• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Alumni TBT team raising funds

Started by historyman, June 25, 2022, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

https://t.co/KBi8whocLt

Please support and share. # valpo

gofundme.com
Valpo Alumni Team TBT, organized by Jason Karys
We are fundraising $5,000 for our Valpo Alumni TBT team. TBT is an elite level basketball tournamen... Jason Karys needs your support for Valpo Alumni Team TBT

8:09 PM · Jun 24, 2022 from Texas, USA·Twitter for Android

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

If they are playing to raise money for a charity, it might help for them to advertise that. Otherwise, people are being asked to donate money so that other people can win money.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 25, 2022, 01:17:30 PM
If they are playing to raise money for a charity, it might help for them to advertise that. Otherwise, people are being asked to donate money so that other people can win money.

Jason Karys is organizing this fundraiser.

"We are fundraising $5,000 for our Valpo Alumni TBT team. TBT is an elite level basketball tournament that takes place every year. For our guys, this is a chance to take time out of their busy lives to reconnect and showcase the team chemistry and passion for each other that makes the Valpo Basketball tradition special.

This money will be used for transportation, food, and housing as these players take 3 weeks out of their summer to train and compete. Any donation is appreciated. Please reach out to our team email with any questions or if you have interest in being involved."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

David81

The Cru has been accepted into the tourney. This is pretty cool.

https://thetournament.com/teams/the-cru-valparaiso-alumni/

You can even buy gear: https://store.thetournament.com/shop/category/403980/?subcategory=22560

Only the winning team earns any money ($1m pot), so the fundraiser helps to cover expenses of playing.

elephtheria47

Actually not some bad gear. Thanks for sharing.

VALPO LI

Quote from: elephtheria47 on July 06, 2022, 08:01:52 PM
The logo is great...I really like the helmet in the brown and gold shield.  Just put my order in to represent The Cru.  :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

David81

Quote from: VALPO LI on July 07, 2022, 10:55:55 AM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on July 06, 2022, 08:01:52 PM
The logo is great...I really like the helmet in the brown and gold shield.  Just put my order in to represent The Cru.  :thumbsup:

I opted for a hoodie. It says "summer weight," but I'm guessing it'll be just right for an early New England fall.

valpo tundra

The team is coming into town on Sunday and will participate in practices July 11th through July 15th. The first game will be Saturday July 16th at 11:00am in Omaha, available by streaming only.

VUSWIM08-12

Anyone in the Omaha area going to the game in the morning ? Just moved to outside of Omaha 2 days ago n didn't realize they were playing at Creighton. Looks like the game is in their volleyball arena but still looks nice. Got me a $20 seat . My guess is it'll be dead but whatever I'll watch some ball in July!

valpo tundra

The Cru posted an 88-78 loss to the #1 seed with the reigning MVP and a very established team. Not bad for Jason Karys' team in their first year. Strong performances by Brandon Wood and Cory Johnson. An overall fun game to watch if you're a Valpo fan and some interesting rules to mix things up. Subsequent years will be far easier to manage now that the foundation has been laid. Add Broekhoff and Peters next year and then you've got a TBT competitor!

vu72

Quote from: valpo tundra on July 16, 2022, 02:20:54 PM
The Cru posted an 88-78 loss to the #1 seed with the reigning MVP and a very established team. Not bad for Jason Karys' team in their first year. Strong performances by Brandon Wood and Cory Johnson. An overall fun game to watch if you're a Valpo fan and some interesting rules to mix things up. Subsequent years will be far easier to manage now that the foundation has been laid. Add Broekhoff and Peters next year and then you've got a TBT competitor!

I watched the game and there were just too many sloppy turnovers brought on by just not really knowing each other. Brandon and Cory clicked because they were teammates at Valpo. Dority was also very good, but Brandon was Brandon. Smooth on smooth.  Hopefully some eyes were opened and he gets a high up offer from Europe.  I've heard that exposure in this tournament can lead to offers.  Brandon won the 3 point contest for this bracket and will now go to Dayton to match up with the winners of the other brackets for $33,333 prize.

It should be noted as well that Brandon was playing with a very heavy heart as the day he won the 3 point contest was his wife's birthday as well as his anniversary with her. She was killed in a car accident a few weeks back.  Very sad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

Is it one and done? Seems like if teams are willing to play it should at least be double elimination.

David81

A 10 pt loss to a top-seeded team isn't bad for a first time around. I hope they are back next year. This TBT is a cool concept!

valpotx

Geez, very sad to see about BWood's wife.  That is just terrible news, and my thoughts are with him and his/her family.
"Don't mess with Texas"