• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-23 Season

Started by humbleopinion, April 04, 2022, 06:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Now that we have a roster I will start to think about the team potential. Unknowns are everywhere. What can Matt do with this bunch?

Last year all of us were far too optimistic. Might this season play out just the opposite?

vu72

Quote from: justducky on August 12, 2022, 11:09:31 AMLast year all of us were far too optimistic. Might this season play out just the opposite?

Based on the final result, but not on the "potential".  Who among us saw Ben missing the first four games, or Thomas missing half the season or Trevor being done half way through and making us rely on freshman point guards, or Keyondre being hurt and missing the season?  This coming season will be filled with 'potential"!  The question is can they stay healthy and can Matt get them together.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AB

Not having Kithier is a big blow!. If healthy...14 pts 8 rbs and an excellent position (underrated) defender. Lot of production lost. However, the other argument could be a style preference. Kith was a back to the basket player playing at a slower pace. With him out, does that mean we play at a faster pace, more transition opportunities. We don't have a proven big returning that can rebound and is capable of scoring double digits on most nights. If Valley teams are smart they will force the ball out of Krikke's hand's and dare us to make shots. I'm sorry..... we have a lot pieces coming in, but we won't know anything until the first week of January. While I am at it, Krikke has been a no show in the rebounding department and a liability at times on defense. Will be curious to see if he takes another step forward this year.

vu72

Quote from: AB on August 12, 2022, 01:08:26 PM
Not having Kithier is a big blow!. If healthy...14 pts 8 rbs and an excellent position (underrated) defender. Lot of production lost. However, the other argument could be a style preference. Kith was a back to the basket player playing at a slower pace. With him out, does that mean we play at a faster pace, more transition opportunities. We don't have a proven big returning that can rebound and is capable of scoring double digits on most nights. If Valley teams are smart they will force the ball out of Krikke's hand's and dare us to make shots. I'm sorry..... we have a lot pieces coming in, but we won't know anything until the first week of January. While I am at it, Krikke has been a no show in the rebounding department and a liability at times on defense. Will be curious to see if he takes another step forward this year.

I agree it is a big loss but...have you seen tape on Jerome Palm? 6'10" 7' wingspan.  Here ya go!  This is from TWO years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOhqjJ7pj0

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: 1LoneBeacon on August 12, 2022, 08:26:08 AM
Bad luck??

I think they have a new S&C coach ... someone correct me if i am wrong.

My understanding is that there is now a S&C coach hired assigned exclusively to men's basketball
Beamin' Beacons

mj

QuoteTwo guys who have suffered career ending injuries in one season...

I would be more concerned if it were two freshmen versus two B1G transfers. Didn't they have prior injury history before Valpo? Tough break either way.
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

Tough break on TK, as that dude was solid.  I had a lot of respect for his and Trevor's games, but glad that they got to play 1/2 a season more before hanging it up.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

Valpo just announced A new player for the 2022-23 season. Ibra Bayu is a 6'8 Forward from the Netherlands. A good friend to Jerome Palm. Played HS ball in Pennsylvania. Temple and Nebraska had offered him. Has had dome health issues the past year.

VALPO LI

Quote from: RS on August 15, 2022, 12:50:13 PM
Valpo just announced A new player for the 2022-23 season. Ibra Bayu is a 6'8 Forward from the Netherlands. A good friend to Jerome Palm. Played HS ball in Pennsylvania. Temple and Nebraska had offered him. Has had dome health issues the past year.

Two broken ankles last year...ouch!!!
Shine on Vu

vu72

A true freshman with a 7' wing span and who can defend!  Nebraska didn't offer him because he was a project.  Once again, our team makeup will be entirely different than last year. More athletic and, hopefully, better on defense.

Ranked a 3 star and #42 small forward by 247:

https://247sports.com/Article/La-Salle-Nebraska-Temple-Ibrahima-Bayu-journey-from-Netherlands-to-United-States-153363900/

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on August 15, 2022, 01:27:52 PM
A true freshman with a 7' wing span and who can defend!  Nebraska didn't offer him because he was a project.  Once again, our team makeup will be entirely different than last year. More athletic and, hopefully, better on defense.

