• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 25, 2023, 11:30:44 AM
Quote from: wh on March 24, 2023, 05:50:27 PM
54% of D-1 men's bb players are black. Only 24% of D-1 coaches are black. Valpo's % of black and Hispanic faculty members is disgracefully low. A Hispanic President and an African American AD is a good start toward changing that dynamic. Let's keep it going.
How about hiring the coach best suited to make Valparaiso competitive in the Missouri Valley regardless of color?

lol I think this is exactly the point the statistic is making. If over half of the players in college basketball are black, but only 1/4 of the coaches are black, then statistics indicate that there are several qualified black candidates that aren't getting opportunities that they should. So, it's not only a ethical/mission-based decision but also attacking a market inefficiency. Therefore, hiring the best suited candidate and exploring a diversity hire are often the same thing.(PS – the idea that any administration would hire someone only because they are black even if they not qualified is a ridiculous take. This would never happen. This is just an excuse used to perpetuate a cycle of the same people over and over getting opportunities. Not saying this is your opinion, just saying have to be cognizant of this false narrative/red herring.)

I think the religious point proffered is an excellent consideration. Not sure if there is necessarily a right answer to the question: is religion helping or harming recruiting? This is a point that definitely should be given much thought. Some programs like Baylor use it to their advantage. But, they are in a much different situation than Valpo. Personally, I tend to be more in the "let's not over emphasize religion" camp. But, I also feel like it is a coach's decision. The coach has to be authentic. If that is part of his personality, then go for it. Yet, in terms of the administration, I don't think we have to say "it has to be" or even "it should be" a religious guy.

Love Diebler. Awesome guy. Just not sure if he wants to leave Ohio State just yet. If he is ready to come to Valpo, I'm down!

Side note: I wonder if we could try to bring back Erik Buggs as an assistant coach (particularly if a familiar face takes over). He has been doing quite well in Tennessee. Would love to see him back at Valpo. Just not sure if he wants to leave Memphis.

78crusader

I was against the Lottich termination.

We have likely lost Krikke and a top recruit as a result of this move.

Coach Lottich had more than his fair share of bad luck, and his hiring coincided with the move to a much, much tougher conference - a factor much overlooked IMO in assessing the job he did here. He also upheld the integrity and character of the program, two factors that were, again, not given enough weight in judging his overall performance.  And you couldn't ask for a better representative of this university.

Paul

historyman

Quote from: 78crusader on March 27, 2023, 04:22:54 PM

Coach Lottich had more than his fair share of bad luck, and his hiring coincided with the move to a much, much tougher conference - a factor much overlooked IMO in assessing the job he did here. He also upheld the integrity and character of the program, two factors that were, again, not given enough weight in judging his overall performance.  And you couldn't ask for a better representative of this university.

All true. But in the end and before he will ever win as a head coach, Matt needs, as the Brits say, "proper training" under a head coach that will teach him a great deal.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Quote from: 78crusader on March 27, 2023, 04:22:54 PM

Paul

The band aid needed to ripped off. We had an all-conference level player and we're still a bottom dweller in the MVC. If Krikke returned and we lost Kobe, did you expect different results.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Bad luck can hold up as an excuse for 1-2 seasons, maybe 3 but the proof was in the pudding. 7 years is enough of a sample size to know he wasn't up to the job or ready for the job when he got it.

oklahomamick

78crusader -

Lottich had bad luck? 

Him being hired to be head coach at valpo was lucky.  Being at the right place at the right time.

What d1 program hires a 4th assistant to be the head coach?

He was lucky to be hired as head coach, he was lucky to inherit Alec peters and that senior class.  He didn't recruit those players.  I've seen the players Lottich recruited.  He was lucky to inherit a program that was coming off multiple conference championships and a couple NCAAT appearances.  Lucky is the word you're looking for. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

A little disappointed in the fan base not getting behind a good valpo basketball player who has been on the bench coaching for a long time.  He also part of national championship team and a program that has been much better than Ohio state in the last decade.

don't look to Ohio state.  Look south to the big12 and Baylor's Jared Nunes. 
CRUSADERS!!!

IndyValpo

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 27, 2023, 07:18:36 PM
A little disappointed in the fan base not getting behind a good valpo basketball player who has been on the bench coaching for a long time.  He also part of national championship team and a program that has been much better than Ohio state in the last decade.

don't look to Ohio state.  Look south to the big12 and Baylor's Jared Nunes. 
I love the guy and would love to have him on the staff but in 13 years at Baylor he has been an assistant coach for 1 year. He has an a variety of roles, but...

Chairback

Just thinking about a timeline, I would assume we would have our coach by Monday.  Maybe not officially announced but very soon after. 

You can't go without a head coach for very long. And I'm willing to bet this was in process well before the Thursday announcement.   That search firm no doubt had to be already vetted and an agreement signed WELL before Thursday's announcement. Talks with them probably started the week of 3/6-3/10 if not sooner or even initial discussions towards the end of the season.  Certainly if funds are needed this conversation started awhile ago  for timing of approvals.  I'm sure Valpo U's lawyers went over the contract for a week and puts you at 3/13-3/17.  3/20 the search firm starts recruitment process with confidentiality, official announcement happens 3/23. 

Something will get leaked before the end of the week.     

