• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on April 03, 2023, 07:50:18 AMI think Big Time Name refers to the Valpo brand vs the coach that's coming in but I could be miss reading it.
That's what I thought as well.

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 03, 2023, 08:39:49 AMTrilly Donovan: One more for Valpo, per @samurai_hoops is Roger Powell (Gonzaga).
Nice of Trilly to admit he reads this board.

VULB#62

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 03, 2023, 11:30:40 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2023, 09:38:05 AM
No one commented on what I put in BOLD. First time, at least for me, that such a statement became public.

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 03, 2023, 06:23:45 AM
QuoteValparaiso
Out: Matt Lottich
A late firing in the process, but one that came after the buyout dropped, I was told. This is a small-time program with a big-time name at that level. A few early candidates have turned Valpo down, but be on the lookout for this job to close in the coming days.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-changes-2023-texas-penn-state-vcu-and-cal-all-fill-vacancies/

62, I don't know what that bold portion means.  Do you?  I was wondering whether you were surprised that the statement was made public, or that it occurred at all.

I took it to mean that perhaps, just perhaps somehow, a buy-out no longer applied, and that freed up Small to make the decision to let Matt go ?????? That also could have been a strategic leak to take some pressure off the athletic department, but IDK, these guys on Twitter sometimes make stuff up.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2023, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: 4throwfan on April 03, 2023, 11:30:40 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2023, 09:38:05 AM
No one commented on what I put in BOLD. First time, at least for me, that such a statement became public.

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 03, 2023, 06:23:45 AM
QuoteValparaiso
Out: Matt Lottich
A late firing in the process, but one that came after the buyout dropped, I was told. This is a small-time program with a big-time name at that level. A few early candidates have turned Valpo down, but be on the lookout for this job to close in the coming days.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-changes-2023-texas-penn-state-vcu-and-cal-all-fill-vacancies/

62, I don't know what that bold portion means.  Do you?  I was wondering whether you were surprised that the statement was made public, or that it occurred at all.

I took it to mean that perhaps, just perhaps somehow, a buy-out no longer applied, and that freed up Small top make the decision to let Matt go ?????? That also could have been a strategic leak to take some pressure off the athletic department, but IDK, these guys on Twitter sometimes make stuff up.
I am 99% sure Norlander would've heard that from Lottich's agent. Most of the top voices in national college football and basketball media get their info from agents. He's pretty reputable, though, so I don't doubt it.

David81

I assume that Small & Padilla would not fall for a "name" that makes an immediate headline splash but isn't the right guy for the program and the school.

Even the most anonymous choice won't be for long if he succeeds.

I wonder who turned us down??????

4throwfan

Quote from: David81 on April 03, 2023, 05:16:33 PM
I assume that Small & Padilla would not fall for a "name" that makes an immediate headline splash but isn't the right guy for the program and the school.

Even the most anonymous choice won't be for long if he succeeds.

I wonder who turned us down??????

I'm curious too, but they may not have turned down the school, but rather the offer.  Might be higher offers elsewhere.

VU2014

Keep in mind it's advantageous to the school to get that buyout news out. It's a small PR win for a school in financial trouble

VU2014

My gut* says Ed Schilling is going to get the job.

I hope it's Jake Diebler, but I can't get a sense of who is in or out right now. The people who are in the know are aren't talking.

Valpo1993

Quote from: VU2014 on April 03, 2023, 08:04:34 PM
My guy says Ed Schilling is going to get the job.

I hope it's Jake Diebler, but I can't get a sense of who is in or out right now. The people who are in the know are aren't talking.
My knowledge is based on history.  Based on past history Schillings run with Wright state is not impressive.   At least Tonagel has a winning program.   For those of you who say it's NAIA Homer came from Bethel an NAIA school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

No! Not Schilling. 

I do not believe he has that fire in his gut. This program requires a go-getter with a demonstrated plan for success.  The only thing Schilling has to prove is that he has learned a lot by being an assistant since Wright State many years ago.  His leadership of a successful program has never been demonstrated. OTOH, Greg has never had a losing season - ever -  since he took the IWU job at, what, 24. And he has three national championships under his belt along the way.

But Greg might have been one of the turn-downs.  Who knows?

JD24

We have no idea whether Tonegal is an option at all. He may just not want to leave.

That said, Schilling doesn't have the profile I'd like. Either a lower Div HC looking to move up or a young assistant looking to make his mark. This has less to do with Schilling's experience as a HC and more that his profile is that of a professional assistant coach.

Just Sayin

Is your guy drinking?  Schilling would  be Lottich lite.
Look at his record.

Just Sayin

Every coaching change made by teams looking for the best coach hire winners who have demonstrated a winning record. Coaches who get fired typically have losing records. Why would Valpo jump out of the frying pan into the fire by hiring someone who has never had a winning record like Schilling? That would be pure stupidity. Wait longer if you must. Surely you can do better than a wish and a hope from someone whose primary resume is one as an assistant coach and whose only head coaching job was pathetic.

