• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 02, 2023, 07:10:13 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on April 02, 2023, 03:16:28 PM
Given Padilla's heightened interest in hiring minorities, someone like Greg or Schilling may be at the bottom of the list, if at all. I'd love to see Tonagel get the job and I'm betting that he will. If Schilling was let go early in his contract, does it matter how long he has been coaching?  He would be a bad choice in my view. Greg is squeaky clean.

From an outsider's perspective, I think Just Sayin is spot on regarding the emphasis likely to be placed on diversity in the hiring.  My 'read of the room' is that this is a priority.

If that's right, someone like Tonagel might not be a priority. 

I talked to a Valpo Alum who works in another collegiate athletics department and this was brought out up.

Dr. Small was in charge of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at the Iowa State athletics department. The person speculated that a minority candidate might have an edge in the hiring process. Not sure if it's true or not, but I'd thought I'd share with the board.

I just want the best coach possible and someone who fits Valpo's culture.

tiny707

Hard no on Chris Lowery and Cuonzo Martin. Roger Powell not leaving Gonzaga, JR Blount not leaving Iowa State, Knight makes too much at Rutgers. Haven't heard much rumblings on Terry Johnson from Purdue recently.

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on April 02, 2023, 07:53:54 PM
Hard no on Chris Lowery and Cuonzo Martin. Roger Powell not leaving Gonzaga, JR Blount not leaving Iowa State, Knight makes too much at Rutgers. Haven't heard much rumblings on Terry Johnson from Purdue recently.

On Paul's latest podcast, he did throw out the name Emanuel Dildy, but sounded like more of speculated fit for Valpo. Dildy is known as a great recruiter. He was primary recruiter for JFL

tiny707

The Greg Tonagel video talking about fear and running a fearless program inspired me. That is when it clicked for him. Then The Championships started happening. He realized you can do both: win and be a disciple. Not either or. Matt Painer gave him a good plug on the IWU website. I Am Third.

Dr. T

In my opinion, the sentiments regarding Greg Tonagel's Christianity and the expressed fears about his ideological beliefs are a testament to his integrity. If his Christianity is cause for concern, he wouldn't want to be here anyhow.

Yes, he's a Christian. Yes, he's passionate about his faith. Yes, he lives with intentionality. Yes, he lives with integrity. As a Christian, he has a love for God, no doubt. And, he has a love for others. That said, do folks honestly believe he doesn't also love basketball?

He's a basketball coach. He doesn't have to be one - he chooses to be one. Guess what - he was a basketball player. Was his playing career defined by his beliefs? Yes, he led bible studies. And, he was a leader on the court. What if it didn't have to be this OR that? What if someone could be an all-in-Christ follower AND a successful basketball coach?

tiny707

Agree Dr. T:

Scott Drew is an all in Christ follower and won a national championship.

Tang is an all in Christ follower and successful at Kansas State.

Bryce Drew is an all in Christ follower and has gone to NCAA twice at GCU.

Dr. T

While he's likely not ready to be a head coach, I'd love to see Erik Buggs back in the brown & gold. He's currently an assistant coach and the lead recruiting coordinator at the University of Tennessee Martin. He coached in the high school ranks and worked his way up to UTM. I know he's in Houston right now for the championship. At a bare minimum, I'm hoping he can meet Dr. Small and so forth.

https://utmsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/erik-buggs/524

David81

Quote from: Dr. T on April 02, 2023, 09:14:10 PM
In my opinion, the sentiments regarding Greg Tonagel's Christianity and the expressed fears about his ideological beliefs are a testament to his integrity. If his Christianity is cause for concern, he wouldn't want to be here anyhow.

Yes, he's a Christian. Yes, he's passionate about his faith. Yes, he lives with intentionality. Yes, he lives with integrity. As a Christian, he has a love for God, no doubt. And, he has a love for others. That said, do folks honestly believe he doesn't also love basketball?

