• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on March 12, 2023, 12:38:36 PM
Tom Kleinschmidt from De Paul College Prep.

Maybe an explanation on why Kleinschmidt would be a good fit at Valpo would be in order here.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 12, 2023, 08:02:11 PM
Bryce going to the dance again.

Was talking to a buddy who coached soccer at Grand Canyon
During Bryce's first year.  He told me that Grand Canyon budget is 4x larger than the next school in the WAC and that he should go to the tourney every year (though he was a 5 seed in the WAC). 

So the opposite of his time at valpo. 

When Bryce started at GCU, the WAC was a mere skeleton. It was on the verge of non-existence. After they gobbled up a large portion of the Texas part of the Southland Conference...they'll be challenged now.

valporun

Quote from: historyman on March 13, 2023, 03:36:09 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on March 12, 2023, 12:38:36 PM
Tom Kleinschmidt from De Paul College Prep.

Maybe an explanation on why Kleinschmidt would be a good fit at Valpo would be in order here.

Kleinschmidt is way too Catholic! Other than Padilla being at Valpo, there is nothing at Valpo for Kleinschmidt to leave DePaul College Prep for. Kleinschmidt maybe be in consideration down the road as an assistant on the DePaul staff, depending on what happens with the current head coach.

mp91

Another name to kick around is Kellen Sampson.

He is the head-coach-in-waiting, but might be worth giving him a call just in case he doesn't want to wait for his dad to retire. Widely regarded as one of the top assistant coaches in the country.

He could get better offers and, financially, probably would make about the same salary as he currently does as an assistant (reportedly around $300,000), so it make more sense for him to just wait. But, you never know.

Plus, we can get some Indiana/Sampson family redemption!

oklahomamick

Love his dad.  He's either waiting for him to retire or take the Texas tech job. 
CRUSADERS!!!

elephtheria47

Its been too long. With all the portaling today and players now available, we need to get a start on recruiting them. Since nothing has been announced or even signaled/leaked, im getting the feeling that ML will be back next year.

And if a change still does happen, its another roadblock for the program and successor unless they have done all of this on the sly and will have a replacement named shortley thereafter (unlikely).

VU2014

Judging how we're actively recruiting the transfer market apparently, it sounds more and more like Lottich is coming back.

Paul, said wait until we get closer to the Final 4 for more potential news.

valpo64

Here is food for thought...could it be  someone other than Matt L who is fishing the transfer portal trying to get a behind the scenes jump on things for next year before any coaching change is announced?

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on March 14, 2023, 07:31:13 AM
Here is food for thought...could it be  someone other than Matt L who is fishing the transfer portal trying to get a behind the scenes jump on things for next year before any coaching change is announced?

Yes, maybe a coach currently with a school in Arizona that will be playing in Denver and eating Rocky Mountain Oysters is fishing the transfer portal for Valpo and will take the Valpo head job after his "Grand" team exits (or wins :-)) the Big Dance. Think about the fact that Dr. Small visited with a certain coach and his father and got a pic taken and posted it.

One can always dream big.   :P
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

Uh.   Visit Grand Canyon University if you ever get the chance. 

Sunshine 90% of the time.  80% of the facilities are new.  Attendance in their 7,000 seat arena were filled at 102% this year. 

So you're telling me there's a chance.  Offer him the O'Keefe?  It does fall into the southwest genre.

historyman

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 15, 2023, 03:09:30 PM
Uh.   Visit Grand Canyon University if you ever get the chance. 

Sunshine 90% of the time.  80% of the facilities are new.  Attendance in their 7,000 seat arena were filled at 102% this year. 

So you're telling me there's a chance.  Offer him the O'Keefe?  It does fall into the southwest genre.

fa·ce·tious
/fəˈsēSHəs/
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
"a facetious remark"

Dr. T

Well, I for one have my mind changed now! We're for sure progressing nicely with this BIG TIME news.

VU2014

Quote from: Dr. T on March 16, 2023, 09:42:31 PM
Well, I for one have my mind changed now! We're for sure progressing nicely with this BIG TIME news.

I have no insider knowledge, but my gut says no changes are coming... the AD needs to make some kind of indirect comment. If they are sticking with ML, give some kind of signal to fans about the future

elephtheria47

People stopped supporting the program. Has anyone stepped up to buy out the contract? Seems likely not, and were stuck between a rock and a hardspot, so we will continue on.

historyman

You know reflectively the only group that I have heard besides my few friends that I talk to about Valpo MBB and this message board no one has expressed disatisfaction with the head coach. If you were forced into the decision about keeping the head coach how would you handle it?

usc4valpo

Historyman - this shows the apathy or lack of interest toward the basketball program. I would presume most don't care whether or not Lottich gets dismissed.  Sad situation.

truth219

There was an article written about Matt being on the hot seat. It is a know topic. The university needs to do the proper thing and address it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 17, 2023, 06:06:20 AM
Historyman - this shows the apathy or lack of interest toward the basketball program. I would presume most don't care whether or not Lottich gets dismissed.  Sad situation.

I'm sorry, what did you say, I wasn't paying attention.
:-)

It will work out. When does GCU play? When will the Lopes season be over?

approximately 6:35 pm CDT tonight. It might all be over soon.

Just Sayin

Quote from: historyman on March 17, 2023, 07:45:00 AM

Perhaps Bryce is practicing Pacers getting ready for a long run?

Dr. T

Though I have not personally reached out to express my desire to help pay for the buy-out of ML, I have tried contacting the AD as a donor & alum to express my thoughts & concerns. My email was sent back in January. No response.

When receiving the mail asking for donations etc. - I read through the literature and thought about it for a few days. Then, I ended up recycling it. I will not financially support the institution unless/until it's apparent that the concerns are being heard.

I would, however, support specific NIL-related deals that I'm confident directly support the athletes if they were made known. I am not in a position to make decisions concerning the direction of the program. I'm just a fan, VU grad, & resident. All conjecture on my behalf concerning what should be done is purely subjective and carries no weight. But, I can only do my part to try and voice such concerns.

We live in a much different world than the one that existed a few years ago, let alone when I attended VU. More than ever, the ease of access to entertainment is at a finger length's distance. So, it's relatively easy to find entertainment when needed with or without VU. I'd prefer to allocate my time & monies to VU for such entertainment. When it's no longer entertaining, however, it's hard to justify doing so.

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 17, 2023, 08:36:26 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 17, 2023, 07:45:00 AM

Perhaps Bryce is practicing Pacers getting ready for a long run?

I think some of you will be surprised what Homer & Bryce think of Valpo & their home town. Why would they even talk to Dr. Small in the middle of a basketball season?

NativeCheesehead

I reached out to both MLB and the compliance department last year with some questions about NIL and what would be permissible. Two voicemails and two emails: Zero response.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 17, 2023, 10:13:17 AM
I reached out to both MLB and the compliance department last year with some questions about NIL and what would be permissible. Two voicemails and two emails: Zero response.

You have to admire their consistency