• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 6 Butler

Started by valpofb16, October 09, 2022, 11:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soapyjeans

Gotta stop being predictable, period.  Its pretty hard to win against a team that knows what your gonna do, lol. 

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on October 15, 2022, 05:18:44 PMDang, two missed extra points and a missed 38 yarder.  No FG is automatic, but those 2 extra points hurt, even with us blocking one of theirs.  It would have been OT, at a minimum, without blocked extra points.  Too bad...
Plus getting nothing on a two point try. I'm not a believer in chasing points and I didn't like going for 2 there.

valpofb16

Did Appel get hurt?

Kaplan has been very up and down.  San Diego he was the saving grace. He fought his tail off at Illinois state.

But I'm this game and IWU the offense stalled under him and big leads were given up.

Just hope there was a legitimate reason why nothing was changed when the lead started shrinking

vu72

Heart breaking loss, no doubt. Interesting as a few years back after we were curb stomped 72-12 we won the next game.  Lat year we basically did the stomping and then...of course, we handed them the game.  Still a shot at a title. The last time we won the PFL in 2003, we also lost to Butler that year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

And NDSU lost yesterday and first round playoff game with Valpo is still a reality! Road trip to Fargo! Big letdown for Valpo though, like USC trying to beat the officiating.

valpofb16

Think title talk should be curved.

Next three

@Morehead State ( last win @ '06)
@ Dayton (never in last 16 years)
Saint Thomas ( undefeated , beat Davidson)

Very realistic this team enters November 12 weekend 3-6

soapyjeans

Heartbreaking and frustrating, plenty of opportunities to score went up in smoke, even with minimum 2 plays left in game, the dang announcer was excitedly saying Jernegan in the endzone wide open...Then moaned, Kaplan doesn't see him.  Has anyone found out why a different kicker wasn't used when clearly Barthlomew was off?  At least we've seen some very impressive freshmen getting it done. 

David81

I was following the game remotely when they were up 13-0 and then had to break off, assuming that this was shaping into a big win for this program. I was stunned to see the final score.

For those of you watching the game, were the kicking game problems due to the overall execution of the kicking unit, or to the kicker simply missing the kicks, or both?

valpotx

Quote from: David81 on October 17, 2022, 10:30:24 AM
I was following the game remotely when they were up 13-0 and then had to break off, assuming that this was shaping into a big win for this program. I was stunned to see the final score.

For those of you watching the game, were the kicking game problems due to the overall execution of the kicking unit, or to the kicker simply missing the kicks, or both?

Same for me, as I left the mobile view up 13-0, as I had to coach 9U boy's soccer (win!).  I turn it back on when I get to the car, only to see that we lose 26-25
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Yeah. The offense wasn't all that great but the defense allowed a score for Butler every possession (save the kneel down) of the 2nd half. DL was dominated by Butler's OL.

STs? Whats the word I'm looking for. Oh...um....sucked. There's your word. Need a couple of points after TDs....not happenin. Need a big punt out of the end zone? How's 33 yards for you to give the opponents offense a 30 yard field late in the game. Need somebody to catch a kickoff. Well...we'll do it...but on the 2 yard line once we pick it up. Of course no one remembers because of the Dawson TD run.

valpofb16

Great Summary JD if Dawson doesn't break a once in a life time play Butler walks away.

Bartholomew missed his last kick at Presbyterian too. Definitely a slump going on.

Was it Maxwell or Vercher on the KR?

Season really on the line this week. Don't want to go sub .500 with two favorites left

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 17, 2022, 06:51:15 PMGreat Summary JD if Dawson doesn't break a once in a life time play Butler walks away. Bartholomew missed his last kick at Presbyterian too. Definitely a slump going on. Was it Maxwell or Vercher on the KR? Season really on the line this week.
I had the sound off because I was doing some work but looked like Vercher.

David81

I just watched Dawson's 99-yard TD run. Spectacular. It's tragic that they squandered the energy of one of the greatest single plays in program history.  :o

ProudCrusader

It was Vercher who muffed it...twice...they kicked away from Maxwell all day.

valpofb16

That's on staff for not having Becton back there who actually is the sure handed punt returner on the second muffed kick.

Talking to some other alum the Seewald / Appel situation is starting to look a little similar. Preseason shoulder injury , starts bud does not finish a few games. Hopefully not what we have on our hands as Jimmy was never the same