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

If Small is at the Final Four, I'd push it to Wednesday to tie up loose ends and prepare a presser.

bigmosmithfan_2

Very glad to hear that Valpo wants to try to save the program by making this move. I'm probably outside the mainstream here in that I absolutely do not want VU to limit this search to Valpo alums or the Drew coaching tree or whatever. If there are candidates who make sense from that group to interview, great, but that shouldn't be the determining factor. If you can get a guy like McCollum or a talented HC from a low-major D1 or a promising P5 assistant who have no ties to Valpo, you go get them if they are the best person for the job.

Now for the caveat: while we absolutely, positively have to get this hire right, that's only half of the job. Even the best candidate is going to have their hands tied in recruiting if VU isn't taking tangible, active steps to address the facilities issue. If another coaching staff comes and goes without any movement on this front, this program is going to be consigned to struggle for the long haul. This has to be a priority on a parallel path with getting the new staff in place. And quite frankly, any good coach worth having is going to demand it, as well. 

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 27, 2023, 08:53:25 PMIf Small is at the Final Four, I'd push it to Wednesday to tie up loose ends and prepare a presser.
Probably right on a Wednesday presser but I'd bet we hear the name a day or two prior. Somebody will spill the beans somewhere.

usc4valpo

Evaluate thoroughly, then execute quickly. Think this through and take time as needed, it is an important decision for the long term, not just for recruiting this year.

It took Valpo 3 weeks after the end of the season to fire Lottich, why would they want to hire a new coach within a week?

Keep all options open, whether or not candidates have Valpo roots. It should not have relevance in making the right decision.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 28, 2023, 06:03:29 AM
Evaluate thoroughly, then execute quickly. Think this through and take time as needed, it is an important decision for the long term, not just for recruiting this year.

It took Valpo 3 weeks after the end of the season to fire Lottich, why would they want to hire a new coach within a week?

Keep all options open, whether or not candidates have Valpo roots. It should not have relevance in making the right decision.

I really wonder why it took 3 weeks. This will never be mentioned publicly but if had to guess it had to do with securing funding for the buyout.

JD24

Quote from: VU2014 on March 28, 2023, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 28, 2023, 06:03:29 AMEvaluate thoroughly, then execute quickly. Think this through and take time as needed, it is an important decision for the long term, not just for recruiting this year. It took Valpo 3 weeks after the end of the season to fire Lottich, why would they want to hire a new coach within a week? Keep all options open, whether or not candidates have Valpo roots. It should not have relevance in making the right decision.
I really wonder why it took 3 weeks. This will never be mentioned publicly but if had to guess it had to do with securing funding for the buyout.
If the school was waiting for the end of the season to begin securing funding, then they really are inept. Should have been an ongoing process as part of the ongoing evaluation of the coach.

It's possible that Valpo was waiting to contact prospective coaches to gauge interest to make sure the right guy(s) at the right price would be available before dumping Lottich. Otherwise I have no idea why it took 3 weeks.

Chairback

Will be interesting to see the impact of a new coach on our scheduling.  I have to assume it will improve.  Are the excuses we have used in the past legit and just what we were comfortable with and used to. 

Excited to find out.     

crusader05

Based on Smalls interview with Paul Oren it seemed he wanted to give Lotticj a chance to present a plan for improvement and evaluate afterward. Clearly after hearing the plan he didn't feel confident enough it would be successful or he felt that Lottichs assessment of team needs was off base based on what he observed.  Charles seems both patient and careful yet also decisive so it makes sense he took this approach. I'm sure putting out feelers related to interest was another piece. We need a big upgrade at coach ti make this move worth it financially

valpo64

All of this coaching change talk and backround stuff didn't happen in a day of so of Matt's firing.  You can bet that Dr. Small has been working on this problem for weeks or months prior to letting Matt go.  I feel very confident that Dr. Small had already compiled a list of potential candidates prior to last week and also did some homework on any possible new hire.

VULB#62

If Small has his list, how much added value (at a 30% commission) does the search firm bring other than providing a buffer between Small and all potential applicants?  IDK, so just wondering.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on March 28, 2023, 01:31:02 PM
Based on Smalls interview with Paul Oren it seemed he wanted to give Lotticj a chance to present a plan for improvement and evaluate afterward. Clearly after hearing the plan he didn't feel confident enough it would be successful or he felt that Lottichs assessment of team needs was off base based on what he observed.  Charles seems both patient and careful yet also decisive so it makes sense he took this approach. I'm sure putting out feelers related to interest was another piece. We need a big upgrade at coach ti make this move worth it financially

The new AD at Vanderbilt hired because the former AD died told Bryce to prepare his plan for improvement for next year. Bryce did that and on his way to present it, he was fired.

mp91

Hearing Ed Schilling is in play. Not sure if he has interviewed, but definitely is a potential target.

Obviously, great track record with IU, UCLA, Memphis, and GCU. From Indiana. Connections to Bryce, Woodson, Alford, and Calipari.

His name came up a couple times. And a source confirmed there is some fire behind the smoke. So we'll see.

tiny707

Chairback

So who is going to break the story first?   Come on PO don't let Norlander beat you to it!  A Victory Bell tweet breaking it helps exposure.   Let's go PO! 

tiny707

If they hire Ed Shilling, who does Bryce replace him with? Luke Gore? Matt?

tiny707

Chairback, wonder if they want to make an announcement before tip off on Saturday?