• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-2023 Schedule

Started by VALPO LI, May 15, 2022, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: David81 on September 01, 2022, 01:28:58 PM
Question for those of you more steeped in scheduling matters: Is this non-conf slate due to looking for easy wins, inability to get better schools to schedule VU, or both?

In any event, it really does remind me of what VU's MBB schedule looked like when I matriculated in the late 70s....

In Matt's defense (only a little defense), We need to remember that three of the five starters are brand new to Valpo and Matt's system. I'm presuming here that Palm, Green and Edwards will get the start or at a minimum play major roles.  We also add two very good teams to the Valley while losing one.  Still a very crappy home schedule prior to conference.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NotBryceDrew

That's no real defense though cause this is the most players he's brought back year over year I believe

vu84v2

Quote from: David81 on September 01, 2022, 01:28:58 PM
Question for those of you more steeped in scheduling matters: Is this non-conf slate due to looking for easy wins, inability to get better schools to schedule VU, or both?

In any event, it really does remind me of what VU's MBB schedule looked like when I matriculated in the late 70s....

Either of these reasons is possible, but I will argue that there may be another reason. You'll note that the only road games requiring flights are games in which travel costs are directly or indirectly covered. My guess is that this is part of a larger emphasis to minimize spending. You pay a little and you get Western Michigan, Elon and Incarnate Word. You pay more and you may get average to above average teams within mid-tier conferences. I also wonder if the intention to keep costs down has a greater affect on scheduling because Valpo left two of midwestern mid-major conferences...hence MAC teams are willing to schedule, but Summit and Horizon teams are not.

Regardless of the challenges, a program is responsible to develop a schedule that interests and excites its fan base (within reason, of course - I do not expect a bunch of Big Ten or Big East teams playing in the ARC). The program, and thus those who run the program, have failed this year after having poor schedules for the last several years.

vufan75

Quote from: vu72 on September 01, 2022, 09:19:29 AM
This the worst Home OOC schedule I can remember.   :(

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21450/valpo-basketball-reveals-nonconference-schedule/
Agreed. Hard to see a home game that will draw many fans as a must see game. Only possible Nov/Dec saving grace for fans would be a MVC conference game. I'm assuming with the 20 game conference schedule there will be 2 conference games in Dec? Perhaps one home, one away? I'd sure like to think we're better than this type of schedule. I've drank too much kool-aid over time. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

Whatever. I'm pretty numb at this point. This is probably the worst overall schedule (and the worst home schedule) I've seen possibly ever in all my time as a fan. I'm at the point where I believe that Valpo's home schedules are just always going to be bad and that's just something we're going to have to accept especially if we aren't winning. Maybe when (if) we prove we can be a strong program at the MVC level again that will change but not before. Who wants to go on the road to play a likely Q3\Q4 team except another likely Q3\Q4 team? That said I still believe as much as I hate to admit it that this is probably the right schedule for where the program is right now even though I wish it were at least a little bit stronger. This program needs some confidence and a spark and maybe this (hopefully) easy schedule will provide that confidence with the spark coming in MVC play where that confidence translates into some wins to get things rolling towards the goal of finally establishing ourselves in the MVC. That's about as optimistic as I can be at this point. Please show me something Beacons. Give me a reason to be hopeful again. Let's win some games build momentum and strive for a much better schedule next year. I don't want to become the new Marty Simmons-era Evansville of the conference that gorged itself on non con cupcakes to have a nice record with no substance and then got hammered in conference because they weren't prepared. Come to think of it I think that team ran the exact same offense as Lottich does... That is not a comforting thought...

AB

No power 5 teams will ever come to the arc, unless it's a favor (Robbie Hummel) etc.. New Mexico (Alford) and ETSU came because both coaches had ties to Indiana or in this case Murray's father Gene Bartow. Non sure how we got a home and home with St. Louis. A fair comparison is....our non con schedule to Murray State, Belmont over the years. Northern Iowa is able to get some top A10 teams, but what other MVC schools have good non con home schedules yearly. Did Loyola have great non con home schedule. Unless we pay and or become a power again, scheduling will remain a challenge. Now that the power 5 conferences have more teams, they have less available slots for non con. Ole Miss game is prolly a nice $40 - $60,000 check. Ofcourse he's trying to load up on wins.

NotBryceDrew

Ole miss 40-60... it's 70+ easy probably 80-85

JD24

There's a bunch of issues related to the schedule which have been touched on.

I think much of it comes down to the competitiveness of the program at the moment which can be frustrating but won't get solved until after the season at the earliest. Either it turns around at least somewhat this season or they'll be a rebuilding begun next year. I'm confident in the current AD to take care of it. He seems to get it. The program just isn't attractive right now.

For all the bleating about the schedule, and I agree it isn't good, who would you like them to play and, of those teams, which would logically commit to coming to the ARC?