If you think the fan base is angry at the mediocrity we've experienced the past 7 years, just wait until they come to realize the new coach is more of the same. Geesh.

wh

What would motivate a 57-year-old who hasn't been a head coach for 20 years to apply for this job? Or, has he been applying for every mid-major vacancy for 20 years, and Valpo is the only program desperate enough to take him? This has to be a belated April Fools joke. Even if it's true, it's still an April Fools joke.

tiny707

Everyone chill. Wright State was 20 years ago. Since then he has worked at Memphis, UCLA and IU. Under Calipari, Steve Alford and Archie Miller. Been a coach at March Madness. Knows Indiana for recruiting. Worked at Adidas Nations for player development. Did Lottich develop players or have any of the above experience? Maybe his has a fire to prove everyone wrong as a head coach. I think the candidates everyone wanted either withdrew, said no or weren't interested for whatever every reason. He wants to be at Valpo. Are there any other suggestions of names not mentioned that would come to Valpo with our facilities, salary and financial situation? He is also a man of faith. We are a Christian University so that is part of the gig too. I would suggest watching the You Tube video from GCU from 4-7-20 when he got hired to learn more about him. Assistants with no prior experience are a crap shoot. Porter Moser sucked at ISU. Got Loyola to Final Four and now at Oklahoma. I guess Matt Lottich should never get hired 20 years from now. I have no idea if Ed is the new coach. We will see. Trust the hiring process. Trust Small. Trust the Drew Coaching Tree.

tiny707

I also would not be shocked if Ed kept Luke Gore and hired Eric Buggs. Not like teams were knocking on our door for our assistant coaches. Matt Lottich has no coaching tree except for Emanuel Dildy and Austin Peters.

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo1993 on April 03, 2023, 08:10:40 PM

My knowledge is based on history.  Based on past history Schillings run with Wright state is not impressive.   At least Tonagel has a winning program.   For those of you who say it's NAIA Homer came from Bethel an NAIA school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there has been an assumption that Tonagel would take the job if offered. Maybe we need to reconsider our preconceived assumptions.

There is a story (possibly many) to be written about who were the names involved in the search and who were legitimate options.

tiny707

VU2014, maybe Wright State should have given Ed the last three years? Homer first few years sucked at Valpo. Scott's first few years sucked at Baylor. Takes time back then. No portal. Look at his history post Wright State. I just don't think Greg, Jake, Roger, or Knight are options. Lowery and Martin are hard no for me. Not much left. Been two weeks.

VU2014

I don't really want Ed Schilling over Jake, Roger or Greg, but I don't want knock the guy.

I'll pose a question to the board. In your careers have you learned and grown as professional in your careers compared to who you were 20 years ago? I sure as hell have learned a lot and have grown as a professional in from when I first started my career (admittedly less 20 years).

Guys, it's a lazy take to say the guy is a lost cause because of a coaching stint from 20 years ago. Sure are there concerns or question marks? Absolutely. Respectfully, if Bryce and Homer Drew are giving a strong recommendation for him as a Coach, I'm sure as hell going to trust their opinion compared to anyone on this board.

wh

It's not a lazy take. It's common sense. Ask yourself, how many D-1 coaching vacancies are filled by a nearly 60 year old man who hasn't been a head coach for 20 years, even if he had some success back then? Now,  take the same person, only he was a bust 20 years ago? And, we actually have people who are excited about it. We have officially entered the Twilight Zone.

tiny707

Ed Shilling is 57 and has been a head coach. The head coach at San Diego State got first head coaching job at San Diego State at the age of 57 and is now 63. The head coach at Miami is 73. Again, give me some NEW names that would love to come to Valpo for the salary, facilities and financial situation. Ed Schilling would have the best resume of any hire we have ever had. Homer came from Bethel. Scott stayed one year. Bryce was an assistant at Valpo. Lottich was an assistant at  Valpo with zero head coaching experience. Fear is setting in. Trust Parker, Small and The Drew family. Watch the Ed Schilling video.

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on April 03, 2023, 09:51:22 PMMaybe we need to reconsider our preconceived assumptions.

How about giving any hire a chance to prove his ability to run a successful program and not disparage the person before they even start?

A lot of you should be ready to eat crow!!!!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tiny707

Or Her ability to coach. Ed Schillings daughter may be a better coach than him? Hire her.

wh

7 years ago, qualified assistants from any number of conferences and successful head coaches from low major conferences would have jumped at a chance to sit in the big chair at the most dominant program in the HL with its 20 year track record of success and national reputation. Instead, its AD went after the top assistant. When that didn't pan out he settled for a lower level program assistant and here we are - a pile of rubble.

First, I would to thank Mark Heckler and the Board for a lack of vision, Mark LaBarbara for a lack of leadership, and a self-serving faculty for openly resisting any and all attempts to invest in athletics. We have reaped what you sewed.