Ranked a 3 star and #42 small forward by 247:

https://247sports.com/Article/La-Salle-Nebraska-Temple-Ibrahima-Bayu-journey-from-Netherlands-to-United-States-153363900/

For whatever it is worth: that article and the rankings are from two years ago before he had his injuries. The Temple and Nebraska interest also happened in August of 2020. The current 247 sports ranking of 2022 recruits lists 348 players and Bayu does not appear among them, nor does he appear on their Small Forward rankings. Verbal Commits lists him with just a 2-star rating and no scholarship interest since 2020.

vu72

Got us picked 9th, right behind a team that basically had their entire team transfer.  Whatever.  Expect a better outcome.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21583/krikke-king-earn-preseason-all-conference-honors-mvc-releases-preseason-poll/

Valpo Joe

If Valpo finishes 9th or lower the unemployment in Porter County will increase by at least 1  :whiteflag:

vu72

So we finally have a team photo and two guys are missing.  The women's team picture had one person missing.  What's up with that?? Weird.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/

crusader05

Probably nothing more than either they had class or were sick at the time of the photo and will probably at least do an individual make up one later

vu72

During the eleven years I've been on this board it is very clear to me that enthusiasm for the men's basketball team is at an all time low.  Pre-season reviews are starting to come out, first  game is in two days and...crickets.

So I will try to gen some thoughts here by given my wild guess on how the team might perform as well as a preseason starting lineup.  Obviously, trying to get anything out of Matt, during his weekly interview with Brandon, is not going to happen.

So here goes:  I think the team has the pieces to be a top half team, maybe higher.  Starting at point guard, last year we started with a very experienced guy in Trevor Anderson, but by January 30 he was done and hadn't been very effective prior due to his injuries.  Thus, we ended the season with a walk-on freshman starting backed up by another freshman.  This year we again start off with a veteran point guard--who is much quicker than Trevor was, and the backups are not freshman any longer.  Overall, better than last year.

At the 2 we again have Kobe King, who last year had to sit out the first nine games after not playing for a couple of years.  The rust showed.  this year's version is 15 lbs lighter and very familiar with Matt's offense.  Again, better this year then last.

At the three, Quiton Green will likely get the nod.  From what I've seem (obviously old film) he appears to be a two inch taller version of Sheldon Edwards.  Matt has said that Green shoots the 3 at near a 40% clip. Last year we had Kevion Tailor who shot the 3 at 38.3%.  This might have to go to last year's team.

At the 4 we again have Ben Krikke here, who started last year off with a sprained ankle and missed the first couple of games.  Matt says he is in better shape and hopefully gain ed expertise in shooting the 3 over the off season. Remember, Ben had to play a lot of 5 last season so if he can stay at the 4 he should be a better player.  Advantage: This year's team.

At the 5 Matt say we have a "three headed monster" We'll see.  I'm really interested in seeing how well Jerome Palm performed.  At 6'10" and a 7 foot wingspan, he, hopefully, will give a rim protector we haven't had in a long time.  With the return of a healthy Emil and another year's experience in Joe, we should have the depth to keep Ben from having to play the 5. Last year's final game zero backup minutes from these two.  Thomas was a great player but wasn't the best rebounder and had to play through a lot of pain.  I'd call this team a little better at the 5.

As for depth, this is where this year's team has a sizable advantage.  Last year we basically had two key reserves: Eron Gordon, who averaged 3.2 ppg and Trey Woodyard, who averaged 1.2 ppg.  Connor Barrett, after starting a bunch of games the year before, disappeared, playing is only 16 of 32 games, scoring at 2.1 ppg.  Presumable Connor will return to form. Matt seems to think that Cam has made great strides forward and we add two 6'8" guys in Max Nelson (who apparently is a great 3 shooter (maybe like Jacob O??) and Ibra Bayu, a guy who has had nothing but a bunch of medical issues, but if healthy could be a game changer with his athleticism--at one point he did hold an offer from Nebraska.

So there you have it!  I'll go with Ben, Kobe, Green, Jerome and Preston to start on Saturday.  GO BEACONS!!  Now I need to get some stuff done in my office!

vok22

I have been following along but haven't posted in a while, mainly because I don't think there is much to be excited about until proven otherwise. Hopefully stringing some wins together will bring some people back. Conversely to last year, I am going into this season with low expectations. Not because I think our potential is low, only because I am waiting for this coaching staff to show some ability. Here are my thoughts:

Starting Lineup
Nick Edwards
Kobe King
Quinton Green
Ben Krikke
Jerome Palm

How I think it will go: I really think the keys to this season are 1) Matt needs to be better in game coach and 2) we need to stay healthy. I think if we are healthy last year, we win close to 20 games. No reason this year should be any different.