He's a basketball coach. He doesn't have to be one - he chooses to be one. Guess what - he was a basketball player. Was his playing career defined by his beliefs? Yes, he led bible studies. And, he was a leader on the court. What if it didn't have to be this OR that? What if someone could be an all-in-Christ follower AND a successful basketball coach?

At Indiana Wesleyan, Tonagel has been able to blend his devotion to faith and his devotion to basketball. I'm guessing he's been able to do it somewhat seamlessly, which is great for him and his school.

Assuming he's a contender for the job, is Valpo a good a fit on both measures for him? VU has a more diverse student population, especially in terms of faith. And he'll be recruiting and coaching a D1 roster drawn from a more diverse talent pool as well. However, I think it's fair to say that at the mid-major level -- his logical entry point into D1-- Valpo is a known quantity to him, and one that likely remains a special place for him.

vu84v2

Quote from: Dr. T on April 02, 2023, 09:14:10 PM

There is nothing wrong with being strong in whatever faith you follow. Indeed, as mentioned in another post, the Drews are very strong in their faith. The issue is evangelizing and proselytizing in the workplace. Players, students, staff, etc. all also have a right to their own beliefs and should not be faced with anyone - and especially someone in authority - who pushes their beliefs on them. From everything I know, the Drews did not push their faith on anyone else (though they were strong in their faith). If Greg Tonagel was coach and followed the same principles, then there would not be a problem.

VUGrad1314

I just want Valpo to win. If the new coach is strong in their faith and wins great. If the new coach is not strong in their faith and wins great. I agree that it shouldn't be pushed on anyone and should remain a personal matter and the new coach needs to respect that but the bottom line is winning. Just win.

Just Sayin

QuoteValparaiso
Out: Matt Lottich
A late firing in the process, but one that came after the buyout dropped, I was told. This is a small-time program with a big-time name at that level. A few early candidates have turned Valpo down, but be on the lookout for this job to close in the coming days.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-changes-2023-texas-penn-state-vcu-and-cal-all-fill-vacancies/

tiny707

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 03, 2023, 06:23:45 AM
QuoteValparaiso
A late firing in the process, but one that came after the buyout dropped, I was told. This is a small-time program with a big-time name at that level. A few early candidates have turned Valpo down, but be on the lookout for this job to close in the coming days.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-changes-2023-texas-penn-state-vcu-and-cal-all-fill-vacancies/
Norlander is as well-connected as any. Interesting.

crusader05

I think Big Time Name refers to the Valpo brand vs the coach that's coming in but I could be miss reading it.

tiny707

Crusader05, you are correct after reading again. Good catch.

tiny707

If those three names are correct looks like three from Drew coaching tree and one with connection to Small. Valpopal May be correct with his prediction a long time ago. We will see...

Dr. T

Looking at the language:

-- Like others, I take "a big-time name at that level" to mean it's a small school with a relatively big brand.

Also, I don't discredit Valpo for having stretch goals. Ex: Why not extend an offer to a coach that could be considered "out of reach"? Good for Dr. Small & Co. to put themselves out there. The worst case = is being turned down. Who cares? At least they can leave the process knowing they did their due diligence and didn't restrict themselves with unnecessary boundaries.

chgovalpofan

The coaching change has definitely made me excited for the future, which is not something I've felt for a while. Change is good.

Wonder where Matt will land. I'm still betting it's an assistant job.  I know others disagree and that's okay.

Just Sayin

Trilly Donovan:

One more for Valpo, per @samurai_hoops is Roger Powell (Gonzaga).

tiny707

VULB#62

No one commented on what I put in BOLD. First time, at least for me, that such a statement became public.

QuoteValparaiso

elephtheria47

Pleasantly surprised by the names being mentioned. Just hoping we have enough money left to get some good ACs as well.

4throwfan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2023, 09:38:05 AM
No one commented on what I put in BOLD. First time, at least for me, that such a statement became public.

QuoteValparaiso

62, I don't know what that bold portion means.  Do you?  I was wondering whether you were surprised that the statement was made public, or that it occurred at all.