• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Acting Head Coach Jake Diebler

Started by Just Sayin, January 09, 2022, 11:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Jake's coaching debut can be seen on the Big 10 network at 4:30 CT.

mj

Hopefully Jake Diebler can be our head coach next season.
I believe that we will win.

tjjvalpo

Another gritty player that was all about defense first-man do I long for that again. I honestly think That Matt has lost this team. He doesn't hold players accountable and his offense scheme sucks!

VU2014

6 years is enough tape to know Lottich isn't the guy. Mark LaBarbera (AD) needs set aside his personal relationships/feelings and do what is best for the program and the University.

It's time. At certain point the excuses need to stop.

https://twitter.com/ohiostatehoops/status/1480228777275789312?s=21

https://twitter.com/valpo_hoops/status/1480291135142735872?s=21

valpotx

Who says that Jake would want to be the HC at Valpo?  He very much seems to have Power 5 ambitions, so he wouldn't be our long-term fit, either.  I would rather have Tonagel, who is more likely to spend 5-10+ years here.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

I think we're going to be disappointed if we're looking for the next Homer Drew. I'm ok if we keep a coach for a few years and then they move up to a Power 5 conference because they're successful at Valpo. Butler and Loyola have figured it out. I'd like to see Valpo do something similar.
I believe that we will win.

Chairback

Easy choice, Tonagel.  MLB better be sending him "how you doing" texts at this point. 

usc4valpo

Worried if Tonegal could make the jump. Concerned it may be another Dale Carlson experience.

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 09, 2022, 07:04:09 PM
Who says that Jake would want to be the HC at Valpo?  He very much seems to have Power 5 ambitions, so he wouldn't be our long-term fit, either.  I would rather have Tonagel, who is more likely to spend 5-10+ years here.

I don't know Jake personally but he was an assistant coach at Valpo from 2011-2013 and left to become video coordinator under Thad Matta at Ohio State. Judging how he was willing to take a "lesser" coaching role on a Power 5 staff like Ohio State, I have no doubt he wouldn't be sticking around if he had major success at his alma mater, Valparaiso. Heck, Bryce Drew left. It is what it is. That's college back basketball these days. Don't fight the incentive structure. The hope would be that if Jake took the job and found major success, he'd leave behind an assistant or two who would be qualified to take the reigns. Under Bryce Drew, that Coach would have been Roger Powell and he turned down the job. The choice then came down to Lottich or Gore because MLB wanted to hire from within, which honestly made sense for the short-term and retaining that stacked Senior Class that included AP. Hindsight is 20-20 and it hasn't really worked out with Lottich. Valpo has become a mediocre program in a great mid-major conference. I was a big Lottich supporter at one time and wanted to give him every opportunity. After this season he's had enough of them. He's not a horrible coach but he's not a good one either. Admitting that doesn't make someone any lesser of a fan.

Mark LaBarbera and President Padilla need to make a change after the season, imo.

VU2014

Quote from: Chairback on January 09, 2022, 07:47:49 PM
Easy choice, Tonagel.  MLB better be sending him "how you doing" texts at this point. 

I've shared my concerns about Greg in the past on the forum. I have no doubt he has the coaching chops from an Xs and Os stand point. Maybe it would work, I don't know. I have questions about recruiting at an MVC level. My first call would be Roger Powell. I don't think he'd take the job as he's already turned down an offer once and his star is burning pretty hot right now. I doubt he takes it but you shoot your shot. Then Jake, and interview Greg. Maybe he's a fit. You never know.

But honestly I don't have faith that the AD would even entertain a Coaching switch now. He's content with mediocrity and excuses.

oklahomamick

Tex what's wrong if Jake only stays short term? 

Our players only stay 1 maybe two 2 years.....

Need a coach that can get us back to winning like we used too.  When a program is winning it's easier to get a proven/better coach. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

If Jake coaches like he played basketball, we need that kind of winner. I loved Jake's attitude, his hustle and the little things he did to help the team win. Very high basketball IQ which is what one should expect from a coaches son.

usc4valpo

NAIA to Div. 1 is a huge jump and a different job, that all I am trying to say...

AB

Success is success. It can translate. Bo Ryan, Jay Wright, Pearl, Andy Enfield (FGCU) the guy at Texas. All worked their way up, found success.

usc4valpo

I think Dale Carlson was an NAIA coach. We saw where that went...I know, it's football, different sport for Valpo. But NAIA is a big jump.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on January 09, 2022, 10:55:45 PMI don't have faith that the AD would even entertain a Coaching switch now. He's content with mediocrity and excuses.

So lets see now...

The AD has fired at least two football coaches

The AD has recently fired the Softball coach

The AD fired the women's basketball coach

The AD has eliminated two entire programs

The AD does what has to happen.  He knew Matt would take some time to develop and he has given him that time.  I we fail miserably (like 8, 9 or 10)  I wouldn't be shocked to see him make a change.  Remember, the President is a no-nonsense guy who also understands the importance of winning basketball programs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 10, 2022, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 09, 2022, 10:55:45 PMI don't have faith that the AD would even entertain a Coaching switch now. He's content with mediocrity and excuses.

So lets see now...

The AD has fired at least two football coaches

The AD has recently fired the Softball coach

The AD fired the women's basketball coach

The AD has eliminated two entire programs

The AD does what has to happen.  He knew Matt would take some time to develop and he has given him that time.  I we fail miserably (like 8, 9 or 10)  I wouldn't be shocked to see him make a change.  Remember, the President is a no-nonsense guy who also understands the importance of winning basketball programs.