1 Nick Edwards looks solid. Good passer, can knock down shots, quick, but not so small he is toyed with on defense like Sackey was. Is he gonna be an all conference player? No, but I think he'll be better than our PG production was last year given the injuries and inexperience that plagued us. Preston and Darius also held their own as freshmen, rarely turning the ball over. I'm not expecting an astronomical leap for either of them, but I expect they can be an annoyance to opponents off the bench. They already were last year at times. 

2) Kobe King. People were dissapointed with him last season, and I guess I can't blame them, but I still think he was good. Not "drag this program out of this hole by himself" good, but has All Conference Team caliber ability. He gives off Patrick Williams vibes with his non-aggressiveness sometimes, but he was also out a bit last year and now has some time at Valpo under his belt. I think we will be better at the 2 than most of our opponents.

3) Quinton Green. Not really sure what to expect here. Kevion Taylor was really good at this spot last year, so I can't expect him to live up to those standards, but I don't think he'll be that much less reliable. Has some experienced. Will have some growing pains coming to the D1 level, but is athletic and can shoot the ball. Those will transfer with him.

4) Ben Krikke. We know what we are getting here for the most part. He is REALLY GOOD at the 4. Hopefully he can stay there for most of the game. That would really help us out.

5) Jerome Palm. This is shaky. I would feel very confident having Kithier starting and Palm off the bench, but obviosuly not having Kithier anymore makes that impossible. That would really alleviate the need for Krikke to have to play any 5 at all. If Joe or Emil can step up, that would be nice, but I don't have any hope in that happening. Joe looked completely lost last year and Emil has played about 5 minutes in his 3 year career. I feel like Palm is still pretty raw, but if he is able to be consistent, I think his skill set is more in tune with modern day basketball than Kithier, and therefore may be a positive to us. Has a better build for interior defense and rebounding, which is something we have been missing ever since Fernandez left.

Coaching: I mentioned that Matt needs to be a better in game coach. While I no longer hold any hope he is the long term answer, I do think there is reason to believe he could have a better time this year. 1) with a trainer specifically for basketball now, maybe we will have less injuries and 2) there was significantly less turnover this offseason on the team which leads me to believe not only will this team mesh better than his previous rosters, but also that there is more buy in from these players.

Overall Predictions:
I think if we are consistently healthy, we finish above .500 overall and avoid Thursday (or whatever night it is now post expansion). The valley is still deep and road games will be tough no matter the opponent. I think we could surprise ourselves but I've learned my lesson expecting that.

I'll add some more thoughts later I just typed this on my phone on the bus.

AB

yeah. Win games. That solves fan apathy. Only Cub fans show up win or loose

VALPO LI

Was there a "secret" scrimmage this year? Has anyone heard anything? Or is this not done anymore?
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on October 28, 2022, 06:35:17 PM
Was there a "secret" scrimmage this year? Has anyone heard anything? Or is this not done anymore?

No secret scrimmage this year.  The game today is an exhibition so basically a scrimmage.

elephtheria47

But the school is able to sell tickets and concessions for exhibitions. Secret scrimmages are closed.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2022, 08:01:24 AM

No secret scrimmage this year.  The game today is an exhibition so basically a scrimmage.

Teams are allowed two exhibition games or scrimmages.  Why would Valpo only play one exhibition and have no scrimmage?  Seems like a missed opportunity to prepare the team with the regular season opener a week away.

Pgmado

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 29, 2022, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2022, 08:01:24 AM

Teams are allowed two exhibition games or scrimmages.  Why would Valpo only play one exhibition and have no scrimmage?  Seems like a missed opportunity to prepare the team with the regular season opener a week away.

Valparaiso did have a secret scrimmage this year. Just not in the manor in which it normally does. They got a lot of good out of it. This one was a bit more secret than the normal "secret" scrimmages.

vok22

Does anybody that was at the game have any comments on it? It doesn't really inspire much confidence in me the Emil started. We are doomed if he is our best option at center. 3 fouls in 11 minutes sounds about right.

VUBBFan

So, the Secret Scrimmage really was a secret this year.

Quess we're going to have to get better spies for next year. ;D ;D