The peers for Valpo are in the MVC. What OOC home schedules to those teams have?

elephtheria47

The team isnt going anywhere, so why not at least play some buy games (and put that money back into the program/upgrade the ARC) and let the players have some of those cool experiences/arenas/atmospheres. Cant wait to see where our OOC SOS will end up.

We're recruiting to a bad coach, in an old outdated gym, and against a s**tty schedule.

usc4valpo

I have this feeling Valpo will go through the motions this year to bag the coach and clean up from the ground up. No AD, new president, we need a new attitude.

EddieCabot

I found a little information on the Savannah tourney, which is being called the inaugural "Hostilo Community Classic".  The games will be played at the brand new Enmarket Arena. 

The only team showing opponents is Mercer and their schedule shows games against Fairfield, Robert Morris and Towson.  If you assume those 4 teams will play round robin, I'm guessing (100% speculation) that Valpo will match up against South Alabama, S Dakota St and James Madison (avoiding Evansville). 

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2022, 02:41:20 PM
I found a little information on the Savannah tourney, which is being called the inaugural "Hostilo Community Classic".  The games will be played at the brand new Enmarket Arena. 

The only team showing opponents is Mercer and their schedule shows games against Fairfield, Robert Morris and Towson.  If you assume those 4 teams will play round robin, I'm guessing (100% speculation) that Valpo will match up against South Alabama, S Dakota St and James Madison (avoiding Evansville). 

Thank for the update. I plan on attending.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 04, 2022, 10:48:34 AM
I have this feeling Valpo will go through the motions this year to bag the coach and clean up from the ground up. No AD, new president, we need a new attitude.

I assume that you meant new AD.

I honestly think that the poor schedule is partially related to budget constraints - minimize travel, etc.

VALPO LI

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2022, 02:41:20 PM

Good find.
I saw that Towson has Mercer and South Alabama on their schedule for this MTE.  Nicholls State was originally listed to play as well in the tournament but now they are no longer. 
I would really hope to see Valpo get matched up with games against South Dakota State and JMU over Robert Morris and Fairfield.  Fingers crossed.
Shine on Vu

Valpo Joe

Do the Beacons need to be in Div 2 ????   ??? ??? ???

vu84v2

vu72

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 08, 2022, 08:21:53 AM
Blue ribbon has us picked 8th!

https://mvc-sports.com/news/2022/9/7/mens-basketball-blue-ribbon-yearbook-tabs-drake-as-mvc-mbb-favorite.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2B3UuEzodbBYSWvuyzQxOMb-mEfEiBooJFD_hf0tv5es8WCgPamhSpLbo

I had to research why Murray State would be predicted at 10 after going 31-3 last season.  Looks like they had 8 guys transfer, including 3 who went to LSU. 

JD24

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 08, 2022, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: vu72 on September 08, 2022, 08:21:53 AMBlue ribbon has us picked 8th! https://mvc-sports.com/news/2022/9/7/mens-basketball-blue-ribbon-yearbook-tabs-drake-as-mvc-mbb-favorite.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2B3UuEzodbBYSWvuyzQxOMb-mEfEiBooJFD_hf0tv5es8WCgPamhSpLbo
I had to research why Murray State would be predicted at 10 after going 31-3 last season.  Looks like they had 8 guys transfer, including 3 who went to LSU.
Poke through the threads as this was discussed months ago.

crusadermoe

Savannah is a nice tourney.  And Ole Miss is a chance to prove something.  Western Michigan and Toledo are logcial MAC neighbors.  That's enough to test ourselves.

Apart from that I agree that it looks like a money-saver schedule on travel and maybe stocks a few early Ws.

On student fan draws, my cynical view has been that students aren't coming to the Nov.-Dec. games anyway unless it is Butler or a big name school. And those schools won't come to the ARC. It's more the season ticket fan base we turn off.  Save the money this year and hope we get some nice draws on weekend dates vs MVC teams. I wonder what our game ticket revenue for MVC vs non-conference?  Does anyone know?

talksalot

Just to throw this out there... I see the Stonehill (Easton Massachusetts) game on Wednesday 12/21..."Community Game"...Jason Karys is their assistant coach.  Another example of Valpo helping the new kids on the block.  Stonehill is playing at the Peoria Civic Center on Monday the 19th.

VALPO LI

Wouldn't it be great to hear the annual Union Street Hoops episode with Luke Gore talking about the 2022 Valpo Basketball schedule with Paul Oren?  It's been 260 days of silence  :-X
I NEED MY UNION STREET HOOPS!!!!!
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

3 Saturday games back to back at the ARC.
Starting
1/28 vs Evansville
2/4 vs Drake
2/11 vs Illinois State.

Only playing Missouri State and Southern Illinois once

Only 2 major road trips for the month of February
2/1 @ MoSt. and 2/26 @Murray State the other 2 are down state to Terre Haute and a short ride to Chicago.

I feel we drew well in Valley Play.
Shine on Vu

elephtheria47

I also feel we drew pretty well for league play and weekend games. And how exciting it is to see Belmont and Murray State on there 4 times. Lets gooo