  Not for the main ratings page.  But, for details.  Not yet clear to me which details will cost $$.

Do you guys know Ken Pomeroy?  If not, here's a good starting point http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/51551812-183/pomeroy-hayward-basketball-teams.html.csp
(Gordon Hayward and Brad Stevens know him)

He's had one of the best sites for basketball stats and computer predictions.  And, now his paywall's in full force.  It's a high wall!  His main ratings page is free, but it looks like everything else (schedules, stats, predictions, etc.) is pay.

$20/year.  So, if I have money to pay for basketball stats (some years yes, some years no), there's a new dilemma.  Does it go to Kyle Whelliston, or to Ken Pomeroy?

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on November 14, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
Replying to my own off comment post on the GA State Thread:

Quote from: agibson on November 10, 2011, 08:06:28 PM
I've forgotten, does Pomeroy mean much of anything at this point?  I think he does pre-populate with something, but is it last season's results?  Or something else?

(Detroit's #2, so maybe it is something a bit meaningful.)

Anyhow, I think they'll mean a lot _more_ in three-four weeks.  And more yet when conference play gets going.

Also, I notice he's going pay!  Not for the main ratings page.  But, for details.  Not yet clear to me which details will cost $$.

Do you guys know Ken Pomeroy?  If not, here's a good starting point http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/51551812-183/pomeroy-hayward-basketball-teams.html.csp
(Gordon Hayward and Brad Stevens know him)

He's had one of the best sites for basketball stats and computer predictions.  And, now his paywall's in full force.  It's a high wall!  His main ratings page is free, but it looks like everything else (schedules, stats, predictions, etc.) is pay.

$20/year.  So, if I have money to pay for basketball stats (some years yes, some years no), there's a new dilemma.  Does it go to Kyle Whelliston, or to Ken Pomeroy?

I'm still paying 20 bucks a year to Jerry Palm ;)

agibson

Has he not started for 2011-2012 yet?  Or maybe that's just the public pages?

covufan

I saw this the other day as well.  I like his stats, but not worth $20 for just looking at stats.

agibson

However, it really does leave me at a loss.  I need to find some other place to go for easy access to historical schedules, some rankings, etc.

realtimerpi.com has some of this, but the interface seems pretty painful...

covufan

Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2011, 12:26:49 AM
However, it really does leave me at a loss.  I need to find some other place to go for easy access to historical schedules, some rankings, etc.

realtimerpi.com has some of this, but the interface seems pretty painful...
Here is Valpo's schedule via massey ratings:

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=179268&t=8361