• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-2023 Schedule

Started by VALPO LI, May 15, 2022, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Quote from: elephtheria47 on September 15, 2022, 01:08:12 PM
I also feel we drew pretty well for league play and weekend games. And how exciting it is to see Belmont and Murray State on there 4 times. Lets gooo

I feel that same - good draw for MVC play. I hope that the university markets the Murray State game heavily (especially to students). Need to get them interested and excited earlier than mid-January.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: vu72 on September 08, 2022, 08:21:53 AMBlue ribbon has us picked 8th! https://mvc-sports.com/news/2022/9/7/mens-basketball-blue-ribbon-yearbook-tabs-drake-as-mvc-mbb-favorite.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2B3UuEzodbBYSWvuyzQxOMb-mEfEiBooJFD_hf0tv5es8WCgPamhSpLbo
Nice to see they selected Krikke as First Team All MVC as well. We Gon' need big production from the Canadian if we expect to finish in the top half of the league. Has it been discussed what the MVC Tourney format will look like?

NotBryceDrew

Yeah they released the format a little while back, I believe it's first 4 have byes last eight play each other.

VU2014

Starting the season against Belmont & Murray State. I like it.

I know a lot of MVC Fans think Murray is going to come to the MVC and be an elite program and I disagree (new coach and cast of players). It will take time.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on September 18, 2022, 03:58:23 PMI know a lot of MVC Fans think Murray is going to come to the MVC and be an elite program and I disagree (new coach and cast of players). It will take time.

I'm not expecting great things from Murray this year, but with Steve Prohm back in the saddle Id expect them to be a strong top half pick for 23-24 and top third or better most years thereafter. I have difficulty imagining Prohm jumping ship from Murray a second time so they will likely have a solid coach and recruiter who will retain players better than most schools playing at our mid-major level.

Prohm is now 0-3 vs Valpo but by the end of the 24-25 season he may pull even or ahead.  ;)  [I just said that to start some fireworks! :)]

VUGrad1314

I've heard some say that their transfers look good but that's mostly from Murray fans so take it with a grain of salt. Everyone's optimistic before the season begins. I'm not sure what to believe. I think the league is going to be really wide open and hard to predict. I do think Drake is probably the favorite to win the league but there will be a lot of solid teams. Not sure about multibid prospects but nonconference will determine that. Also never thought that I would see any Valpo fan (seemingly) excited about an 8th place league finish but I guess that's where we are now. Hopefully we'll be better than that.

VALPO LI

Some good scheduling news.  In the Savannah Invitational/Hostilo Hoops Community Classic Valpo will play:
James Madison University Friday 11/25.
South Dakota State Saturday Saturday 11/26.

The Dukes from JMU finished the season 15-14 in the CAA and this year will start conference play in the Sun Belt.
South Dakota State finished the season 35-5 with going a perfect 18-0 in conference play.

https://enmarketarena.com/hhcclassic/
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 21, 2022, 12:11:37 PM
Some good scheduling news.  In the Savannah Invitational/Hostilo Hoops Community Classic Valpo will play:

The Dukes from JMU finished the season 15-14 in the CAA and this year will start conference play in the Sun Belt.
South Dakota State finished the season 35-5 with going a perfect 18-0 in conference play.

South Dakota State is a very good team to have on the schedule.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 21, 2022, 02:10:13 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on September 21, 2022, 12:11:37 PMSome good scheduling news.  In the Savannah Invitational/Hostilo Hoops Community Classic Valpo will play: James Madison University Friday 11/25. South Dakota State Saturday Saturday 11/26. The Dukes from JMU finished the season 15-14 in the CAA and this year will start conference play in the Sun Belt. South Dakota State finished the season 35-5 with going a perfect 18-0 in conference play. https://enmarketarena.com/hhcclassic/
South Dakota State is a very good team to have on the schedule.

