• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Hayward guest color guy on WNDY telecast of Savannah State game

Started by bbtds, November 22, 2011, 08:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Gordon Hayward was the guest commentator on the WNDY broadcast of the Savannah State at Butler game last night while he waits out the lockout that keeps him from starting his season with the Utah Jazz. One comment that Hayward related was:

he called Ron out for selling the foul... When he went to the floor he was saying that he's fine, because he was selling the foul like Matt taught them all how to do... 

You always knew Matt Howard always over sold it when he was fouled. Now we have comments collaborating that Howard was a huge faker from one of his teammates.

swiftmutiny

I enjoyed listening to him last night during the game. He sounded so natural you'd have thought he'd been commentating his entire life. Those little insider gems of information were always fun to hear as well.

sectionee

Ryan Broekhoff is an awefully big faker when it comes to taking a charge...it is just part of the game!

StlVUFan

Everybody teaches this.  I will never forget (and have probably said this too many times in the past) being on Oahu for the Yahoo Invitational at BYU-Hawaii in an empty gym watching VU take on Columbia or Buffalo and hearing Scott Drew yell out loud and clear, "Hey Antti, fall down!"  Homer, of course, scolded him.  The whole place heard him.

What's more, there's nothing wrong with it by definition.  What makes you uncomfortable about it is that there is a very thin line between the legitimate act of sacrificing your body by not bracing for impact and embellishing slight contact in the hopes of turning a no-call into a charge.

The problem is -- I suspect -- it has to be instinctive, and it is impossible to negotiate that difference in the instant it happens.  It's a very gray area, I suspect.

valpotx

I don't think it is possible for someone to run over Antti? :-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 22, 2011, 11:46:56 PM

Unless of course it was someone the size of Shaq O'Neil or bigger.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on November 22, 2011, 11:46:56 PM

Precisely the point of my anecdote ;)