• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Chicago St. 11-16-22 7pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 15, 2022, 07:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotBryceDrew

IUPUI went 3-26 last season. Only 1 D1 win.

VUSERF

Even if Valpo plays out of their minds I am very pessimistic about a second half rally. Last major rally I remember was at Detroit  (2013 - 2014?) led by Capobianco.

This needs to be it. This needs to be the loss that finally gets Lottich fired. He has little support amongst the fanbase, the community is mostly apathetic, and students do not care about the program. Where is the upside of keeping Lame-Duck Lottich around?

VUGrad1314

I'd be very happy for Chicago State. If this wasn't happening against my alma mater and favorite team. I want to celebrate their success--God knows they deserve some good things happening to them and they should enjoy them--but why against us? This program has fallen so far so fast under Lottich. Will we ever get back to where we were under Bryce?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUSERF on November 16, 2022, 07:57:38 PM
Even if Valpo plays out of their minds I am very pessimistic about a second half rally. Last major rally I remember was at Detroit  (2013 - 2014?) led by Capobianco.

This needs to be it. This needs to be the loss that finally gets Lottich fired. He has little support amongst the fanbase, the community is mostly apathetic, and students do not care about the program. Where is the upside of keeping Lame-Duck Lottich around?

The only thing I can think of is the (I believe 2+ years left on his deal at God knows how much for a buyout... Can Valpo really afford to swallow that right now even if it's the right thing to do? Or are we stuck until the contract finally mercifully ends which I believe is in (sigh) 2025...

VUSWIM08-12

11-2 run in 2.5 minutes by Valpo to start the 2nd half, down 16...

AlaskaCrusader19

There is no defending this performance. Matt Lottich is a nice guy, but he's not cut out for this. Absolutely pathetic performance.

VUSWIM08-12

Green picks up his 4th foul for Valpo on a 3 :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:, down 19 now

valpotx

Wow, Green fouled out with 11 minutes of game action, and 15 minutes left in the game
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NotBryceDrew

Maybe Connor Barrett steps up big tonight with his shooting?

valporun

We last lost to the Cougars in 2006. This doesn't even make sense to play this game. Who thought this was a good idea?

may know

If you are in the financial position to do it, donate money to athletics earmarked for MBB ASAP. The faster everyone does it, the faster the contract's bought out.

valporun

Dr. Small won't make a move this quickly, but we will see what happens after this season for sure.

VUGrad1314

I know firing a coach causes  short term instability for a program but would it honestly be any worse than where we are right now? Could we really fall any lower than this? I almost feel like I'm tempting fate by even asking these questions and I'm honestly more than a little afraid of the answers. Still it has to be done and we must take the risk. The bottom line is that where we presently are is wholly unacceptable. Full stop.

valporun

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 16, 2022, 08:35:00 PM
I know firing a coach causes  short term instability for a program but would it honestly be any worse than where we are right now? Could we really fall any lower than this? I almost feel like I'm tempting fate by even asking these questions and I'm honestly more than a little afraid of the answers.

Not arguing your point, but would Dr. Small have enough sample size from his time watching Valpo basketball to make the switch right now? I would understand firing him after the season, or later in this season, but what do we know? Maybe the team was overconfident or had other things going on this week in preparing for this game that took them out of it?

covufan

Didn't pay to watch this mess.  How can we not be ready for Chicago State.  This is an embarrassment. Something needs to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskaCrusader19

If Dr. Small can't look at the results since Alec Peters left campus and realize that a change needs to be made, then Valpo hired the wrong athletic director.

vu84v2

It seems pretty simple to me. Chicago State, year in and year out, is the worst program in D1. Men's basketball is Valpo's marquee sport. Losing by 25 at the half and double digits late in the game cannot be acceptable.

I am sure that it is not acceptable to Matt Lottich and, by any account, he is a good guy - but this performance cannot be tolerated. Since the head coach is responsible for darn near everything in college basketball, his performance specifically cannot be tolerated. There may be no point in dismissing him now, but he cannot continue after this season unless there is some staggering turnaround.

valporun

One thing that Todd has been mentioning a lot is that the clock operator seems to not be paying attention to the clock at all. They haven't stopped it much at all.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valporun on November 16, 2022, 08:41:05 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 16, 2022, 08:35:00 PMI know firing a coach causes  short term instability for a program but would it honestly be any worse than where we are right now? Could we really fall any lower than this? I almost feel like I'm tempting fate by even asking these questions and I'm honestly more than a little afraid of the answers.
Not arguing your point, but would Dr. Small have enough sample size from his time watching Valpo basketball to make the switch right now? I would understand firing him after the season, or later in this season, but what do we know? Maybe the team was overconfident or had other things going on this week in preparing for this game that took them out of it?

With all due respect what more sample size do we need? Barely squeaked by a D2 in an exhibition, got drubbed by Toledo, beat Western Michigan, got hammered by Chicago State. Overconfident? I would have hoped after Krikke's comments post Toledo that would not have been an issue but apparently it still is. Respectfully, what has this program done in the past several years to be walking around overconfident in any game? I know I obviously was overconfident going into this game, but I am not a player and have the benefit of having watched them play and beat Chicago State numerous times).  I'm sorry. When your other results have been far from stellar and you lose by double digits to Chicago State there really shouldn't be any wait and see. If it's not with this loss where does it end?

vu84v2

Quote from: valporun on November 16, 2022, 08:41:05 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 16, 2022, 08:35:00 PM
I know firing a coach causes  short term instability for a program but would it honestly be any worse than where we are right now? Could we really fall any lower than this? I almost feel like I'm tempting fate by even asking these questions and I'm honestly more than a little afraid of the answers.

The sample size is six seasons. Dr. Small cannot just evaluate any coach's performance since he stated as AD.

valpotx

I know that Chicago State shot out of this world in the first half, and was 27/28 from the FT line, but losing to Chicago State is inexcusable.  Add 1 to the Fire Lottich crowd.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Quote from: covufan on November 16, 2022, 08:42:30 PM
Didn't pay to watch this mess.  How can we not be ready for Chicago State.  This is an embarrassment. Something needs to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. CHARLES SMALL
ValpoAD@valpo.edu
For those who feel the need to take it to the top.

Shine on Vu

valpofb16

If Padilla and Small want to keep all their eggs in the basketball basket then the situation needs to be corrected before it deteriorates anymore.

I saw someone mention tournament , let's finish first in the MVC first.

In terms of putting all their financial eggs in basketballs pockets..... I think it was smart with the Valpo based Drew's. Not sure the crowds are there anymore and the alumni base is as lucrative

rogerwilco

Dr. Small should be on the phone with Jake Diebler right now.