I still hope that one day that will become a conference game. South Dakota State belongs in the MVC.

elephtheria47

SDSU just became the highlight on the schedule.  Fantastic program. Love watching them play.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 21, 2022, 12:11:37 PM

Interesting side note:
There are only 9 teams listed for this MTE.
Nicholls State is playing in another MTE.  This leaves no scheduled opponents for Fairfield on Friday, JMU on Saturday and Valpo on Sunday.
Who is Valpo playing on Sunday???
Is there a mystery team joining this MTE?
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 09, 2022, 02:46:07 PM
Wouldn't it be great to hear the annual Union Street Hoops episode with Luke Gore talking about the 2022 Valpo Basketball schedule with Paul Oren?  It's been 260 days of silence  :-X
I NEED MY UNION STREET HOOPS!!!!!

Asked and answered!!!!
Thank you. 
A great episode of "The Victory Bell: The Podcast" diving into the non conference schedule.  There is definitely a common word I hear a lot from Luke Gore and that is the "budget".  Explains why some games are on the schedule. -
Shine on Vu

crusadermoe

I guess most of us figured that the budget was driving the short road trips.  I bet they looked for more guarantee games to add to the Ole Miss one.

VUGrad1314

So financial realities dictate that it's going to be awhile (if ever) before we're a competitive MVC program. That doesn't inspire optimism.

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 27, 2022, 08:06:00 PM
So financial realities dictate that it's going to be awhile (if ever) before we're a competitive MVC program. That doesn't inspire optimism.

I would not want to be the person given the responsibility to market the non-conference games.

elephtheria47

As the saying goes,  it takes money to make money.

mj

I got the sense that we're having trouble scheduling teams because of the NET rankings. We're in a no-man's land because good programs won't schedule us because we're not a guaranteed loss but we're also no longer a "name" draw. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Now, it would be nice have additional travel dollars so we could schedule games around the country. I'll be interested in seeing if we can get a second game for next years Elon road trip. I'd love to see them try and play Virginia, Richmond, VCU, or Virginia Tech.

I believe that we will win.

FWalum

Quote from: mj on September 28, 2022, 10:37:06 AMI got the sense that we're having trouble scheduling teams because of the NET rankings. We're in a no-man's land because good programs won't schedule us because we're not a guaranteed loss but we're also no longer a "name" draw. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Talked at homecoming with a person who has first hand knowledge of the scheduling process. What Gore says in the interview about the constraints regarding the timing and reduced number of games is very true. Chasing fewer games that don't hurt the power 5 teams in the out of conference schedule is making things much more difficult than it already was, in some cases literally telling us we are F#{@king crazy. Budget plays a part in the equation, but not as big as what it is being made out to be. We are asking for games but it has to be the right time and place. mj is right in saying we're in a no-mans land right now.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 27, 2022, 09:43:33 AM
Wouldn't it be great to hear the annual Union Street Hoops episode with Luke Gore talking about the 2022 Valpo Basketball schedule with Paul Oren?  It's been 260 days of silence  :-X

Asked and answered!!!!
Thank you. 
A great episode of "The Victory Bell: The Podcast" diving into the non conference schedule.  There is definitely a common word I hear a lot from Luke Gore and that is the "budget".  Explains why some games are on the schedule. -

Did he mention who would be Valpo's 3rd opponent in the Savannah tourney or is that still TBD?

VALPO LI

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 29, 2022, 07:24:41 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on September 27, 2022, 09:43:33 AM

Asked and answered!!!!
Thank you. 

Did he mention who would be Valpo's 3rd opponent in the Savannah tourney or is that still TBD?

Still looks to be TBD!

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1575546197976023041
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

It would not surprise me if Valpo gets paired with a Non-D1 in Savannah. 
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Shine on Vu

jtm

EddieCabot

Thanks for the update, jtm.  Valpo website is now updated to reflect the Samford game and only two games in Savannah.

VALPO LI

Great get Valpo!   At Samford with a return home game next year at the ARC. 
JMU was not so lucky.  They drew a non D-1 in the Savannah Invitational.  That's why I was thinking Valpo would as well.  Pleasantly surprised by this news. :thumbsup:

https://www.coastalgeorgiasports.com/SIDHelp/m/a%7C3532.php
Shine on Vu