I hope you're right. I genuinely want it to work out with Matt. He and his Assistant are A+ Guys and I badly want Coach Gore to stay with the program. The 6 years is just a long enough leash. There is a consistency of lack of creativity and long spells of offensive struggles.

At a certain point we need to see results. The guy can recruit but coaching there are major concerns. I feel like a lot of coaches that have relationships or connections to the program could do a lot more with this roster and get better and more consistent results with this roster. Wouldn't shock me if Lottich was back next year, in fact I expect it. I don't know what his contract looks like. I know he got an extension of some sort.

I love this program but I'm sick of watching the same errors and issues with the play on the court. MLB has to know at this point another Coach could get more out of this roster. The trick is finding a Coach who is a culture fit, embraces the University, can recruit a high level with the state of our facilities, and be an excellent leader and Xs& Os Coach and can get players to execute.

Valpo2003

Long time lurker first post

I'm amused how " fans" of the program seem to think they are more knowledgeable about Athletics and particularly basketball than :

1. An Athletics Director that has been at an ACC school and knows what a successful program looks like

2. A coach that played in the PAC 12

And both I'm sure have access to some of the top people in the country in regards to the management of a program
Honestly- unless someone on the board has better credentials than the above perhaps leave the process of improving the program in a much tougher conference - in much more competitive times to those you constantly second guess.

I'm assuming no one does-

Chairback

2003, we just want to win like we have in the past. That has not happened in years. 
We are going backwards, not forwards.

Also, just because you have "credentials" doesn't mean you will have success.  It means you should be able to do the job but if you can't a change is needed.

Also, the fans on this forum are long time supporters of the program. The number of us is dwindling and when you go backwards it's hard to gain new fans. We know the programs past and we know what it's capable of.  But most of all we have deep pride of the program and want it to be nothing but successful again.

It can be hard to accept and hear when the job is not being done right.  But these high profile and high paid jobs come with a lot of expectations.  You have to win. 

The basketball program and it's success has a massive impact on the university and it's image.  Reference Butler, Loyola, and the Valpo of old.

NativeCheesehead

Bringing up a job at NC State from 20 years ago?

Lol, found ML's burner account.

tjjvalpo

In 1998, I was a first year season ticket holder, but a long time observer of the program, watching what Homer Drew was building. I was fortunate enough to be at the sweet sixteen win in person and see the tears of happiness from the Alumni that had supported the program that allowed Valpo to move to Division 1 basketball in the early 80's. It was a special time. I have been there every year since going to all of the conference tournaments, NCAA  and NIT games. My heart hurts from what I have watched since the Drew's have left the building. I have questioned Matt Lottich's coaching style from day one. It is not and has not been whar was successful in the past. That was the logic in which Lottich was hired under, but MLB didn't dig deep enough with what scheme he was going to run. I see little if anything of what was run under the Drew's. The values that were held to building a great team have been abandoned. Matt has recruited talent, but I don't see the leadership that is needed to get the most out of the talent that he has. I could go on and on, but let's just say it is time to move on. I am so sad about the state of VU basketball.

Valpo2003

Quote from: Chairback on January 10, 2022, 07:49:41 PM
2003, we just want to win like we have in the past. That has not happened in years. 
We are going backwards, not forwards.

Also, just because you have "credentials" doesn't mean you will have success.  It means you should be able to do the job but if you can't a change is needed.

Also, the fans on this forum are long time supporters of the program. The number of us is dwindling and when you go backwards it's hard to gain new fans. We know the programs past and we know what it's capable of.  But most of all we have deep pride of the program and want it to be nothing but successful again.

It can be hard to accept and hear when the job is not being done right.  But these high profile and high paid jobs come with a lot of expectations.  You have to win. 

The basketball program and it's success has a massive impact on the university and it's image.  Reference Butler, Loyola, and the Valpo of old.

We aren't playing Southern Utah or Cleveland State week to week like we did when we were"winning"
We were in really bad conferences - not the case anymore.
If you want this program to succeed then we need better facilities. Nothing much will change until this happens.
Whether that occurs through the school fundraising for it or we have some individual donors willing to complete the project is the way forward.

tjjvalpo

I agree that the conference competition is more difficult, but when we were in the Horizon, we consistently won in our non-conference schedule and entered the conference schedule with a good or very good RPI, then saw our ranking drop throughout the season because of our competition, win or lose. Under Lottich, we have had a poor RPI/NET ranking at the end of the non-conference schedule and seen it go up slightly during Conference play. The idea was that we would have a non-conference ranking (100 or better) like used to and then go up from there with some quality wins in conference play. That simply hasn't happened. Yet, our recruiting tells us that we should be if our team would be reaching it's potential. Not happening- a coaching change is needed!

Valpo2003

Quote from: tjjvalpo on January 10, 2022, 09:44:34 PM
I agree that the conference competition is more difficult, but when we were in the Horizon, we consistently won in our non-conference schedule and entered the conference schedule with a good or very good RPI, then saw our ranking drop throughout the season because of our competition, win or lose. Under Lottich, we have had a poor RPI/NET ranking at the end of the non-conference schedule and seen it go up slightly during Conference play. The idea was that we would have a non-conference ranking (100 or better) like used to and then go up from there with some quality wins in conference play. That simply hasn't happened. Yet, our recruiting tells us that we should be if our team would be reaching it's potential. Not happening- a coaching change is needed!

People are so misguided
We have 2 wins in the last 20 years against top 25 teams. Both by Lottich.